Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Gotham season 1 - So a friend of mine was bugging me about watching this, so I gave it a go on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. The show is good. The only hiccup came at the season 1 finale. The show made a sudden left turn at madmaxville. Cat, who was very consistent the entire season, suddenly decided to join a gang, get a funky hairdo, and start toting a shotgun???? Fish couldn't decide if she was the second coming or masterblaster. The final show was just plain weird. Its like someone else came in and wrote the script. Other than that, I thought it was a great show. I think Hulu has season 2, so I'll give that a go next.

Just in time.  Season 3 premieres on Sept 19th.

Read the graphic novels,if you haven't already.

so far it has only a loose affiliation with the graphic novels :D

The Get Down on Netflix, I had no expectations, I REALLY enjoyed the series.  This may be the peak of Jaden Smith's acting career :D

It's about the birth of hip hop in NYC in the 1970s, not sure how much is historically accurate but it was a fun and educational binge.

• 2 weeks later...

so far it has only a loose affiliation with the graphic novels :D

My understanding from watching "Talking Preacher" is that season 1 is essentially a prequel to the graphic novels, to basically introduce the characters and the world. Should be seeing more direct crossover from the comic in season 2 I'd imagine.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Luke Cage: Very good. I suspect others will disagree, but, personally, I liked it better than Daredevil by a considerable margin. Colter is great as Cage, wonderful supporting cast, Claire continues to be the actual best in the Marvel Netflix Universe.

I did finally manage to put my finger on something that's been bugging me about all these shows, tho: They haven't done a very good job in some ways of updating the settings and some of the backstory* like they have the characters. Where the bad neighborhoods are changes over time. Hell's Kitchen and Harlem aren't the same places they were in the 60s and 70s. They're getting pretty gentrified these days. It probably would have been more accurate to re-set these somewhere like Vinegar Hill or the south Bronx.

Shades did end up becoming a more interesting character than I expected, but I still feel like this would have been a more satisfying watch if he had been removed, and the whole thing just made a couple of episodes shorter.

Also, the ending was kind of frustrating. I realize they need to set stuff up for Defenders, but still.

*Murdock's backstory really suffers from this. His dad's arc made perfect sense as a post-war thing, but way less when it's moved to sometime around the turn of the century.

ETA: Forgot, one more thing about the ending:

I'm pretty sure the ending of that would have been very different if Diamondback had had Stark Industries weapons instead of just Hammer's stuff ;)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. You are the only person I have talked to who did not like the show. I have yet to see it, so I will keep your thoughts in mind. 

Even tho I liked it, and more specifically, I did like the slow, decompressed pacing, there were definitely places it could have been tightened up for the better. I wouldn't go so far as Bro G, but I'd say there's something like 11 episodes worth of real material in there, stretched out over 13.

• Like 4

Interesting. You are the only person I have talked to who did not like the show. I have yet to see it, so I will keep your thoughts in mind. 

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said I didn't like the pacing. There were whole episodes where literally nothing happened to advance the plot. To me, that's just wasted time. I did watch the whole thing....if there is a season 2, then I'll watch it again...but if the pacing doesn't change...maybe I'll just read spoilers to hit the high points. I don't watch TV to be bored, and several times I found myself completely bored watching Cage.

• Like 2

I feel like Luke Cage is a "Better Show" than the previous two.  A lot of the acting is horrible, though.  Even Luke's, and that was pretty off putting early in the season.  Several times I left the room for twenty minutes and didn't feel like I missed anything.  I agree, it could've been a couple episodes shorter.  As a two hour movie, I don't know if I'd have enjoyed it's content as much.  I think it'd end up like Punisher.

I enjoyed it overall, and would watch it again.  I'm not sure I'd watch JJ again.  I'd watch DD again, because of Kingpin and Punisher.  I wish they would've thrown Ghost Rider in over here instead of Agents of Shield, even if this GR and Daisy are cute and need to rage bang.  I'm feeling like AoS is losing it.

Luke Cage: The Saga of a failed Pianist 7/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Luke Cage was interesting, to be sure. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching, but I didn't really enjoy it enough to watch it again. Just didn't have a very compelling protagonist, as he basically just wants to continue an easy life, and isn't really a very motivated person.  I'm a similar person, but I don't exactly want to see a TV show made around it. 

I'll admit, I don't think I've seen a show with a large, almost entirely african-american cast in a long while. Nothing against it, but I tend to only watch sci-fi and fantasy, and this is like one of the first shows of this type. Most fantasy is mostly white guys, and most sci-fi is either a colorful mix, or one white guy and bunch of aliens/robots. Gutsy for the genre, and I think they handled it well. I hope it opens doors for the other super hero's with non-white human backgrounds. 

Gutsy for the genre?  Would you have preferred they make Luke white, to better address their target demographic? 

No, I liked it as is. I just think that for sci-fi/fantasy, making a successful tv show with mostly non-white actors is both an accomplishment and something that was daring to attempt.

Not sure how the dictionary defines it, but I use gutsy as a like the opposite of foolhardy, they're both describing risky behavior, but foolhardy is more an insult, while gutsy is more of a compliment. They took a risk, and it worked out, but the risk was gutsy because this sort of thing isn't done much on american television, and it would have been very easy for it to not work out.

First two episodes of Lethal Weapon.

so far 7.5/10.

I like it, quite a bit actually. The characters are noticeably different then the movies, and not in a bad way. Just different.  The episodes I've watched give a different take on the same themes.  They really explore Rigg's pain a lot more here which I am enjoying as well. 

The only thing I've not liked so far is the pacing...seems rushed to wrap up the crimes in a single episode.  For some reason it stands out more to me then anything I can remember.

Update: I've now watched the first 7 episodes and I'm liking it more and more.  Having more time to examine the characters of Riggs and Murtaugh, despite the slight changes from the movies, is well worth having it on TV.  The pacing seems to be under control and the last 2 episodes didn't seem as rushed.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonthan Strange and Mr. Norell 8/10 

Netflix

Magic is real and two magicians work to make magicians a reputable practice in England. Set during the Napoleonic wars. Good overall and interesting story.

I forgot that was out there! I was a fan of the book, and was looking forward to giving the show a try. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Power watched all 4 seasons of Vikings with the nasty weather that hit (not the current part of season 4).

8/10 - I liked it not only from the entertainment value but after lots and lots of Googling, there is a lot of real history they are depicting, just in a truncated timeline and blending of histories.

The 'historical' figure of Ragnar is pretty interesting, even if it is probably 10 different guy's lives all squished together.

• Like 3