Red Castle Games burglarized for miniatures

mightyatom13

Someone smashed a window and stole miniatures at Red Castle last night.

Here is the link to their Facebook page with photos of the perp (with his face mostly covered).

https://www.facebook.com/redcastlegames

They are offering $500 in store credit if you can provide info leading to his capture, but justice is its own reward. So take a look and see if you know this turd.

Hmm...from those pictures seems like it would have been better NOT to post those pictures and look for that hoodie...

That sucks.

In a related note, Guardian must be dealing with some theft issues as well, majority of the WarmaHordes stuff now is empty blisters and boxes on display.  Bring it up to the counter and then they go fetch the actual miniatures.

Those photos suck. Is that really as good as security cameras get? I can tell he's not me, as he's too short, and he's not evil bryan, as he's too thin, but he could be a she with that picture, might even be a robot or someone sleep walking, as that photo shows nothing useful.

Granted, go through the old footage and you can probably find a match, as it's pretty clear that the thief knows what their looking for, so they've probably come before. They don't seem too experienced, as you've got them on camera and they smashed the window.

Unlikely to find them with resale places as our hobby products have a better re-sale "black" market than just about any other product in terms of sales that don't ask questions. Still, you could use that to form a hypothesis on suspects, then use the footage to narrow it down.

Know what they stole? Odds are good that they are a regular and will bring assembled versions of whatever was stolen to the shop. Probably not right away and probably they'll be partially or fully painted. Though at this point, finding if it was stolen is pure speculation, as they could just say it was purchased online and you'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise without a warrant or some PI tailing them.

I do think that fault is not in the store, but in the manufacturer for selling the items in such horribly easy to steal packages. GW does it too. I think if the portland stores stopped stocking GW and privateer blisters on princible, GW and privateer would change their packaging...I know portland isn't a huge market, but I still think GW and privateer would consider it if they thought it would affect sales. As is, stolen merchandise is effectively sold goods on the manufacturers end - they presently have no motive to make things hard to steal.

In a related note, Guardian must be dealing with some theft issues as well, majority of the WarmaHordes stuff now is empty blisters and boxes on display.  Bring it up to the counter and then they go fetch the actual miniatures.

I asked. They said they had $500 missing when they did inventory last december and another $500 at the end of the next month. I've been suggesting something exactly like this for quite some time, as those blisters are just a losing battle in keeping them on the shelf and not in people's pockets.

Both GG and Redcastle are in bad parts of town for having a poorly defended store with that much $$$ in merchandise. Really, they should have metal bars on the windows. Could even keep them and shape the bars to fit their respective store themes (feathers for GG and castle wall or brick shapes for red castle). I don't mean to belittle the loss, by suggesting fault, I just mean that those parts of town might enjoy a more impressive defense look, so it looks harder to do this sort of thing.

Personally, I'd encourage big metal spikes and traps too, but I think there's some sort of legal issue there. A moat could be nice too, just in case of tunnellers. Both stores could use a dragon too...

I will note I'm a paranoid individual. The feature is to my advantage in this sort of situation, but has it's faults when being overly cautious isn't very useful.

-Pax

PS: For bad parts of town, take a look at the other local shops with similar cost inventories. Hobby shops are a cross breed of a pawn shop and a firing range in terms of cost of inventory and the nature of the store's clientele (spelling?). The one difference, is that hobby shops are rarely staffed by NRA members.... They should have bars in the windows minimum. Security cameras are a close second, as the camera is mostly useful after the crime has been committed, so has no defensive value to a person intent on theft, they just serve to aid in catching theives after they have already commited the crime. Cameras do detur in-store theft during store hours, but really not much better than an alert employee would.

Those security labels, ink packets, and so forth really are just for petty theft, like people stealling clothes or an occasional PC game. Most can be ignore by lining your clothes with aluminum foil, or so I understand. I love the irony that fred meyer's security can be defeated by lining your shopping bag with fred meyer products...

Best solution is, as they're doing, not having the product available for handling, while keeping tags or proxy products availible for people to know if an item is in stock. Drawback to this method is that now the staff become the first suspects if something still goes missing, which can create an unpleasant work environment.

Ideally, you want to make it so hard to steal from the store, that the people able to do it don't bother because your merchandise isn't worth the skill/time/money required to steal it.

In example, a bank robbery. The most valuable AND easy to get paid for is the vault itself. Not the money, as that's trace-able, not the people, and not anything else there. Just the metal that the vault is made of. Easy to sell, difficult to trace, and easy to find in a bank. That said, the weight issue. You'd need super-man, the hulk, or the tick to steal the vault. And they could if you had them, but if you have one of those guys in your employ, is a bank really a good target for your skill? You could hit fort knox with one of those guys, banks are too petty.

Really, though, the bigger issue is that if they can break in and take stuff out, they can also break in and put stuff in - either devices to make the next one easier or terrorism type stuff.

I have been told that having a confederate flag and NRA bumper sticker in the window is a great way to detur theft...though I'm not sure if it works on businesses or just residential homes.

Those photos suck. Is that really as good as security cameras get? I can tell he's not me, as he's too short, and he's not evil bryan, as he's too thin, but he could be a she with that picture, might even be a robot or someone sleep walking, as that photo shows nothing useful.

Granted, go through the old footage and you can probably find a match, as it's pretty clear that the thief knows what their looking for, so they've probably come before. They don't seem too experienced, as you've got them on camera and they smashed the window.

Unlikely to find them with resale places as our hobby products have a better re-sale "black" market than just about any other product in terms of sales that don't ask questions. Still, you could use that to form a hypothesis on suspects, then use the footage to narrow it down.

Know what they stole? Odds are good that they are a regular and will bring assembled versions of whatever was stolen to the shop. Probably not right away and probably they'll be partially or fully painted. Though at this point, finding if it was stolen is pure speculation, as they could just say it was purchased online and you'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise without a warrant or some PI tailing them.

I do think that fault is not in the store, but in the manufacturer for selling the items in such horribly easy to steal packages. GW does it too. I think if the portland stores stopped stocking GW and privateer blisters on princible, GW and privateer would change their packaging...I know portland isn't a huge market, but I still think GW and privateer would consider it if they thought it would affect sales. As is, stolen merchandise is effectively sold goods on the manufacturers end - they presently have no motive to make things hard to steal.

I asked. They said they had $500 missing when they did inventory last december and another $500 at the end of the next month. I've been suggesting something exactly like this for quite some time, as those blisters are just a losing battle in keeping them on the shelf and not in people's pockets.

Both GG and Redcastle are in bad parts of town for having a poorly defended store with that much $$$ in merchandise. Really, they should have metal bars on the windows. Could even keep them and shape the bars to fit their respective store themes (feathers for GG and castle wall or brick shapes for red castle). I don't mean to belittle the loss, by suggesting fault, I just mean that those parts of town might enjoy a more impressive defense look, so it looks harder to do this sort of thing.

Personally, I'd encourage big metal spikes and traps too, but I think there's some sort of legal issue there. A moat could be nice too, just in case of tunnellers. Both stores could use a dragon too...

I will note I'm a paranoid individual. The feature is to my advantage in this sort of situation, but has it's faults when being overly cautious isn't very useful.

-Pax

PS: For bad parts of town, take a look at the other local shops with similar cost inventories. Hobby shops are a cross breed of a pawn shop and a firing range in terms of cost of inventory and the nature of the store's clientele (spelling?). The one difference, is that hobby shops are rarely staffed by NRA members.... They should have bars in the windows minimum. Security cameras are a close second, as the camera is mostly useful after the crime has been committed, so has no defensive value to a person intent on theft, they just serve to aid in catching theives after they have already commited the crime. Cameras do detur in-store theft during store hours, but really not much better than an alert employee would.

Those security labels, ink packets, and so forth really are just for petty theft, like people stealling clothes or an occasional PC game. Most can be ignore by lining your clothes with aluminum foil, or so I understand. I love the irony that fred meyer's security can be defeated by lining your shopping bag with fred meyer products...

Best solution is, as they're doing, not having the product available for handling, while keeping tags or proxy products availible for people to know if an item is in stock. Drawback to this method is that now the staff become the first suspects if something still goes missing, which can create an unpleasant work environment.

Ideally, you want to make it so hard to steal from the store, that the people able to do it don't bother because your merchandise isn't worth the skill/time/money required to steal it.

In example, a bank robbery. The most valuable AND easy to get paid for is the vault itself. Not the money, as that's trace-able, not the people, and not anything else there. Just the metal that the vault is made of. Easy to sell, difficult to trace, and easy to find in a bank. That said, the weight issue. You'd need super-man, the hulk, or the tick to steal the vault. And they could if you had them, but if you have one of those guys in your employ, is a bank really a good target for your skill? You could hit fort knox with one of those guys, banks are too petty.

FRAT
  • Like 1

I don't know. He took the time to wear a mask and gloves. The glasses could be fake, as could the hoodie. Bought for 2 bucks at a thrift store. Id stick to what is certain, that being his height, build, hair color. I find it unlikely the shoes are thrift store, yet i guess just as likely as the hoodie.

Obviously I'd look out for the hoodie but not only that. Same with glasses. Don't rule out those perfect vision mofos that fit the description in the area.

Wow, no "GW prices are so high one has to resort to stealing to get his mini's fix" comments yet? :D

Doesn't seem like GW's fault in many respects. It would be nice if GW provided some manner of information tagging, so the shop owners could have even a chance at proving stolen goods came from their shop and not another.

Issue 1 is that the hobby store is filled with lots of high cost products with easy resale and great proving where they came from. Issue 2 is that the geeks that staff most hobby shops are not very combat oriented. Issue 3, and this is really the big one in the red castle scenario above, is that the police responded far too slowly for the level of security at Red Castle.

I don't really blame Red Castle, but if the Portland Police's 24 minute arrival after an alarm is something that will be consistent, Red Castle really needs to up it's security. If the police response time was a fluke, they might be fine as is. I've been told that you can pay a "fee" to have portland police make more regular sweeps of your area.

Still, window bars seem like a really logical option at Red Castle. Not very expensive at all, with most of the cost being the welder that puts them together. Another option is those store window display "rooms" where there is an area behind the glass, but it's walled off from the rest of the store. That looks pretty good if bars aren't good enough for you.

-Pax

Well Pax, I was being facetious. :)

And to be honest, it's pretty typical for cops to show up late to a robbery.  There are other, certainly more important crimes, like speeding, running stop lights and a few corners where the vans and cameras aren't located that could be generating the city revenue.  

And all sarcasm aside, I worked a retail location in Miwaukie years ago, and they changed the alarm code on me.  The alarm went of for 90 minutes before a cop decided to show up.

And to be honest, it's pretty typical for cops to show up late to a robbery.  There are other, certainly more important crimes, like speeding, running stop lights and a few corners where the vans and cameras aren't located that could be generating the city revenue.  

And all sarcasm aside, I worked a retail location in Miwaukie years ago, and they changed the alarm code on me.  The alarm went of for 90 minutes before a cop decided to show up.

So, if that's the case, why have the alarm at all? Seems like a wasted bill with that response time. At 5-10 minutes, I'd consider an alarm. Anything less than that makes the alarm mostly useless - not unlike the security camera taking those photos...

Yeah, I suggest traps designed to make the thief look clumsy rather than looking like the actual traps they are (for legal reasons...).

-Pax

Because you still need to deter people from hanging around and stealing at leisure?  An alarm going off alerts people that something is going on and encourages the individual who set the alarm off to stop what they are doing and get out before the police arrive.  If I were a business owner I would definitely prefer the police showing up after 20 minutes rather than not showing up at all.  Plus its probably required by their insurance policy.

Plus its probably required by their insurance policy.

Ah, right, insurance. I always forget about this feature. So does business insurance cover theft? Probably does, so I guess it isn't as bad as it could be for Red Castle.