Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

• 4 weeks later...

Ice Fantasy: 4/5 (Maybe 5/5). 

Chinese series. Subtitles only. 62 episodes, each about 40 minutes long. Took me a few days to finish...

Starts out with very sterotypical characters in fantasy setting. Costumes and sets are amazing, but the plot is lacking. At about the 4th episode, the characters are devoloped enough where you start really enjoying the series for more than just the sets and the costumes. At about espisode 40, the series reaches it's high point in quality, and the remaining 22 episodes are less impressive, but I was very attached to the series at that point. I do, actually, hope this one get's a sequel series.

I will note that this series plays like a live-action version of anime - emotionally driven characters and plots, action that is more effects than actual martial arts, and lots of ridiculous costumes. Unlike anime, this series has no perversion in filming or plot. Swearing also is minimal, and limited to words not always considered swear words. Very little blood shown in the entire series, only really when it matters to the plot, and even there very sparing. Definitely child friendly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Star Wars The Clone Wars animated series, seasons 1 - 6

This is a conditional mini-review:

If you start with season 3 and skip every episode with either Padme or Jar Jar. It's an excellent show. The more older seasons, Padme (insufferably dull) and Jar Jar (insufferably insufferable) you add, the worse it gets. A few of the arcs (Mortis; Dathomir/Ventress/Brothers; S05 Mando/Deathwatch; Ahsoka's S05 arc; Fives S06 opening arc) are REALLY good.

Season One of Deep Space Nine: I used to really like this show. Wow, it is almost painful now. 3/10

Season One of Dark Matter: the first three episodes are flat. It picks up a bit in a Episode 5. Episode 6 is really good and the show takes off from there. 7.5/10

Season Two of Dark Matter: Solid Sci-Fi. Has a bit of the Farscape syndrome ( You think it is bad know, wait...). 8/10

Season One of Daredevil. Or as I like to call it, The Fall of Kingpin. It is great TV. 9/10

• Like 2

Supergirl Season 1. Loved it. Great drama, great relationships, some cool fights. Gave up on Season 2 a few episodes in. Cat's gone, Carr and Mon'El are awful, Jonn feels really out of character, and it seems like Kara's been sidelined on her own show. There were some highlights: Hoechlin's performance is the first time I've ever found Superman likeable, and Lena and Maggie are great additions, but it's just not enough to make up for the downsides by a country mile.

Supergirl Season 1. Loved it. Great drama, great relationships, some cool fights. Gave up on Season 2 a few episodes in. Cat's gone, Carr and Mon'El are awful, Jonn feels really out of character, and it seems like Kara's been sidelined on her own show. There were some highlights: Hoechlin's performance is the first time I've ever found Superman likeable, and Lena and Maggie are great additions, but it's just not enough to make up for the downsides by a country mile.

Tried twice, I can't get into this one. The protagonist is just so weak willed. Maybe it get's better, later, but I haven't been able to get past the first episode. I had the same issue with the Flash, though that one eventually caught on, just because I was trying to watch Arrow, and the crossover episodes were confusing me. I like Arrow, though Daredevil's Punisher is really what I like in terms of strong willed super heroes (especially females, are really awesome characters with strong will). 

I really liked Victoria Hellsing, in Hellsing Ultimate. Awesome character, awesome female character, and did it without being the cleavage heroine.

Tried twice, I can't get into this one. The protagonist is just so weak willed. Maybe it get's better, later, but I haven't been able to get past the first episode. I had the same issue with the Flash, though that one eventually caught on, just because I was trying to watch Arrow, and the crossover episodes were confusing me. I like Arrow, though Daredevil's Punisher is really what I like in terms of strong willed super heroes (especially females, are really awesome characters with strong will). 

I really liked Victoria Hellsing, in Hellsing Ultimate. Awesome character, awesome female character, and did it without being the cleavage heroine.

It gets better. That's the starting point for her arc, the point where she just considers herself to be Kara Danvers. Once she really starts embracing her role and identity as Supergirl, things really start changing.

West World Season 1 - Awesome.  Wife loves it too! 9/10

Vikings Season 4 - I miss old Ragnar, Bjorn Rocks.  Can someone please kill Boneless?!?  8/10

The Expanse Season 2 - Awesome, so far.  Still not sure on the actor choice for Bobbi D.  9/10

The Americans - Season 1-4  I didn't even know!  I enjoy this one for the bits of spycraft, and some 80's nostalgia.  I had always ignored this one, thinking it was some Felicity One Tree Hill BS.  Happy to be surprised. Interesting to see Soviets portrayed as "not always" the bad guy, and to think about how certain events might be viewed through their lense.   7/10

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I took the opportunity to watch Season 1 of Westworld (from HBO this last November/December).

Some excellent acting.  I think I was most impressed at the end of episode 1 with Dolores' father.

The show is plot-driven and well-built.  It does a good job honoring the original concept while moving in a totally new direction.  Some of the twists and turns I predicted, others I did not.  The show does an excellent job of self-reference and tying back to earlier events.

8/10 with potential to rewatch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bob's Burgers, Seasons 1-3: Loving it. One of the best things I've found in a long time. Messed up, but in a way that's really familiar and comfortable to me. Very not for kids, despite being animated.

Rick and Morty, Season 1: Honestly, I don't see what all the hype is about. There are some great moments, but a whole lot more of it ranges from boring to annoying. Rick's voice acting contributes most of the "annoying", while the "boring" comes from a bunch of parts that feel like they were improved, and probably really should have been scripted. Even more not for kids, despite being animated.

4 hours ago, WestRider said:

Bob's Burgers, Seasons 1-3: Loving it. One of the best things I've found in a long time. Messed up, but in a way that's really familiar and comfortable to me. Very not for kids, despite being animated.

Rick and Morty, Season 1: Honestly, I don't see what all the hype is about. There are some great moments, but a whole lot more of it ranges from boring to annoying. Rick's voice acting contributes most of the "annoying", while the "boring" comes from a bunch of parts that feel like they were improved, and probably really should have been scripted. Even more not for kids, despite being animated.

Animated does not equal younger target audience. The early looney toons were designed with adults in mind (not x-rated, just they weren't marketing to kids, at least initially). 

Anyway, I think the hype for rick and morty is more in the content/plot, rather than the voice acting or animation. They've got some creative plot elements in there, I think (lot of junk too). Personally, I think their Inception satire is better than the actual movie. Season 2 has some really interesting concepts in it too. Plus there really isn't competition in the sci-fi + comedy animation genre, since futurama finished (recall a few others having ended, but can't remember them now).

13 hours ago, WestRider said:

Yeah, the bit about not being for kids was more a joke than anything else. And the plot points on Rick and Morty are the best parts, but there aren't enough good ones to pull me past the stuff that annoys me.

Fair enough, though I think you'd enjoy the second season enough with just the plot points. They really did a good job, I think, with that second season. 

Rick and Morty, one of the more amusing things for me about both seasons, is that they mostly make fun of stuff I've actually heard of. My tastes are normally outliers, at least in regard to television. Weird to consider I might be in a target audience... 

Iron Fist, Season 1: Definitely the weakest of the Marvel Netflix series so far. The best way I can think of to explain it is that Danny Rand's character arc here is supposed to be something along the lines of Luke Skywalker leaving Dagobah to try to rescue Han before he'd completed enough training, but what we actually get is more along the lines of Anakin killing the Sand People. Also, a lot of the fights are sub-par, and most of the best ones aren't even Rand's.

All that said, calling it the weakest of these so far isn't actually a particularly dire condemnation. The bar has been set pretty high here. If it had been the first of them to be released, I would have called it quite good. It just drops a bit in the context of these series taken together, since the others are better. The supporting cast is mostly great, some of the fights are genuinely awesome, and the writing is better than my Star Wars comparison may have made it seem.

Iron Fist: I liked it enough to watch the whole series this weekend. I don't think the story was as strong as the other shows, but it wasn't bad. I think the pacing was much better than Luke Cage. Had a few odd things happen that made you scratch your head. But it is a super hero show. If you are watching the others, then there's no reason not to watch this one. Not perfect, but fits in fine with the rest. Besides... Kung Fu!

Yeah, not really. The arrow was all about going on a crusade with his return. Iron Fist isn't really about that. He's just trying to reinstate himself back into the world he was taken from and find out what happened. About the only similarities are that they are rich and left for a time. Even that is fairly different. IF was ten and came back fifteen years later where no one believes it's actually him, and arrow was gone for 5 and welcomed back with open arms. IF also actually owns 51 percent of the company his father built, and arrow was just the son of a rich family with no real wealth attached to him personally.

• Like 1