Hoo boy. Here we go. Competition and OFCC

pretre

Don't know how many times I have said the best general is a joke award. It's just there. It means nothing. Don't know how anyone would not understand that with how many times it's been said

Not trying to start a fight here. :)

The problem is you call up a team and give them a nice award. This year it was very nice medals. If it is a joke, make them cardboard or something and hand colored by a 2 year old. (And no, I'm not going for best general, I know my teams limitations and we probably will never achieve that even with Frenchy on board).

Another conflict is that you say that the sportsmanship award is the top prize, but give the top prize (the bucket) to the best Overall team. (which I don't necessarily disagree that the top prize goes to overall as I feel that is the best prize to get.)

These are just some conflicting things I've seen in the past three years and just think they seem funny.

• Like 2

people who play competitively aren't there to "make [their] opponent's games hell." That's exactly the same kind of elitist nonsense that, done the other way around, says that casual gamers are a bunch of clueless n00bs who rage about rules they don't understand. It would be nice if folks on both sides would drop the rhetoric, because it's not helping any.

I agree that people that play competitively aren't always playing in a manner to "make their opponent's games hell." Most certainly a back and forth thing. 

That said, the OFCC IS an elitist event. We make this very clear by having it invite only and by scoring based on teams of players. I could be wrong, but I believe the captains must also all be in the Ordo senate, which adds to the elitist feel.

I'm not complaining, was just pointing it out.

Well arent we trying to make the game about fun? Make the two amazrded prizes be best painted and sportsmanship. Then raffle stuff. That was it rewards someone who takes a list for the astetics and has fun playing it to play it. That way there is no focus on anyform of actual playing except how nice and curteous you are.

If we could even replace best general with the wooden spoon.

Or say simething like best general goes to the play with the most draws, or soemthing that is harder to acheive.

Well arent we trying to make the game about fun? Make the two amazrded prizes be best painted and sportsmanship. Then raffle stuff. That was it rewards someone who takes a list for the astetics and has fun playing it to play it. That way there is no focus on anyform of actual playing except how nice and curteous you are.

If we could even replace best general with the wooden spoon.

Or say simething like best general goes to the play with the most draws, or soemthing that is harder to acheive.

I like the idea of having or even replacing best general with wooden spoon. We also do raffle off a bunch of stuff every year. As we get more and more prize support, this is being done during the last day of the event and an organizer comes to a table and has each player roll a dice to see you gets the prize.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to make a golden trophy for best general.

Large man with a large club, crushing a little bunny. On the bottom, room to write the winner's name. Trophy is displayed at WOW all year. Next year the new winner adds their name, Stanley Cup style. It's permanent so winning is still recognized but "cute" enough that the overlying theme of the event is still preserved;)

• Like 1

I'd be happy to make a golden trophy for best general.

Large man with a large club, crushing a little bunny. On the bottom, room to write the winner's name. Trophy is displayed at WOW all year. Next year the new winner adds their name, Stanley Cup style. It's permanent so winning is still recognized but "cute" enough that the overlying theme of the event is still preserved;)

The Bambi Cup?

The golden whomper!

This sold gold* baseball bat comes richly adorned with an assortment of finely crafted, Holy Relic, smashing attachments. Including, but not limited to:

Twice-blessed nails used to secure the feet of heretics to a board from Holy Terra

Chains once attached to the famous "Sinners wall of Bascilla Prime"

Bolts from an Electro Priest's chastity belt**

*Solid gold refers to the color of spray paint, no actual gold solid or otherwise

**Holy relics refers to whatever flotsam and/or jetsam I pull out of the bottom of my tool belt on Friday evening.

So the truth is that you guys just want to make awards.... :biggrin:

Have you considering just having each team make an award, then giving teams with high scores, like best general/sportsmen, the first pick of awards?

So the truth is that you guys just want to make awards.... :biggrin:

Have you considering just having each team make an award, then giving teams with high scores, like best general/sportsmen, the first pick of awards?

I really love the idea, but my only concern is the award ceremony running long as every team would get an award eventually.

All, rather than dump on the volunteer organizers then help. I helped and played this year for the first time. The amount of work involved just to get this event run is tremendous. The way I see it is that we are adults and should be able to self police to a large degree.

I have little patience for the attitude that somehow the organizers are at fault.

As has been stated many times this is an event, not a tournament. Some of your opponents may be dicks or have mean lists. Get over it. It's not up to the organizers to babysit.

I'm hoping to run something next year. If it doesn't work out, then that's fine. I'm not a paid , full time event coordinator and neither are any of the organizers.

• Like 2

All, rather than dump on the volunteer organizers then help. I helped and played this year for the first time. The amount of work involved just to get this event run is tremendous. The way I see it is that we are adults and should be able to self police to a large degree.

I have little patience for the attitude that somehow the organizers are at fault.

As has been stated many times this is an event, not a tournament. Some of your opponents may be dicks or have mean lists. Get over it. It's not up to the organizers to babysit.

I'm hoping to run something next year. If it doesn't work out, then that's fine. I'm not a paid , full time event coordinator and neither are any of the organizers.

I don't think we were blaming the Organizers, who do deserve out resepect for their hard work, but are more discussing different ideas as to how list rating could be made easier for the raters. As ths event gets bigger the list rating gets harder.

Trust me we are not getting on the organizers at all. Or at least not that I have seen.

• Like 1

No issues captain a. Was just commenting on some implying we have not made the general award thing abundantly clear in threads.

Again. I also would love to get rid of all awards. But thnk attendance would suffer

Preface:  We all kow there's no secret kabal with inthe organizers trying to ruin ANYTHING.

Perhaps attendance is a bad goal in the grand scheme?

I think making it a goal at all might be a problem easily solved.  I think the people who love what OFCC was will love it more if you don't give focus on attendance at all.  Attendance automatically comes if people had fun.  Automatically.

The identity of OFCC is deeply affected by a wish to have better attendance.  Consider this, just for a moment:  I frankly would bet that a majority of my past OFCC opponents would gladly have made their lists friendlier if you asked them to.  I would bet on it.  They get OFCC.  I can maybe think of one person ever that would have batted an eye at the request.

So the push for attendance may not be the best thing for it.  I think it's a happy by product of being what it is.  The identity of the OFCC sold those tickets, not the compromises it made to power gamers.

If I were head of gaming or even on the senate, my message or platform would be simple:  Let's get back to a world without heroes, so to speak (not literally of course).  I like an OFCC that simply holds the line and says "yeah your models are cool and the models are painted...  But if you wanna' be in THIS tournament, yer gonna' have to paint just a few more and broaden your skills as a General, because the focus here is on fun and if the newest player can't at least have a shot at every game, we're doing it wrong.  You have a whole year so get crackin'"

The gaming community is a better place if the OFCC sticks to its original guns.  You'll lose a few and gain a few.  And that's okay.  The ones you lose will be back eventually if they were ever interested in the mission in the first place.

• Like 1

Perhaps attendance is a bad goal in the grand scheme?.

I think so. I also think that gaining something phsical to prove/remember you did something is important to these events.

I really love the idea, but my only concern is the award ceremony running long as every team would get an award eventually.

Get them all on one table, give the "winners" of the event picks first. Each remaining team get's to pick based on either order of registration, or order the entire team arrives at the event (which would encourage teams to register/arrive ASAP).

So long as the awards are on display prior, should be easy enough for quick picking, not unlike picking best painted armies. If need be, could add a clock which puts the team to the end of the line if they can't pick quickly.

Probably want a small description on what can be an award. Personally, I think a spray painted rock is fine, so long as it's personalized a bit. Shouldn't have large cash value or be in a state of decomposition. Should be carry-able and not dangerous. Perhaps require they write their team name and OFCC2015 on it somewhere.

EDIT: cool thing about this method is ordo doesn't need to supply prizes or awards, yet players walk home with sovereigns.

I for one think the Hosts and Organizers did a great job. I got to play a FW list that I would have not been allowed anywhere else to play. I got to play more games in on weekend then all year.

Did i have a few gripes yep,but those are on me not the event. I most likely would have not had any if i was not hung up on them in the first place and just enjoyed.

This event Is not about what I think the game should be about. But about the Our Love of the game and getting together with others that love it too. We may not all play the game the same way but we all do play it and love it and thats what counts.

And awards should not be hand out like name taggs to anyone that shows up. Awards are for those that stand out and go above what is expected of us. To hand them out like candy makes them meaningless and does not push us as players to try harder and get better be it our painting, playing, or attitude.

How many of y'all former OFCC award winners take pride in it. Would it mean as much if everyone who went there got one? I got a t-shirt for that. Next year i plan on working harder  to get one,but then again why should i bother if eveyone gets one anyway.

But thats just my 2 cents take it for what it is worth.

• Like 1