Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Gate - It's hard to rate.  Anime that I am convinced is produced by the Japanese Military.  Oblivion Gate opens in Downtown, Dungeons and Dragons and Anime Tropes invade and slaughter a bunch of citizens.  Enter the JSDF, the Japanese Self Defense Force.  Powerful Rifles!  Amazing Artillery! Iron Elephants!  And then the SDF counter attack.  Call of Duty invading Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  Brutal.  It's so bad it is good.  Campy.  Very campy and propaganda filled.  

I'm on episode 13 lol  I'm enjoying it in the same way I enjoy Photon or Excel Saga.  Tickles me in the same way.

Oh yeah.  Artillery and Fighter Jets fighting Dragons and knights.  Nuff said.

ugh, but some of the sexual stuff it suggests is very "WTF, Japan?"

The Expanse:

I really expected nothing from this show. It is on Sci-Fy, they have a pretty low bar. At best, I was hoping it would be dumb fun like Defiance, instead it it turned out to be a great show that I cannot wait to watch next season. The story is great and the plot unfolded nicely.

Completely agree, really enjoyed The Expanse.

The only down side was Miller's terrible hat and the even worse haircut beneath it.

• Like 1

The producers said the hat was a gamble.....

Miller's "pork pie" hat comes straight out of the books, at least that's the term that was used in the books.  I think the show tried harder than the books did to explain where it came from... and that was only a single line of dialog, really.

The books are great by the way, if you've not already heard me touting them.  My wife and I spent some of our down time this week listening to book 3.  She's hooked!  I'm on my second read through and still picking out nuances in the story that keep making it more enjoyable.

No clue about that hair cut though...  maybe that was the gamble...

Miller's "pork pie" hat comes straight out of the books, at least that's the term that was used in the books.  I think the show tried harder than the books did to explain where it came from... and that was only a single line of dialog, really.

The books are great by the way, if you've not already heard me touting them.  My wife and I spent some of our down time this week listening to book 3.  She's hooked!  I'm on my second read through and still picking out nuances in the story that keep making it more enjoyable.

No clue about that hair cut though...  maybe that was the gamble...

Did you listen to them on Audible? Or else where?

Be Cool, Scooby Doo: Probably the closest to the original run in feel. It is updated in a lot of ways, but rather than deconstructing the show like SDMI did, it just lampshades it and turns it all up to 11. Very fun if that's your thing.

Stargate: Atlantis, ssn1-2: Solid. Not a new fave or anything, but it's good solid Star Trek-influenced Space Opera. I particularly like that the Wraith are actually fairly smart villains. They don't get outsmarted by cheap tricks, it's always legit.

Gate - It's hard to rate.  Anime that I am convinced is produced by the Japanese Military.  Oblivion Gate opens in Downtown, Dungeons and Dragons and Anime Tropes invade and slaughter a bunch of citizens.  Enter the JSDF, the Japanese Self Defense Force.  Powerful Rifles!  Amazing Artillery! Iron Elephants!  And then the SDF counter attack.  Call of Duty invading Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  Brutal.  It's so bad it is good.  Campy.  Very campy and propaganda filled. 

I think Gate is kinda clever in that it creates an excuse for the SDF to remain the SDF while going on the offensive. Most of the time, anime have to make Japan's government into an evil group in order allow their military to go on the offensive. I don't really feel it's any more propaganda than McDonald's being present in almost every anime....

That said, I got bored about a third of the way into the second season. It's just too one sided. And all the battles hinge on the SDF having both superior firepower AND ignorant enemies. They fight a very clean battle, where only bad guys die.

My wife just finished book 3 with a "wow, I can't download book 4 fast enough!"

Also saw this today:

The Lone Gunmen (Pilot):

An X-files spin off. The pilot is worth watching, if only for the plot and time of release. Basically, plot of the episode is that our government is going to pretend to be terrorists, hijack a plane, and then fly it into the World Trade Center in new york. Aired March 4, 2001...

Otherwise, I really thought it wasn't a very good pilot. 4/10. I wouldn't have watched it at all, if not for the plot and the time of release.

Be Cool, Scooby Doo: Probably the closest to the original run in feel. It is updated in a lot of ways, but rather than deconstructing the show like SDMI did, it just lampshades it and turns it all up to 11. Very fun if that's your thing.

Thank you, I'm loving this one.

• 2 weeks later...