Dwarf Rumours

I agree that the Gyros look weird. The old gyros were more wright-brothers-rickety. The new ones look too steampunk. I do like the magazine of bombs sticking up in the back though, hilarious! And the rules for the Gyros seem balanced and fun though!

I did read an idea on the forums, however, to paint the metal plating to look like wood paneling. I thought that was a great idea, and it could look awesome!

I actually like the bomber model. I think the gyro does look a bit fat. But I have plenty of old school gyros...so that isn't a worry for me. The runes sound intriguing to me. Stacking bonuses? Nice "out of the box" thinking for the army. Now if we could just get the book to see what else is in store. I'm hoping there is something else new other than the bomber. I will be very disappointed otherwise. The dwarfs have been a bit stale for quite some time. Just gotta resist shiny model syndrome.

I'm sorry, but those Gyrocopters...  :(

Next thing you know they'll be trying to pass of Soul Grinders as Fantasy

But the steam tank is fine?  The Soul Grinder doesn't fit because the tech looks beyond what we do now (and it looks dumb to begin with).  The gyrocopter just looks like the difference between China and the West in the 1000's.

But the steam tank is fine?  The Soul Grinder doesn't fit because the tech looks beyond what we do now (and it looks dumb to begin with).  The gyrocopter just looks like the difference between China and the West in the 1000's.

I think the Steam Tank is great and fits the Empire aesthetic - it looks natural alongside great cannons, hellblasters, etc.  These new bombers just look like Advance Wars with some dwarf runes slapped on.  Or like the Warmachine Basher, as someone else said.  To me they look out-of-place.

I think the Steam Tank is great and fits the Empire aesthetic - it looks natural alongside great cannons, hellblasters, etc.  These new bombers just look like Advance Wars with some dwarf runes slapped on.  Or like the Warmachine Basher, as someone else said.  To me they look out-of-place.

I get that they look out of place to you, but I don't think you've really paid attention to the dwarven line as a whole.  Painted in metallics it fits along just fine with the current dwarven cannon and Organ Gun.

Also, yes, a lot of Advance Wars can be useful for Warhammer hyperbole.

9th Ed Batrep:

Khorne vs Empire

advance_wars2_profilelarge.jpg

Books, Gyro's and two more characters are up on pre-order!

Buy a squad of 3 Gyro's for merely $135!

and don't forget to get your "one click collection" that claims to have 2 Bombers and 4 Gyros (yet shows a pic of 6 bombers (which is unique according to the WD article)) for only $270!

Books, Gyro's and two more characters are up on pre-order!

Buy a squad of 3 Gyro's for merely $135!

and don't forget to get your "one click collection" that claims to have 2 Bombers and 4 Gyros (yet shows a pic of 6 bombers (which is unique according to the WD article)) for only $270!

Prices are nuts, but Unique only refers to its unit type.  It doesn't mean you can only run one of them.

Prices are nuts, but Unique only refers to its unit type.  It doesn't mean you can only run one of them.

I was thinking that was like Special Character Unique... guess I'll need to read again.

As far as the bomber goes the price isn't that bad, but remove half the plastic to make it a Gyro and it seems a bit much (not surprising, just a bit much).

I like that you pay $45 each no matter how many you buy, bundle or not. Do they not know how bundles work?.....or do they think that we don't...?? It's like walking into a store and seeing a sale sign that says, "JEANS! Buy 6 at a time!"

Seriously, the most baffling marketing strategies...

Stoked for Dwarves though! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Methinks that the bundle price is an incentive for the the inevitable price hike.

I don't think so. It's hardly the first time they've done this, and I doubt they'll sell those bundles for long. It's the ol' "hope your customers' excitement for this new model is more powerful than their ability to do math and they go for it" approach. They've done it before and they'll do it again, but marketing based on hoping your customers are idiots is really bad (and obviously insulting) marketing. They're not being clever, they just think they are.

Yeah, I definitely meant that I was surprised at the bundle price.  I just can't fathom the person that goes, "I really want six of these, but changing that one to a six before checkout is so hard.  There has to be a better way!"

Probably more often you get the person who meant to order one, but accidentally got all six...

*Shakes fist in the air* BUT I ONLY CLICKED ONE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably more often you get the person who meant to order one, but accidentally got all six...

*Shakes fist in the air* BUT I ONLY CLICKED ONE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if they put in their credit card information without noticing the ticket price of $270.00 they don't deserve their money!

I saw the italian version of the book.  There are some good things, there are some bad things, overall I'm a little underwhelmed, and I'm usually the guy that puts the positive spin on everything.  I'm determined to make it work however, but for lists 2400 points or less, I don't see how anything less than a solid gun line will do in order to be competitive, which pisses me off because it will mean more whining from my opponents, "oh you play dwarfs."  I think at 2800 points you can build an aggressive list that will be solid, but only playing and testing will tell, which I plan to do a lot of.  Here is what I can say for sure:

1. Magic defense blows, almost every list will include two runesmiths, because they have too in order to have two scrolls.  

2. Magic defense blows, so you will have to take a hammerer unit so you can have the rune of valaya so you can get an extra +2 to dispel (total of +4)

3. Anvil sucks.....badly.....super badly......has three bound spells that any good player will never let you get off, and even if they let you, the effects suck.

4.  Did I say the Anvil sucks?

5.  Dwarfs build the best armour in the warhammer world......in fluff only, not the rules, every other army out there just about can get better than 3+ armour saves.

6.  Hammerers Rock!  

7. Slayers got worse and better at the same time, slayer characters are now terrible, too expensive for what they do.

8. Hand weapon shield dwarfs got better, much better, but are not going to win you games, they will just not lose you games.

9.  Dwarf handguns got worse, I guess because everyone was abusing them before.

10.  Gyros are amazing, they are finally what they always should have been.

11.  Some war machines took a hit, some got better, it is a mixed bag.  Why are bolt throwers more expensive?  I have no idea, but my flame cannon will be useable again.

12 Iorn drakes are fantastic, move and shoot, can have a vanguard banner, yeah!

13.  We are great at charging especially with the new magic horn, Devastating charge and +1 strength when charging are all good but......why??????  I will be taking a lot of runes of slowness to take advantage of this item and rule.

14.  Our combat characters took a huge hit, not because there aren't any cool runes, there are a lot of great ones, but they all cost an arm and a leg and forget having a tank.

15.  Other than the anvil, we still have nothing to do in the magic phase, did I mention the anvil sucks?

16.  Magic Standards are a huge bonus, the runes for our standards will be our saving grace.

17.  Almost everything good costs more, while everything mediocre also cost more (Iornbreakers and Slayers).

Sorry if I put a cloud of grey over anyones sunshine, I just had high hopes after the last few books because they were so good (with the exception of lizards, why are all the monsters over costed?) that I expected more.

I really think our gun line tactics will work well at low point values with this new book, and it will compete, but until people change their attitudes, especially in our area, it is going to be a tough road for dwarfs.

Well, I for one will be waiting for the book to actually see how everything plays together.  And to say that the gunline is a thing of the past was just wishful thinking.  Dwarfs have always been, and will most likely continue, to be the gunline army.  Who cares what your opponent says.  Like you stated above, you only get to smash an anvil in the magic phase which may be dispelled now.  Your opponents can kick rocks.  I think there will be lots of tools to play an aggresive army at 2.5k and below.

Again, without looking at the book and not caring about the rumors out there, I will have to wait and look at the book myself.

I'm stuck spending at least for the book and the bomber. Some of the new plastics look okay, but not so much better it will make me ditch my current models. Shame that it isn't sounding great. No save better than 3+? No monstrous unit? No centerpiece model?

Is this laziness on GW's part? Is it reaction to the poor sales of previous releases? Is the new gyrobomber the "big" kit?

Seems like GW is toning down the releases. Shame the dwarfs got hosed (not really hosed, just not what they deserved). 3+ infantry is just not good enough. No stompers is not good enough.