Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Grimm Season 2 - 6/10.

It's set in Portland, which is pretty cool. I started watching this series when it first aired, and at the time I lived in Chicago and had NO IDEA I'd be moving to this area. I always thought. "Portland... hmm... looks pretty cool." And POOF... here I am.

But anyway...

I really want Nick's girlfriend, Juliet, to die. The entire 'lost memory' thing was dragged out WAY too long, and annoyed me more than anything.

I also find myself wishing Nick was a bit more... I dunno... 'friendly' towards his friends. it -feels- like he takes them for granted pretty regularly, when they've saved his ass many, many times. I love Renard, and Monroe, and Rosalie, though.

I love how the first reference I recall to 'Vancouver' is when one of the murderers is from there. LOL. That's right, Portlanders! WATCH YOUR BACKS!

Anyway, for me, Season 2 was a bit of let-down compared to Season 1. Still enjoyable overall, but parts/pieces felt tired and trying at times.

I am into Season 3 now and already liking it a lot better. :)

-Tim

• Like 2

Jessie 

0/5

What a horrible show.  What horrible, rich, spoiled children bitching about first world problems and setting up a false expectation of life.  I'd rather my 10 year old watch Daredevil than this pile of Disney crap.  I mean, it's a win/win for Disney, they own both!

Good Luck, Charlie

3/5

Mildly better.  Still a lot of false expectation, but more in the vein of Boy Meets World.  Enjoyed watching with my son, even if the laughter was abundantly canned.  Still a Disney show.  

So was GT.  Super takes place 6 months after Buu saga.  GT takes place 5 years after Buu Saga.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I had originally dismissed GT because it isn't cannon and has pretty bad online reviews, but I think I'm going to watch this one next. Thanks.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I had originally dismissed GT because it isn't cannon and has pretty bad online reviews, but I think I'm going to watch this one next. Thanks.

What makes it not Cannon?  Akira did original character concepts, Toei Animation did the show itself.

It, like Super, are not based on the Dragon Ball manga.  Toriyama is just more involved this time.

What makes it not Cannon?  Akira did original character concepts, Toei Animation did the show itself.

It, like Super, are not based on the Dragon Ball manga.  Toriyama is just more involved this time.

Not my call, just what wikipedia says on the subject. I didn't exactly research it very deeply. I do think that within the first few episodes, GT feels like it doesn't adhere to the past incarnations of the setting/characters. Even that first episode has pilaf with a robot to climb coran's tower, despite Dragonball making it very clear that planes couldn't even get up....

• 2 weeks later...

Watched season 2 of Arrow. I was pretty sure I'd already seen it, but I was mistaken. Nice to be wrong, as I really liked this season and I got to watch it without having to wait for new episodes.

It did seem like the middle of the season got dragged into more personal things than in saving the city, but overall, I enjoyed it. I love hating amanda waller, too, a great villain/anti-hero.

Season would be 8 or 9 of 10. Very good, but not perfect. I'm looking forward to season 3.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Season 3 of Grimm - NOW, finally, the series if getting good. The last few episodes were pretty intense, and there were a few surprises that ended the season with a bang. Much better than seasons 1 and 2, I am actually looking forward to season 4 starting here at the end of the month.

8/10.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I binge watched Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle". I never read the book (though I have read a little about this morning after finishing the show). I enjoyed the show but the execution left a lot to be desired. The story of the TV show progressed very strangely. I felt through most of the show that I was constantly waiting for that crucial piece of information that would progress the show beyond the first couple set up episodes that set up the setting and the plot. It never really came. The story makes huge jumps forward near the final couple episodes to the big reveal at at end.

Despite all of that, I still enjoyed the show. I was definitely left wanting far more than I received from the story though.

6/10

I enjoyed the show but the execution left a lot to be desired. The story of the TV show progressed very strangely. I felt through most of the show that I was constantly waiting for that crucial piece of information that would progress the show beyond the first couple set up episodes that set up the setting and the plot. It never really came.

Well, that's pretty much how Phillip K. Dick rolled in general. Can't say I'd call it a surprise.

• Like 1

Penny Dreadful - Season 1

What a... strange series. I watched season 1 over the past week, and I have to say there were parts I really liked and parts I didn't.

The show -looks- authentic. You really do get the feeling that you're looking through a window back in time to the late 1800's. The technology, the clothing, the architecture, they do a great job producing the series environment so that you -feel- like you are in the time period.

The acting, for the most part, is top-notch. Eva Green is really good (in addition to being a hottie). Timothy Dalton is an awesome veteran actor to have on the show. The list goes on.

You also get to meet a nice mish-mosh of 'legends', from Frankenstein to Vampires to a Werewolf, Dorian Gray to Van Helsing... it provides an interesting look into another writer's 'version' of these characters.

The one thing that nags at me is that sometimes I feel the director is trying 'too hard' to get some point across or to shock the viewer. I don't normally complain about gratuitous sex or violence, but in this case there are moments where it does nothing other than take up 'time'. There are also plenty of 'contrived' moments that don't make sense compared to what you've seen earlier, but thankfully those aren't too common. I can't delve into TOO much detail, because I don't want to spoil several nuggets of surprise.

Overall, it's interesting enough that I'll check out the 2nd season.

6.5/10

Jessica Jones (1st season). 7/10. It held my interest, but it wasn't anything special. Would be rated less, but that former Doctor Who as a villain was very smart casting choice, who is very good in his role. Unfortunately, he's not the main character. I'll admit, I mostly started watching because it had "marvel" on the trailer...

Protagonist is supposed to be a strong willed, strong physically, female character. Really wish they'd focus less on the sexual ends of the show, as I think they detract from the plot more than any other aspects. Constantly feels like an anime, at least regarding camera positioning. Not always a bad thing, but in this show it is. It detracts from any attempts at taking the female protagonist seriously. A male protagonist being treated this way would also have difficulty being taken seriously in the same role.