Knights

pretre

I picked up the white dwarf yesterday and played a game with two knight paladins (dreamforge crusaders) 

All i can really say about them is they are CC murder machines...verus MCs i averaged  9 D wounds and the superheavy stomp is crazy

I take it you swung first in assault?

In theory, those knights should get munched in assault by anything that swings first and has weapons which reliably penetrate it's armor.

-Pax

With Init 4, very few MCs will swing ahead of them. And not many weapons will punch through AV13 at initiative- even MCs are generally only going to be doing 2-4 HP to one of them before getting completely mulched by that Str D sword.

I was poking at the math, and two Trygons Charging one at the same time have a decent chance of taking it down before it kills both of them. If  you're Charging the Trygons in one at a time, you're probably going to want three of them.

Given that two Trygons are slightly more expensive than a single Knight, and the Knight is faster, more resilient to most shooting, and has far better Firepower, that seems kind of off.

With Init 4, very few MCs will swing ahead of them. And not many weapons will punch through AV13 at initiative- even MCs are generally only going to be doing 2-4 HP to one of them before getting completely mulched by that Str D sword.

Smash is double strength, ap2, and rerolls on failed pens.

For initiative, this is one thing that the super heavy has working against it, no assault grenades. Should be pretty easy to strike before the super heavy if you let it charge you. That said, it might have a hammer of wrath attack, which doesn't deny armor or innatly cause ID, but is still dangerous so don't let them charge if it can be avoided.

For higher initiative on tyranid MCs, you've got the tyrant, swarmy, malanthrope, hive crone and harpy. You also have the mawloc and trygon (regular and prime) striking simotaniously. A charge using a harpy's screech would also make all tyranid MCs strike at higher or equal initiative.

I will note that assault, while a pretty reliable method to destroy these things, is probably not an ideal way to destroy them as they should be able to keep out of assault if they want given their fast speed.

-Pax

Realistically, the MCs that are likely to be assaulting it are Flyrants, Harpies, Crones, and Wraithknights- things that are as fast or faster than it, and all of them get to swing before it does. If the Knight player is playing aggressively- which they pretty much have to, as their shooting is rather mediocre- it's very possible to support the assault with other MCs thanks to a Harpy's Screech, as mentioned, and if you can get three or more such units into assault with it, it's pretty much guaranteed dead. However, you've got to be careful of that Str D explosion when it dies.

via Jes Bickham (who is the editor of White Dwarf) on GW Digital Facebook

Some clarification on the rules we presented in White Dwarf today for some folks here: the Imperial Knights don't occupy any force organisation slots, they are not Lords of War, they are an army unto themselves. Something we forgot to say is that all Imperial Knights are scoring units, and if you're playing 3-6 as a primary detachment, pick one as your Warlord.

http://natfka.blogspot.be/2014/02/imperial-knight-rules-clarification.html

Always scoring, and doesn't take up a FOC slot.  Even as allies, from what I've read.  Also, has anyone came across something saying I can't take it with Chaos, Tau, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, etc.

http://natfka.blogspot.be/2014/02/imperial-knight-rules-clarification.html

Always scoring, and doesn't take up a FOC slot.  Even as allies, from what I've read.  Also, has anyone came across something saying I can't take it with Chaos, Tau, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, etc.

That article is hardly an FAQ. Source is GW's facebook page.

Even if a true GW stance, good luck trying to convince an opponent that in addition to your 3-6 super heavy army, they are all considered scoring, one is a warlord, and your rules source is a facebook post....

-Pax

There actually are no rules for a superheavy walker moving through terrain- they have the Move Through Cover rule, but in 6th edition there aren't any actual units with a 12" move that are slowed by terrain, so there's no guideline for how to resolve it. One could presume that the 5th edition system (make a normal DT test and double the distance) is still in force, but that's really just a guess- it's just as arguable that they aren't slowed by it at all.

• Like 1

via a Reader here on Faeit 212
Here's a reply I got from GW Customer Service regarding the key question, can Chaos ally with Knights?

Date: 24 February 2014
To:              
Subject: Re: Imperial Knights

Hi
Thanks for the email, the rules printed in this week's issue of White Dwarf state that "They may also be taken as allies; you can include up to three Imperial Knights as a single allied detachment for each primary detachment in your army" As such any 40k army can take them as a allied detachment.

Perhaps the persuasive nature of Slaanesh has convinced a Freelance household to work for Chaos, or maybe they just pay better than the Forces of the Imperium.

We hope this helps and that you enjoy the new Imperial Knights.

For my brain, this means a cheap stompa. If it's really an unrestricted ally then I'm considering a "Freechoppa"  What say you?