Hoo boy. Here we go. Competition and OFCC

pretre

Thanks for the clarification, guys.

This may be just from a guard players perspective....but I feel like people always under prepare for armor. I mean anything can kill an infantry model.

That and flyers, you just never know when you are gonna fight a single flyer and you can ignore it....or when you are gonna be fighting a fleet/horde of flying MC

I tend to bring overkill for anti-tank and sequentially suffer against hordes.

This may be just from a guard players perspective....but I feel like people always under prepare for armor. I mean anything can kill an infantry model.

That and flyers, you just never know when you are gonna fight a single flyer and you can ignore it....or when you are gonna be fighting a fleet/horde of flying MC

I agree with you, as a serpent spam player

The other one is how often players forget about grenades in this edition. Not just throwing them, but also forgetting they have krak grenades.

Grenades are a nice little perk for a boost of shooting...but really they are pretty last ditch efforts. I don't see the use in paying for them if you don't already have them.

Guard may have to pay for them, not sure, but the marine players get them stock. They are pretty impressive, both for shooting and assault. Against vehicles, they really do destroy rear AV10 vehicles quite quickly. Not melta bombs, but impressive. They can also be snapped at flyers, which although is really low odds to hit, they damage flyers like any other vehicle.

The eldar players often have plasma grenades, which are rather impressive when lobbed, being S4 ap4 blasts. Not amazing, but you can damage scouts and other infantry squads, and a slim chance to damage AV10 vehicles.

Even throwing basic frag grenades are often more impressive than lasguns.

EDIT: also, wasn't talking about paying for grenades, was talking about forgetting you have grenades on the stock model.

Necrontyr said:

I agree with you, as a serpent spam player

Or facing 3 Helldrakes, 3 squads of oblits(one deep striking), Typhus, and 170 zombies.  Under prepare for flyers? You are screwed.  Under prepare for deepstrikers/reserves.  You are screwed.  Under prepare for hordes. You are screwed.  Bring an all comers list.  You are screwed.  Did I mention I had a very friendly opponent?

edited for my inability.  

• Like 2

Necrontyr said:

Or facing 3 Helldrakes, 3 squads of oblits(one deep striking), Typhus, and 170 zombies.  Under prepare for flyers? You are screwed.  Under prepare for deepstrikers/reserves.  You are screwed.  Under prepare for hordes. You are screwed.  Bring an all comers list.  You are screwed.  Did I mention I had a very friendly opponent?

edited for my inability.  

The only thing that worries me there is the flyers. Its a lot of bodies to chew through but aside from the oblits there isn't much shooting. 

DAMNIT MULTIQUOTES WHY YOU NO WORK!!!!    

go page 18 go.

I as well have had difficulties with the multi quotes.  I doesn't work the way you think it will work.  

From my experience in 6th edition, I actually preferred when my opponent took 3 helturkeys, it meant they wasted a fast attack slot.  I would rather face 3 helturkeys than 2 helturkeys and a max unit of spawn.  However, in 7th it is entirely possible to face 3 helturkeys and a max unit of spawn.  That seems very very bad imo

on a cereal note:

It would be nice to take what was once a source of a communal cringe and turn it into something fun.

The encouraging thing about an OFCC rant is that people are passionate about the hobby and their perspective to what a 'fun event' means.  This means they care, are invested in building community and want to have fun games over a weekend amongst, amongst is too a real word you stupid forum: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amongst, their fellow gamers.  These are exactly the kind a people I want to play games with.  

This will NEVER be perfect, because there are humans involved, even if we went with a more balanced game like chess, checkers or Khet.

• Like 4

Yeah, that wasn't rated terribly high, iirc.

If I remembered to bring at least some way to fight a flyer, then that list would be a fun fight the zombie apocalypse battle. 

I as well have had difficulties with the multi quotes.  I doesn't work the way you think it will work.  

From my experience in 6th edition, I actually preferred when my opponent took 3 helturkeys, it meant they wasted a fast attack slot.  I would rather face 3 helturkeys than 2 helturkeys and a max unit of spawn.  However, in 7th it is entirely possible to face 3 helturkeys and a max unit of spawn.  That seems very very bad imo

i quoted you ppl!

you click the "multiquote" button on each post you want to quote and then you click the pop up in the bottom right that says "reply to 3 multiquotes" and it inserts them into the reply

• Like 3

i quoted you ppl!

you click the "multiquote" button on each post you want to quote and then you click the pop up in the bottom right that says "reply to 3 multiquotes" and it inserts them into the reply

And there is nothing wrong with a courtesy sniff, it's just good manners.

That's true! Because you are just hoping to find something worse in the future that they will have to sniff.

Did it work?

Yay! Thank you for the education that button was kinda hard to see...

• Like 1

Intrizic, I think you really hit a big nail on the head there.  Why does everyone keep bitching year after year about OFCC?  Because we love it.  Those individuals that bitched and couldn't come to terms, or had a chip on their shoulder (for legit or perceived issues), where are they now?  Do they even participate in the community anymore?  Are they the types of individuals that would potentially be banned, or uninvited from the event?  All rhetoric, of course.  

I don't think I've read at any point in time "OFCC is such a poopstick event ran by a bunch of asshat clowns that can't stop huffing primer long enough to pull Marnius' "Power Sword" out of their bum."  It's always, "I love OFCC, but I find this specific circumstance at the event created an emotionally charged response in me, but I'd totally go again!"

• Like 4

The problem is that when you are catering to a certain aesthetic, it's hard to capture it and everyone argues about semantics.  

Normal tournaments are't trying to capture an ideal unless it is "win," therefore there isn't all this hand wringing about people's feelings.  

I find the people that enjoy the OFCC the most play the same kind of lists and with the same attitude at OFCC as they do in home games and in tournaments.

• Like 4