Your first album

Weav

55 minutes ago, Brick Bungalow said:

Ah nostalgia. Kids these days just don't understand the joy that was paying for music. 

I'll take streaming digital every day. I get seriously overwhelmed if I have too many options to choose just one from. Going into a record store without having decided ahead of time could cause an aneurism. I do miss the physicality of an LP though. Liner notes and inserts. The stickers that came with Dark Side of the Moon were great, not to mention the giant dollar bill from Billion Dollar Babies.

• Like 2

I'd take digital streaming if they had not caved to the RIAA.  Try using digital streaming if you travel internationally.  It's not possible (not just not convenient, but not possible).  You cannot connect internationally to an American streaming account (even on an international service) for more than 2 weeks (a year, a lifetime? I didn't bother trying to find out).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

Yeah. I love digital streaming but there was something very special about buying a record.

The issue of money is a throwaway for me. It's really about giving due attention to the art of creating an album. (I realize I'm not telling present company anything they don't know)

Great albums are organized thematically and mastered aurally to be listened to on physical media in a particular order. Some of my favorite records even have instructions for how to adjust the hi fi dials for proper enjoyment. The Flaming Lips released a four disc concept album that required you to sync four discs to play together. Some of this is mere conceit but I do think there is a great deal of critical mass lost when songs are merely assembled by an algorithm on a mobile app. There is an experience informed, I think by the psychological and material commitment of going to a record store, acquiring a physical album and adding to a personal collection. 

Also, since I'm in grouchy old fogey mode can I just say how grateful I am to have attended live concert performances before the ubiquity of mobile phones? 

• Like 2

I miss actual human deejays. There is definitely something special about the careful way an artist, producer, and engineer construct an album... But there’s equally some magic to having a person who deeply loves music and knows his audience can select songs from multiple bands to play in a sequence.

The machines that drive Clear Channel’s automated stations don’t do “deep cuts,” and streaming services have a bias (which we program into them ourselves!) to only reinforce what we already know we like.

Thank the gods of rock’n’roll I spent my prime music years in Detroit. Probably the last bastion of real radio on Earth.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ish said:

I miss actual human deejays. There is definitely something special about the careful way an artist, producer, and engineer construct an album... But there’s equally some magic to having a person who deeply loves music and knows his audience can select songs from multiple bands to play in a sequence.

The machines that drive Clear Channel’s automated stations don’t do “deep cuts,” and streaming services have a bias (which we program into them ourselves!) to only reinforce what we already know we like.

Thank the gods of rock’n’roll I spent my prime music years in Detroit. Probably the last bastion of real radio on Earth.

KEXP up here in the Seattle area is still good for this, too. Especially on some of the late night shows, they'll just let the DJs do whatever the ^#$% they want.

• Like 2

The more I think about it, what I really miss about physical music formats is digging through the bargain bins at second-hand places. So many great albums that I picked up just because the art or the band name or even a song title seemed cool, and it was only 99 cents, so why not? Even if only one in ten ended up being good, I still got a new album for ten bucks, which ain't bad at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

As a former employee that was just to get you in the door we had no clue about the music... goal was just stock it all and let the customer figure it out, only department that didn't get training each month. 

Oh crap, that's nutz!
I was IT for Circuit City in their last days...

They hired me explicitly to fix machines that came back to us...
I never knew y'all music folks got left hanging

1 minute ago, Romans832 said:

Oh crap, that's nutz!
I was IT for Circuit City in their last days...

They hired me explicitly to fix machines that came back to us...
I never knew y'all music folks got left hanging

Oh not left hanging, I parted ways long before they closed... the media department was just handled differently. The sales team got training hours every month to stay current with whatever department they were in, warehouse got training to for safety stuff... media (music and movies) just stocked (the stickers were coded with section then alphabetical) and watched for shop lifters. 

• Like 1