The Best Star Trek Movie?

andozane

Which is the Best Star Trek Movie?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the Best Star Trek Movie?

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
    • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
    • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
    • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
    • Star Trek Generations (1994)
    • Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
    • Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
    • Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
    • Star Trek (2009)
    • Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
  2. 2. Which is the Worst Star Trek Movie?

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
    • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
    • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
    • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
    • Star Trek Generations (1994)
    • Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
    • Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
    • Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
    • Star Trek (2009)
    • Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

OK, because I work in IT, we often have completely useless conversations...normally they are reserved for Friday afternoons, but today we had the "Star Trek Movie" discussion...

So, curious, where does Ordo stand in regards to the best Star Trek Movie?

I've got Undiscovered as my favorite...and what I expect to be a clear front runner for worst, Final Frontier!

• Like 3

Been thinking about this lately.  Worst is a tie between Nemesis and Final Frontier.  I gotta give JJ Abrams the nod for best for these reasons:

1.  Totally reminded me of why I have always love Star Trek.

2.  The casting is amazing.  Chris Pine is only acceptable but everyone else is so spot on.  I have major man crushes on both Simon Pegg and Karl Urban.

3.  Freakin' Thor is James T Kirk's father!!!!

• Like 1

Best and Favorite are not the same thing for me.

Voyage Home is my favorite for sentimental reasons.  First Contact is my favorite for Borg reasons.  Generations is great because of fat toupees.  Nemesis has Bane as Picards Mini-Me.

Reboot is the best.  Khan Strikes back is pretty damn tasty in it's own way.  They are both exercises in masturbation.  

I think that those voting for the Motion Picture as the worst are terribly misinformed. In a way, it is the best Star Trek movie. I mean, all that Star Trek ever was before that was a series of episodic shows where the crew face off against some form of threat or event in space.  The motion picture did the same thing. It was just longer (and the effects were better). It is the one movie that was true to the Star Trek formula. For it's time, it was actually really good, but later eclipsed by the Wrath of Khan and soon forgotten in time.

/end rant.

I do love how this poll supports my theory that every other Star Trek movie sucks. Good times.

• Like 3

I voted Wrath of Khan, but I could've gone with Undiscovered Country as well.  I like the new ones fine, I actually don't like the Next Generation version of ST, so I voted Nemesis as my least favorite. 

I'm weird because I got into Star Trek with Deep Space Nine and Sisko is my "captain" of choice.  That show went off the rails as it went along, but I've always liked it best. 

• Like 2

The Abrams movies are terrible.  So horrifically not Star Trek.  The first one was acceptable, but the second was god-awful.  The screen writer for Wrath of Kahn should have gotten a credit for the screenplay they stole so much from it.

I feel like the first one only worked because a big part of it was introducing the new cast, and the casting was just about perfect. The second one couldn't lean on that, and so I actually had time to notice just how much of a trainwreck the plot was.

• Like 2

I feel like the first one only worked because a big part of it was introducing the new cast, and the casting was just about perfect.

I totally agree. I'm still struggling with Simon Pegg as Scotty though. I love me some Simon Pegg (SotD, HF), but it didn't work for me.

Maybe because I saw it as a kid, but Wrath of Khan is still my favorite and possibly the best one. 

Besides Khan, everything from 79' to 2002 was rubbish. The remakes have been awesome.

I think there's definitely a pretty good amount of rose-colored glasses for the old ones. And I agree, I enjoyed the new ones. My only problem were with some of the rather large plot silly bits in Into Darkness. I still enjoyed it though.

• Like 2

Sure and I can count tons that do. :)

Entirely possible :)

I guess my point is, that taking a few lines here and there isn't that big of a deal.  Let's take the latest Robocop reboot.  Wasn't amazing, but it was an OK movie for what it was.  It had a few lines the same (Dead or alive, you're coming with me, etc), but it didn't steal entire plot points.  Alex Murphy didn't actually "die", his family was well aware of what happened to him, and the climax wasn't in a steel mill.  Not to mention that Lewis was a guy.  

Star Trek Into Darkness not only stole lines, but it stole entire points of the story, with the whole climax being one of them, where instead of Spock it's Kirk. 

There is only one Wrath of Khan, and I don't feel it's being looked at through Rose colored glasses.  In fact, if you read about how it not only worked with a super tight budget, and was really the thing that saved Star Trek in cinema in general, I'd say it holds up really well.

• Like 2