You know what, divorce sucks.

scottshoemaker

it does - but you live through it.  If it's for the right reasons - it is a good thing.  You will be better for having done it.  If possible - do it without lawyers (I did) and be "friends" with your ex… makes things so much easier when you both get a point of being better off apart than you were together.  It's no one persons fault that things fall apart.. don't dwell on the "what -if's" or the blame as a former couple.  I think my ex and I are finally to a point of being ok with each other - and what we had in the past as well as where things are now (its been 6? years apart… only 3 officially divorced).  Friends perhaps - at least I like to think so.  We have kids together - and we don't allow the other parent to be a scape goat - with the kids - of from the kids.  My kids know I will not listen to it - if they can't respect both parents - even when the other parent is an ex and is not there… then they need to keep it to themselves.  

- don't dwell - and find more hobbies to keep your mind from being idle.

-d

• Like 1

I'm most worried about my kids.  That was the hardest thing was to tell them.  They didn't take it well when we told them, but they seem to be dealing with it ok.  I'm sure it will be difficult when I finally move out at the end of the month. 

The irony is she and I are getting along better than we have in months.  We are putting the kids first, and we will still be a team for them.  There is so far no issues dividing up finances and things, as I'm the one who has to move (we currently live on the family farm, so it would be weird for her to move)  I do get a freshish start, and I get to practice woodworking while I build myself some furniture.

• Like 7

The irony is she and I are getting along better than we have in months.  We are putting the kids first, and we will still be a team for them.  

More than anything, it's this attitude that's going to see you successfully through this. I've seen a lot of divorces, and the ability to keep a healthy parenting relationship even in the absence of a marital, romantic, or even friend relationship is clutch. There will be tough patches, but you've got to keep this in the forefront. 

I'm sorry for your loss, and it sounds like you're going about things in the right way.

• Like 4

I'm most worried about my kids.  That was the hardest thing was to tell them.  They didn't take it well when we told them, but they seem to be dealing with it ok.  I'm sure it will be difficult when I finally move out at the end of the month. 

The irony is she and I are getting along better than we have in months.  We are putting the kids first, and we will still be a team for them.  There is so far no issues dividing up finances and things, as I'm the one who has to move (we currently live on the family farm, so it would be weird for her to move)  I do get a freshish start, and I get to practice woodworking while I build myself some furniture.

The hardest part was tell our kids as well. For the most part they are ok with it. But they still ask (its been over 2 years now) why we are not together. Its best to have a good open dialog with them about it and be willing to talk to them about it when they bring it up.

Been there myself (more than once), and I definitely agree with those others who posted before. It burns at first, especially since it's harder for us to accept change as we age (usually). But you seem to have a good mental grasp of the situation, understanding that it's best for all involved, and you're putting the kids first.

My condolences, but best wishes to you and your kids! :)

This isn't a sudden revelation, this has been a long road that has already had a separation, counseling, other efforts.  We both agreed despite these things we still weren't happy.  Rather than keep up with our roller coaster cycle we decided better to end before we get so bitter that it gets nasty or worse we affect the kids.  Still hurts though.  But we both deserve to be happy.

• Like 1

my condolences man, but it seems like you both are approaching this in the absolute best way.  it really makes me happy to see people like you two being so mature and respectful of each other even in the darkest hours.  speaks to both of you!

unlike marriage which can be nullified and you go your separate ways: when you have children you are making an 18 year agreement to work together and treat each other with respect for the sake of those you will love forever.  i was a child of a pretty brutal divorce and can tell you first hand that children need you to be respectful of each other cause it does have an effect on them whether you like it or not.  When you fight in front of them, they cant help it but feel at partial fault because you wouldnt even be talking to each other if it wasnt for them existing... which can lead to them going through years of counseling, anti-socialization, anxiety and depression.   looking at it through their eyes rather than your own really does help.  sure you both would love to have the kids 24/7 but thats not going to be the reality of the situation.  compromise is key in marriage and it is in divorce as well.  heck it is in any type of relationship. 

emily and i both have talked about this even before marriage: people change.  the person you marry at age X will not be the same person at years X+5 and possibly quite different at X+10 years.  some people change together and some people change going in different directions.  this is a part of life and not really anything you can control... it's why marriage is so freaking tough! 

ill be honest and say im happy i went through my parents poor example of extremely selfish and manipulative parenting because it has made me a pretty tough/observant cookie and it has taught me what NOT to do lol... but i definitely dont wish that on anyone else because one of my brothers i feel never really recovered from their antics psychologically.

its going to be tough.  no sugar coating it.  but your mindset is perfect and you both will come out happier from it along with your kids.

• Like 4

This isn't a sudden revelation, this has been a long road that has already had a separation, counseling, other efforts.  We both agreed despite these things we still weren't happy.  Rather than keep up with our roller coaster cycle we decided better to end before we get so bitter that it gets nasty or worse we affect the kids.  Still hurts though.  But we both deserve to be happy.

I hate to see any marriage end, but I have supported friends through separation and divorce in the past because it's the right step for them.  It sounds like you guys are making an informed choice and handling it well which makes a huge difference.  Doesn't keep it from sucking for you guys but I applaud you for the way you're handling the kids and everything.

At this point, all I can do is wish you the best and tell you to come vent here when you need to so it does not happen elsewhere when it shouldn't.