GG got sold....

15 minutes ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

retail is incredibly difficult and stressful. i have no doubt everyone in that line of work gets to a certain point and decides to do something different.

good on Angel and crew for creating something so awesome and in demand someone will pay thousands of dollars for it!

I get that. I'm just a fan of permanency. I'm very much aware that it is an unreasonable expectation, but it remains my ideal. 

1 hour ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

good on Angel and crew for creating something so awesome and in demand someone will pay thousands of dollars for it!

There is no doubt in my mind that the check written to conduct this transaction had more than 5 zero's.  Try 7.

Just now, Dark Trainer said:

fear leads to angeranger leads to hatehate leads to suffering... 🤣

I feel like if I start going into this one, it will rapidly become an RoC topic. I really didn't get enough sleep last night...

On 4/5/2019 at 7:05 PM, andy said:

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't access it -- I guess you need to be 'friends' with the poster.

Michelle Startt and I have some crazy news to share with everyone. As of Wednesday 4/3/2019, we no longer own Guardian Games.

So many thanks needs to go out to all of the staff, customers, and community who helped us play the most rewarding game ever (owning a game store). It feels fantastic to walk away a winner!

While we are no longer owners, we will still be eternally proud of our 'creation', and hope that you will continue to support it as it evolves to the next step with the new owner.

All of our wonderful staff are still on board. And I'll continue to do everything in my power to ensure their success and happiness. I love them very, very much! Please remind them how much you appreciate them too!

For those of you who want to know why, the answer is simple. We were presented with an opportunity that felt foolish to pass up. The amount of businesses that are successful enough to outright sell is very low, and it's much, much lower in the gaming industry. Selling Guardian Games is a proverbial 'checkmate' in this industry.

What's next for us?

Michelle Startt will continue to be the rock star architect she's always been. And looks forward to being able to devote much more time and energy to her team at work.

I can't resist the urge to buy/sell goods. It's been my destiny since I was a kid, buying a pack of candy and selling them individually for a profit on the school yard. So I'll transfer my hobbies, passions, and energies to some other things. LEGO, video games, action figures, collectibles, costuming, etc. Just the internet and conventions for now. Maybe a small store front or some consignment/partnerships in the future.

And with all my new found free-time I plan to volunteer more for things I'm passionate about. Especially the local gaming and pop-culture conventions. I want to play more games, and am especially looking forward to some D&D.

Now I can do my part to foster the friendships and relationships that Guardian Games has been so generous in providing me. Most of those relationships have been one-sided, and I'm very excited to be able to reciprocate the love and devotion you all have given me.

I'll tag until my 'clicker' gives out lol. Tagged or not, I love and appreciate you, and can't wait to see you on the 'other' side of the counter!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 7:53 PM, Sugarlessllama said:

This is likely a good call. With Mox Public House expanding into PDX, it's going to be good to get, while the getting is good. 

I am not a Mox expert but, as far as I know, they're a lot smaller (and less heralded) than GG.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jesselowe said:

Apparently they just bought a little game store in Newberg. Maybe they were just tired of dealing with Portland City Hall - or maybe once you're in the game biz, you can never really get out...

From what I saw in what Angel posted, it's a completely different kind of venue.

I'm thinking it's like when you're playing an RPG and start over as a new class to get a different experience. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WestRider said:

They're pretty big in terms of MtG, since they're part of Card Kingdom, which is one of the bigger online Magic sellers.

That actually is probably a negative for them since store-based magic took a few major hits in the last year. Any brick and mortar that relies on MTG to keep the lights on is crying right now.

• Sad 2