Who all has tried the contrast paints?

VonVilkee

I have and I find them to be really cool and save me time on skin. The orange also is very good.

I'm not sure I'll replace my entire style with them but they do very much cater to the way I already painted and eliminate some steps for me.

I've gotten 6 Goliath gangers half painted in a couple hours. To get to this step before it would have taken triple the time for me. I'm done with the skin, leather and orange jump suit pants.

Some of the colors are very dark/heavy but with a little of the medium they thin out super nice. I found that a half shyish purple half contrast medium is pretty equal to druki Violet the current shade over the grey base I was using but it's way faster as the paint dries quicker than the wash...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andy said:

I hope they'll help me speed along my Ork Boyz...

There are some awesome greens that would one thick coat their skin amazingly well. You have to put them over a light primer that flows right. The GW rattle cans for the system are pretty amazing 15 minutes to dry to paintable is slick and no odor I could detect after about 5 minutes.

I prefer the wraith bone warmer more vibrant to the grey seer but most others I see defaulting to grey seer as it looks more "white". Test if you can as the base matters heavily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

You have to put them over a light primer that flows right.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a big fan of airbrushed Stynylrez primer, which goes on like butter so the texture should be good... but it'll be a bit cold in color 😕 I wonder if I can tint the white a bit? Hmmm....

2 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

There are some awesome greens that would one thick coat their skin amazingly well. You have to put them over a light primer that flows right. The GW rattle cans for the system are pretty amazing 15 minutes to dry to paintable is slick and no odor I could detect after about 5 minutes.

I prefer the wraith bone warmer more vibrant to the grey seer but most others I see defaulting to grey seer as it looks more "white". Test if you can as the base matters heavily.

Glad to hear the primer is good, given what they charge for it.

I can really see uses for each of the primers, depending on the effect you want and the colour scheme you're planning. I'm thinking Grey Seer for the ghosts I'm planning on first, but I'd probably go with Wraithbone for something with flesh tones, or browns, or red/orange/yellow. Probably Wraithbone for Chaos Culties, for instance.

40 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Glad to hear the primer is good, given what they charge for it.

I can really see uses for each of the primers, depending on the effect you want and the colour scheme you're planning. I'm thinking Grey Seer for the ghosts I'm planning on first, but I'd probably go with Wraithbone for something with flesh tones, or browns, or red/orange/yellow. Probably Wraithbone for Chaos Culties, for instance.

You are spot on! I'm also intrigued by the idea of zenithal priming using both... Who knows what crazy things are possible...

• Like 1

I picked up a few after trying them at the GW store. I think for specific things they will be great, namely skin and organics with lots of ridges/area for the contrast to do its thing. I highly recommend the medium because I think you get far more mileage from the paint by thinning it even a little. The really dark purple and dark blue are almost too dark straight out of the pot, but add a little medium (1:1) and they both give great results.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, andozane said:

My ask is for anyone who has tried them...please post pics!

Like Necro did earlier...

I'm working on it! The demo models I did over the weekend were to find very specific colors for projects I have 😃.

I finished a devestator Cherub from grey plastic (unprimed) in 1.5 hours varnished and everything. I'll post him tonight. He is in my OFCC army of you wanna see in person in August.

I'm currently painting a Goliath necromunda gang I'll post when done.

I'm no painter, but I do feel that I'm definitely the target audience for GW's Contrast line.  Though I'm not  a total newb to painting, I don't do it often enough to have consistent and practiced results.  So I picked up some paints, some primers, and grabbed a variety of models to mess with.  

My pictures are not great, and sometimes they look like there is bare metal spots when there aren't, just due to glare issues...but hopefully they give you some ideas how the contrast paints work on different models from a newb's perspective.

These are all one coat pretty much, nothing more...

large.IMG_4636.jpg.f7c98288d1c7bf91adef7be313219bc3.jpglarge.IMG_4635.jpg.31ac2e860a60ef2c5647fef9a0cb5804.jpglarge.IMG_4633.jpg.64725a29386abf7c30477e5ec6b9a521.jpglarge.IMG_4632.jpg.5c7a54f5ad7b54736c1f6817a3e94f61.jpglarge.IMG_4629.jpg.a1730eceb9364b35495fd89e062156bc.jpglarge.IMG_4617.jpg.88f56977d821f7888bd180351a938e90.jpglarge.IMG_4610.jpg.5f9380c5b93f6eba199e0e0179395d83.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hmmm great photos guys!  I will try to pick some of these colors up ... like vilkee stated earlier -... a few select project needed colors.  Specifically flesh tones - probably that cool black.  Maybe something else depending on my scheme for my murder clown OFCC list.  Anything to speed up the detail work would be nice.

-d

• Like 1

I tried a test run with some Epic Wraithguard that have been in my bits pile forever. It looks like it should have worked fine, but I'm having an issue with the primer I used (Tamyia Fine Scale White). The primer goes on fine, but for some reason, I can't get the contrast paint to stick to it in places; no matter how much I use, the paint flows right off of random spots. I was having this issue with the spray primer in long standing, but had been painting Death Guard with it, so random spots that look like armour poking through aren't out of place. 

Has anyone else had this issue with Tamyia spray paints?

I picked up some Grey Seer at Glimpses in Sherwood, and hope to try again this afternoon. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, necrontyr said:

received_478405699574986.jpeg

This really is the best tree kit that any company makes.

And I'm really proud of GW for making good generic trees. These have a place in any 28mm model collection, not just with GW stuff.

I re-primed the Epic Wraithguard with the Grey Seer primer, and tried again to with the contrast paints. The primer went on real smooth, and I have to say I'm suitably impressed, especially with the Yellow. I've tried for years to get a decent yellow, and the contrast paint went on reasonably well with one coat. I used Iyanden Yellow for the bodies, and Talassar Blue on the heads. 

All told, including dry time, I think I spent maybe half an hour on these. They aren't amazing, but they'll work for table-top use. I haven't quite figured out how to really use the new paints yet, but I think they'll be pretty useful for doing smaller scale figures. Getting a "good enough" paint scheme seems like it will take much less time than is typical. 

Contrast after 1.jpg

Contrast after 2.jpg

• Like 3

I'll have to see if there is a warmaster army I could use these for. I'd love to do some experimenting...and probably will with undead as they seem a good candidate. I need to repaint my old army anyways as they are pretty awful. I'll have to see what primer/color combo I'd want to use. GW's primer prices does not make it easy to pick them.