Hoo boy. Here we go. Competition and OFCC

pretre

You should go back and see your earlier post then. If I have an opinion that says the revenant sit okay and the others are (ie an opinion) I lose and fall off a cliff. That's what you said.

No.

The REASON you fall off the cliff:  if you espouse the "approved" issue as your argument  ("approved is approved, sorry man, says so on the label so I'm using this Forge World thingee...")... but then turn around and say "yes except THAT unit because {insert negative opinion here}" you fall off the slippery cliff.  

Obviously you've made clear that you DON'T really believe that approved means approved after all.  What you really meant all along was "approved by my opinion".  Which is hypocrisy because the argument of "approved" that you used is one you are now denying your opponent!!!  Ergo, hypocrisy is the worst thing ever.

On the other hand if you simply say it is an opinion, no cliff.  You have said that it is your sense of balance that leads you to the belief that a Revenant should not be allowed and therefore approved ceases to be a valid argument, lest you tempt hypocrisy again.

Therefore, If you claim the right to play something because its approved, you have no choice but be a hypocrite if you disallow the Revenant.  So don't use the approved argument as a reason...at all...and you're fine.

Now do you understand?

Man, you're twisted up on this. Go imbibe an adult beverage and forget about FW for a while. :)

On topic:

It is my opinion that some FW units are appropriate for play. In fact, the vast majority of them. Approval has nothing to do with it. I don't remember ever saying it did, but I'm forgetful.

Man, you're twisted up on this. Go imbibe an adult beverage and forget about FW for a while. :)

On topic:

It is my opinion that some FW units are appropriate for play. In fact, the vast majority of them. Approval has nothing to do with it. I don't remember ever saying it did, but I'm forgetful.

an enlightened return volley to be sure.  I will.  Dr. Pepper methinks.

Hanaur. I'm not calling you out. We've met and played a great game at an epic nerd-fest known as "Fluger's battle royale".

I understand your reticence to FW, it can be ugly. I want to give you a counter point. We played my Trukk Orks vs your flying doom Eldar. At the end of turn one it was obvious I would have lost but did we quit? No. Did we quit when the sun went down? No! We played by flashlight because we were having fun. My last squad of Trukk Boyz, alone and surrounded by Warwalkers shot down a freaking airplane by spraying the sky with lead and that one-in-a-million shot took it down. Hands down one of the most fun games I've ever played, also probably the hardest defeat I've suffered. I would have been tabled next turn if it hadn't ended and I barely scratched your army. Like I said, it was a truly epic battle and I hope you enjoyed it as well. Now here's my question. Would that game have been less fun if I'd fielded some Grot tanks? When the sun went down would you have called it quits if I'd brought a big trakk? I think you would have grabbed that flashlight just like you did and we would have duked it out all the same. This is my argument, OFCC is the place that guys like me can bring their scratch built grot tanks and not get their teeth kicked in. OFCC is the place where we trust the players not to abuse the system and we have a list committe to help captains guide their teams. I spent Six plus months getting ready for OFCC last year and wasn't able to go. I'm already preparing for next year.

• Like 9

I have a Revenant - I would never consider playing it in a normal game of 40k. Heck - I played my phantom on Black Friday in a Apoc game - and I felt abusive lol.

Careful. There are three guys, on these very boards, who will kill you for not letting them play their revenant. They might think of you as some sort of traitor for Owning one and not supporting them. ;)

Good lord, this thread is insane.  Seriously guys, this is getting a little nuts. 

So let me pour water on this grease fire.  :wink:

In regards to FW, clearly the Senate feels it is inline with the spirit of OFCC because they have allowed the HOG to allow it for a couple years now.  This last OFCC was the first one I've missed since I started going in 2009 if I can recall correctly.  I'm surprised at the aspect of calling Best Generals a joke award when it is treated as equally as painting and overall, as far as I can tell, only the Sportsmanship award is shown extra prestige, and beyond a minute speech as to why it is so important and who it honors there isn't much to it at that.  Heck, the bucket goes to the Overall winner, not the Sportsmanship winner.  

I guess what I am saying is that maybe we should look to the Senate to take more action in trying to make it a little more clear where they want OFCC to go.  I also heard through a little bird about the new event plans and staging next year and think that it will make an interesting compromise but I'm a little sad that people will be forced essentially to pick one or the other. 

I misunderstood the mission and spirit of OFCC for a long time.  I used to think it was about celebrating all aspects of the hobby equally, and I was told that this isn't accurate.  WHICH IS FINE!!! But the issue was for the longest time that I had the spirit in my head wrong, and to be honest I still think I have it wrong because I'm not entirely sure what it is.  Have 5 great games is awesome, but what does that mean?  I can have 5 great games at a competitive event like BAO and a very not competitive event like OFCC.  Again, the problem I think is a lack of communication or more likely a mis-communication.  I love seeing all you fellow nerds and catching up and marveling at all your armies, but I think the way some people react when they see armies and lists at OFCC is maybe, dare I say it, over the top?  

Anyways, I'll wrap this up.  Senate, please give us a more in depth direction of what OFCC is.  A slogan attached to the event would be great, or a mission statement that is repeated so often when OFCC is mentioned it becomes drilled into our brains.  Just a humble suggestion.  I love the event and plan on continuing my attendance annually until another personal matter drags me away kicking and screaming.   

• Like 3

If you'd like to have a highlander event then GOYA and run it, sounds like a hoot.  But don't pitch the ball over the fence and complain about the organizers and how "someone" else should do it, or call out the organizers for not "doing something about the problem".

It's a game, there is no problem.  If you want balance play chess.

Let's move on to putting our man dollies together.

• Like 1

Hanaur. I'm not calling you out. We've met and played a great game at an epic nerd-fest known as "Fluger's battle royale".

I understand your reticence to FW, it can be ugly. I want to give you a counter point. We played my Trukk Orks vs your flying doom Eldar. At the end of turn one it was obvious I would have lost but did we quit? No. Did we quit when the sun went down? No! We played by flashlight because we were having fun. My last squad of Trukk Boyz, alone and surrounded by Warwalkers shot down a freaking airplane by spraying the sky with lead and that one-in-a-million shot took it down. Hands down one of the most fun games I've ever played, also probably the hardest defeat I've suffered. I would have been tabled next turn if it hadn't ended and I barely scratched your army. Like I said, it was a truly epic battle and I hope you enjoyed it as well. Now here's my question. Would that game have been less fun if I'd fielded some Grot tanks? When the sun went down would you have called it quits if I'd brought a big trakk? I think you would have grabbed that flashlight just like you did and we would have duked it out all the same. This is my argument, OFCC is the place that guys like me can bring their scratch built grot tanks and not get their teeth kicked in. OFCC is the place where we trust the players not to abuse the system and we have a list committe to help captains guide their teams. I spent Six plus months getting ready for OFCC last year and wasn't able to go. I'm already preparing for next year.

Ah man, that WAS a good time!  Fluger is an awesome host too (Brisket?  psh.  So there).  The flash lights and sheer determination to continue on by everyone were definitely cool and the crashing plane was a pretty cool moment, I won't lie.

No I would not have quit on you had you brought a grot tank or a Big Trakk.  To be honest, no idea what they even do and I never saw one fielded that I recall, but I am sure it's one of the many Forge World models that is "just fine". 

You are right to love the OFCC event.  I feel and have felt so strongly in favor of its stated tenets that it causes me a great passion to see it continue, as OFCC, and not just another tournament.  I made that clear in my blog.  If that passion is mistaken for something negative by some, that's on them, but my passion is for a strong OFCC and not against it.

I'm fortunate.  I never have struggled with the limitations and allowances of the OFCC.  I adapt well.  My teams pretty well tanked our lists two years running just to insure we would be in the spirit of the event.  I was there when they first allowed Forge World, and I did much better than fine.  So this demonstrably does not come from a place of "fearing" Forge World on a personal level.  It's not about that, as I've said.

So no, I would not have quit on you.  You were nothing but a great opponent.

I have a Revenant - I would never consider playing it in a normal game of 40k. Heck - I played my phantom on Black Friday in a Apoc game - and I felt abusive lol.

And yours is beautiful too.

In apoc, though, if they've played a few games with the apoc rules, there are solid counters to the revenant(in apocalypse). It's a nasty unit to face for the first time in any setting, but much more manageable in apoc.