Summer cooking

Brick Bungalow

With the restrictions on restaurants and bars I've had to do more cooking at home. When the weather gets warm I tend to avoid using the stove. So, bbq season. I've been practicing with both the grill and the smoker. In particular salsa. I just polished off the serrano pineapple. Not its time for bird chiles and mango. 

Anyone else taking advantage of quarantine to try new recipes?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The wife got a bread maker, so she has been trying all sorts of different breads. Delicious, but bad for the belt line.  I think we have perfected our guacamole through the use of feeding neighbors. Our last kicker for perfection was the Los Calientes Rojo hot sauce we add a bit of. It has a taco sort of flavor while bringing a spot of heat.

Our grill died a glorious death by melting the knobs on the front, so we haven't grilled all summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

Our grill died a glorious death by melting the knobs on the front, so we haven't grilled all summer.

Serves you right for using that heretical gas to power your grill. Should have been using wood charcoal, like the most holy God-Emperor intended. And none of that match light stuff, that's the path to madness!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Serves you right for using that heretical gas to power your grill. Should have been using wood charcoal, like the most holy God-Emperor intended. And none of that match light stuff, that's the path to madness!

Yeah I understand. The convenience was too hard to pass up. It was nice to be able to turn it on a grill a steak, rather then fight with charcoal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Romans832 said:

For my birthday my family got me a Traeger.

One of the Caskcade Locals was selling his yearling Pro. We talked June 30, 2020, he purchased it July 01, 2019.

Been having a BLAST grilling and smoking on it!

But HATE the price of meat... I go broke SO fast!

Yeah it's been a disappointing time watching meat prices... Get some pecan pellets, cast iron pans and start baking cookies and or muffins!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobynMM said:

I picked up a sous vide and have been working on taking my steak game up a notch 😉 

“Any decent chef will tell you, you don't even want to let those things touch the grill. Make it dryer than a fart. What ya wanna do, pan sear it, both sides, finish her off in the ovens.”

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 4:23 PM, Romans832 said:

For my birthday my family got me a Traeger.

One of the Caskcade Locals was selling his yearling Pro. We talked June 30, 2020, he purchased it July 01, 2019.

Been having a BLAST grilling and smoking on it!

But HATE the price of meat... I go broke SO fast!

Costco and Cash N Carry are your friends for big cuts. 

Find a Hispanic meat market near you.  They have great cuts for the grill.

• Thanks 1

If you have space for it, a big dedicated chest freezer is your best bet. Then you can go to a good butcher and just buy a whole sheep, whole goat, whole pig, or half a cow. You’ll have to pay a lot in one lump sum, but it usually works out to  be half (or less) the dollars per pound you’d be paying for individual packages at the supermarket.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the carnivore diet so all i do is bbq the meats; however my seasonings are extremely limited.

I only use charcoal.  Ribeyes get the most grill time.  I'll do carne asada from the meat market in Independence.  The marinade they hook you up with is amazing.

I also like tossing bacon on the grill to put over my roasts.  I'll slow cook the roast in the instapot then toss it on the grill for some smoke flavor and let the bacon fat drip all over it.  I don't add water to the roast and just let the big piece of fat create the juice needed.

The cast iron gets used on the grill a lot.  I'm a huge fan of cast iron cooking.  Al pastor, steaks, etc.  Cast iron cooking is my favorite way of cooking and the smoke flavor from the grill makes it more delicious.

I love cooking and bbqing is the best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ish said:

If you have space for it, a big dedicated chest freezer is your best bet. Then you can go to a good butcher and just buy a whole sheep, whole goat, whole pig, or half a cow. You’ll have to pay a lot in one lump sum, but it usually works out to  be half (or less) the dollars per pound you’d be paying for individual packages at the supermarket.

A good quality cow will run roughly $1,500.00 for half a cow.  I pick mine up next month.  Cant wait!!!

• Like 4

I second this. My family does it every year; we just got through a quarter cow, and we do a regular salmon share through Iliamna Fish Company. We also used to buy lots of 20 chickens from a farm out near Yamhill, but they stopped doing it...

Word of warning, though: with the current supply chain problems, even whole or half animals are getting a little more difficult to find; we've been trying to source half an organic (etc.) hog, and have had some delays because of more demand than usual.

Also, if you've never been to Gartner's Meat Market on Northeast Killingsworth, you owe it to yourself to visit. They're great. (Not cheap, but great.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MexicanNinja said:

A good quality cow will run roughly $1,500.00 for half a cow.  I pick mine up next month.  Cant wait!!!

I’ve been looking for where to locally buy cow portions(?) is there a word for that? Cowshare? I’ve found some meat csa’s but they were waaaay overpriced (nope - not paying 10$/lb on chicken). I’d love more info on a reasonable source.

• Like 1