40K OFCC Team Event - Conversation starts here!

evil_bryan

So it's competitive X-wing season and I checked out on 40k for a couple months. I need to catch up and I've got a few questions:

1) There's stratagem decks now? I'll be confused by them, that's certain. Any point in researching or should I just drink anytime my opponent tries to explain them to me? I don't like "gotchas" but I don't like research more. 

2) Last I heard DE (Drukhari to the layperson) were the best ev4r and now I hear we're some garbage pile. Should I panic? Fret? Stew?

3) We're still debating Lords of War? I enjoyed them last edition because pieplates vs. 5 man squads always tickled me. Like a freckled buttcheek, they were. 

4) On the barometric scale, how close are "the skies"? Up with the clouds still or roughly eyebrow height?

On 1/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, Kelharis said:

Truthfully, a codex seems to be more of an OP/not OP measure, but I'm hopeful that all the major factions will have a 'Dex by August.  

5) What do you mean YOU people?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Munkie said:

So it's competitive X-wing season and I checked out on 40k for a couple months. I need to catch up and I've got a few questions:

1) There's stratagem decks now? 

They make it so I don't have to open my book to read them. I can also just hand you the card and a piece of Potklava so you can digest the deeper meaning of the color of your dice while wondering what this piece of cardboard is doing in your hand.

2) Last I heard DE (Drukhari to the layperson) were the best ev4r and now I hear we're some garbage pile. Should I panic? Fret? Stew?

I hear they worship Khorne, now.

3) We're still debating Lords of War?

No frackin [big bad swear word]

4) On the barometric scale, how close are "the skies"? Up with the clouds still or roughly eyebrow height?

Varies. Fliers can't be charged by units that don't have FLY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Munkie said:

1) There's stratagem decks now? I'll be confused by them, that's certain. Any point in researching or should I just drink anytime my opponent tries to explain them to me? I don't like "gotchas" but I don't like research more. 

3) We're still debating Lords of War? I enjoyed them last edition because pieplates vs. 5 man squads always tickled me. Like a freckled buttcheek, they were. 

5) What do you mean YOU people?

Great to see you posting... we can chat face to face soon. Strategems brought back a number of the flair rules for "codex" armies... lots of the stuff you expected index units to do now happen but in a way limited by how you construct your army (command points)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

They make it so I don't have to open my book to read them. I can also just hand you the card and a piece of Potklava so you can digest the deeper meaning of the color of your dice while wondering what this piece of cardboard is doing in your hand.

Stop. You had me at "don't have to open my book." Everything after that is just gravy.

6 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I hear they worship Khorne, now.

Okay, Uh, I'm confused. I'm angry. And I'm armed.
16 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Varies. Fliers can't be charged by units that don't have FLY.

That checks out.

• Like 1

With us reaching Page 8, I turn to the Magic 8 Ball for this next tidbit.

"Oh Magic 8 Ball, will the OFCC be an ITC event or use ITC rules?"

Image result for magic 8 ball my sources say no

Now don't get me wrong, I am HUGE fan of Reece, Frankie and everyone else associated with Frontline/ITC/LVO etc. I think they have been an immensely positive force on the gaming community and I would be happy to advocate for them every opportunity I could. I would really have a hard time running out of nice things to say, but that is not the purpose of this thread. :)

Unfortunately, in my opinion the ITC approach to 40K does not align well to the OFCC approach to 40K. That is why OFCC will not use ITC rules

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I could have my Evil Elves mixed up.

Could happen to anyone. I paint em different for a reason. Are their ears pointy? Do they frolic hither and thither? Yeah that's an elf.

Is it a focused frolic? Is it a jovial frolic? Is it a menacing frolic?

These are the kind of questions that keep many a 40k player up at night. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, evil_bryan said:

With us reaching Page 8, I turn to the Magic 8 Ball for this next tidbit.

"Oh Magic 8 Ball, will the OFCC be an ITC event or use ITC rules?"

Image result for magic 8 ball my sources say no

Now don't get me wrong, I am HUGE fan of Reece, Frankie and everyone else associated with Frontline/ITC/LVO etc. I think they have been an immensely positive force on the gaming community and I would be happy to advocate for them every opportunity I could. I would really have a hard time running out of nice things to say, but that is not the purpose of this thread. :)

Unfortunately, in my opinion the ITC approach to 40K does not align well to the OFCC approach to 40K. That is why OFCC will not use ITC rules

This is pretty cool cuz your club's terrain puts allot out there to shame and I trust the all mighty bacon lord in things ofcc :yourock:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PumpkinHead said:

I am just curious if there will be any limitations on lists. Like can i run a -12 CP list?

Technically, no. Not anything to do with the OFCC. One of the FAQs said that you can never go below 0 CP. What I'm guessing you actually meant, tho, is "Can I run a list consisting of nothing but 15 Aux Support Detachments?" On that, I have no idea ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WestRider said:

Technically, no. Not anything to do with the OFCC. One of the FAQs said that you can never go below 0 CP. What I'm guessing you actually meant, tho, is "Can I run a list consisting of nothing but 15 Aux Support Detachments?" On that, I have no idea ;)

At that point just don't battle forge absolutely no reason to even bother. 

I do wonder if and or what the detachment requirements will be... pretty important to the listing phase

Edited by VonVilkee
additional thought
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pretre said:

I'm gonna bet that there will be a required Brigade/Battalion.

37 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

STFU, Donnie!

I think it would be cool if there were a bonus for COMPLETLY filling out a force org chart, be it Vanguard, Brigade, Outrider, or whatever.

Double Bonus if across all four armies of a team there is at least one of each detachment represented, even if minimum. (Who gets 'forced' to take the auxiliary detachment? Captains take the bullet?)

Might put too much emphasis on Guard, though since they can cheaply and effectively fill out force org slots, though....

• Like 2