You know what, divorce sucks.

scottshoemaker

It's been said before but I'll throw my 2¢ in. It's tough. Been there. Glad you guys are doing it right. For me it was the realization that I didn't want Little Man to see what his Mother and I had and think it's normal to be unhappy. The right choice is rarely the easy one. Keep the good attitude and know you're not alone;)

I am sorry to see this bad news, and you are 100% right, it does suck. But, from what I've read in this thread, you are taking the right steps.

My Brothers was a horrible one, his ex wanted to do every dirty trick possible. While sadden to hear the news, I'm glad to hear it will be a "quite" type vs the other types I've seen.

I hope things go well for you, and you get back on your feet quickly.

I'm most worried about my kids.  That was the hardest thing was to tell them.  They didn't take it well when we told them, but they seem to be dealing with it ok.  I'm sure it will be difficult when I finally move out at the end of the month. 

Make sure you tell them why it happened. Not the long time coming bit, but the final incident. When my folks divorced, the truth took too long to reveal itself and I came to my own conclusions.

You might think it was a long time coming, but to them, that long degrading road was normal and just part of driving, so when the road ends they are surprised despite how obvious it may be in hindsight. To them, you fighting or being miserable together is just something that parents do, you separating is something new.

Just explain your reasoning on why that piece of straw broke the camel's back. When I finally got my dad to explain, it all made sense and we were able to move on. Things that don't make sense will create chaos in a young mind (and with most adults) - don't let the divorce be one of those things for your kids.

• 2 months later...

Hello there,

Not making light of anything, as my intent is not to comment on your specific situation.

I have been divorced as well and went through the ups and downs associated with it.  But you know what?  "Nothing ends nicely... that's why it ends."

After 5+ years of post-divorce under my belt, life's never been better for me or the kids.  Look at the wonderful opportunities you have and have your own relationships with the kids and things will be alright.

Stay safe,

don

• 3 weeks later...

Why do I keep this thread alive?  Cause it's like therapy, only cheaper and I give a [big bad swear word] at the response I get!

Things are moving along, and barring some budgetary constraints I'm happier than I thought I'd be.  Hopefully I can get some projects posted (poor excuses being GTA and World of Tanks, good excuses being time with kids and a great girlfriend).  Now that I'm committed to OFCC it should be good motivation to avoid some paint shaming!

• Like 6

I was the kid who got adopted into a family that then got a divorce.  Wow.  Talk about rejection!

I was uber careful about who I hitched myself to after all that fun.  Divorced parents tha hate each other is terribad news.  So I sure hpe you guys dn't go that direction.  The divorce is a lot easier to handle when the adults remain adults about it.  Mine weren't and it wasn't good.

So if there's any wisdom I can share after 20 years of being with my wife, I would say this:  hold the GF to an incredibly high standard.  After all, dating is just an audition.  And get along with the X.  The kids will appreciate it a lot.  Like a lot.