40K 9th ed

KennyD76

19 hours ago, Ish said:

The ATV basically has the same stats as the Attack Bike (W: 8 versus W: 4, but the PL [and presumably the point cost] is also doubled) and no one exactly breaks into a cold sweat when they see an Attack Bike on the table...

The ATV will take resources from your enemy to deal with.  8 wounds is a nice increase and add in how terrain effects the battlefield now.

I foresee the gattling option as the preferred option.

3 hours ago, Mulgrok said:

Something I didn't notice at first: the Onslaught Gatling Cannon is labeled at heavy 8 instead of the current 6.  Typo?

Maybe. Maybe not. I am only trusting leaks we are getting from boxes. Currently necron players have seen the instructions and stats for the Spyder and Praetorians. Since GW would not put non 9th ed stats in those as it would be expensive to change overall, I am trusting them more than these "Whats Coming Next" leaks

So now that the multi-melta has made the lascannon largely obsolete, the only question is how long until the space marine lascannon goes to Str 10, AP-4?

Since their new design philosophy is "if something exists in 40k, then space marines must have the best version of that thing" then a boost to space marine lascannons is inevitable, isn't it? 

I really like the 9th edition rules, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that 9th edition will be the least diverse meta the game has ever seen. That appears to be the goal.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

I am still hoping (probably against all reason) that the upcoming codex serves as a massive “nerf” to Space Marines... Somehow.

I think that's a realistic expectation for their 2nd 9th edition codex, but more likely in 10th ed. Making them absurdly over-the-top good is the best way to change over that model line quickly. They won't power them down until the changeover is complete.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MexicanNinja said:

No one's concerned with admech and i find that confusing.  Robots are going to go off and dune crawlers are amazeballs!!!

I am looking forward to seeing what random skew lists shoot through the meta. When you can anticipate at 60-75% presence of a single codex (and subsidiaries) you can tailor a list more specifically. 

I've heard good things about Tyranids too, but can't speak to myself. Cheap/fast troops and monstrous creatures. Checks out 🤷‍♂️?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I am looking forward to seeing what random skew lists shoot through the meta. When you can anticipate at 60-75% presence of a single codex (and subsidiaries) you can tailor a list more specifically. 

I've heard good things about Tyranids too, but can't speak to myself. Cheap/fast troops and monstrous creatures. Checks out 🤷‍♂️?

The Robits are manageable. They have a good save but they are expensive per model at what 125 for app Phosphur. That is fine to me. Dune Crawler is good but still manageable. 

However Marines feel oppressive and many people dont enjoy playing against them. I started a Reddit thread to gauge peoples opinions and the majority of competitive players dont have fun against marines and funnily enough Competitive play is not Grog Beards at work, they are people who play tight games because it is fun. However when the tight game feels like the Battle of Okinawa... we might have issues. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

However Marines feel oppressive and many people dont enjoy playing against them. I started a Reddit thread to gauge peoples opinions and the majority of competitive players dont have fun against marines and funnily enough Competitive play is not Grog Beards at work, they are people who play tight games because it is fun. However when the tight game feels like the Battle of Okinawa... we might have issues. 

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. I'm ostensibly part of a competitive regional team but I'm mostly there to be "the field" on batreps, give practice games to the legit competitors on the team, and fill the room on tournament days. This is a role I'm well suited for--able to deliver a vision blurring jab to the snout that makes you fight off your heel, but unwilling to commit to the decision usurping finishing combo.

What I'm not interested in doing is filling out a tournament and playing against the same faction 2 of 3 or 3 of 3 as the last few tournaments of ITC 8th were. I can only imagine they'll become more prevalent. I'm down to play games, but I don’t want to rejoice at the understandably rare occasion I don't play marines.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'm down to play games, but I don’t want to rejoice at the understandably rare occasion I don't play marines.

This is exactly how I felt when I first started playing in 3rd ed, because EVERYONE played Marines. It's part of the reason I chose Orks. And now that I have Marines, I really don't want to play them anymore, because they're dull and overpowered.

• Like 2

I want to like Space Marines; They look cool, they’ve got great fluff, they’re iconic as anything... It was one thing when they were just the ever-present faction that made up 50-75% of  the armies played due to their popularity (and low cost to collect). But it’s quite another when they have a ridiculously overwhelming mechanical advantage too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ish said:

I want to like Space Marines; They look cool, they’ve got great fluff, they’re iconic as anything... It was one thing when they were just the ever-present faction that made up 50-75% of  the armies played due to their popularity (and low cost to collect). But it’s quite another when they have a ridiculously overwhelming mechanical advantage too.

QFT

I like Marine fluff. I dont like current Marine rules. There are ways to fix this and we shall see if they do in October. Until then we will have to bow down and praise out Primaris Overlords

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

This is exactly how I felt when I first started playing in 3rd ed, because EVERYONE played Marines. It's part of the reason I chose Orks. And now that I have Marines, I really don't want to play them anymore, because they're dull and overpowered.

That was my process with Tau. That was my first real 40k army in 3rd, played them through 4th and split them with orks in 5th. I loved weak Tau. Nobody had any experience playing against them so they had no idea what was coming.

Just keep subverting expectations, keep 'em off balance. It was a hoot.

When 6th came, they got bonkers strong. Nobody had fun playing against them, I hated playing with them. Sold 'em all with prices to move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Munkie said:

That was my process with Tau. That was my first real 40k army in 3rd, played them through 4th and split them with orks in 5th. I loved weak Tau. Nobody had any experience playing against them so they had no idea what was coming.

Just keep subverting expectations, keep 'em off balance. It was a hoot.

When 6th came, they got bonkers strong. Nobody had fun playing against them, I hated playing with them. Sold 'em all.

Tau killed my love of 40k and it took 8th ed to get back in so I feel that statement deep

• Sad 1

So I started a Reddit thread to get an Idea if I was alone. Having been in the Necrotyr Discord I know I am not but I wanted to see what others think this comes after hearing Chapter Master Valrak (Youtuber who is a MASSIVE Space Marine fanatic) even state he thinks it is getting absurd. 

Check it out. There are some insightful comments and I have not found many or any of bad faith. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Tau killed my love of 40k and it took 8th ed to get back in so I feel that statement deep

I went to Da Momma's Boyz Brawl with my Taudar in 7th. We were partying the night before the event like DMB does, and a fella declared that everyone there with Tau or Eldar was an asshole. I hated it because I agreed. Sold them soon after the event.

It sucks because primaris models are everything space marines always should have been. I support the model changeover, but I dont love slogging through the amphetemized meta while GW works its process.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I went to Da Momma's Boyz Brawl with my Taudar in 7th. We were partying the night before the event like DMB does, and a fella declared that everyone there with Tau or Eldar was an asshole. I hated it because I agreed. Sold them soon after the event.

It sucks because primaris models are everything space marines always should have been. I support the model changeover, but I dont love slogging through the amphetemized meta while GW works its process.

The issue is only a few armies have the ability to keep up. Hopefully the Codex changes will bring balance to the force but who knows

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Munkie said:

Agreed, and defilers are looking like a great "cheap" option for chaos.  With the shorter table, they may see more play.

11 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

The Robits are manageable. They have a good save but they are expensive per model at what 125 for app Phosphur. That is fine to me. Dune Crawler is good but still manageable. 

Anything is manageable with the right counter and strategy

My point was that without the -1 to move and shoot dune crawlers are much more mobile now and robots are going to lay down some serious firepower.

Everyone always freaks out about marines, then eldar become the issue, followed by tau, etc..... 

When has this been different?

I mean, I hate playing against harlequins, deathguard, knights, and more than anything gunlines; but I deal with it.

• Like 1

Decided to do a quick "junk on the bunk" summary of all the Adeptus Custodes models I've collected since the SARS-COVID-2 lockdown hit... If I count the models that are still currently en route to me via mail order and the two squads of Sisters of Silence that I am determined to buy as soon as they stop being out of stock everywhere, I've somehow amassed slightly in excess of 5,000 Points of these glorious golden gitz in less than five months. 

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [257 PL, -1CP, 5,004pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Shield Host: Solar Watch

+ HQ +

Captain-General Trajann Valoris [10 PL, 190pts]

Shield-Captain [7 PL, 103pts]: Guardian Spear, Misericordia, Warlord, Sally Forth

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 178pts]: Misericordia, Salvo Launcher, Warlord Trait: Superior Creation, Stratagem: Ten Thousand Heroes (-1 CP), Relic: Auric Aquilis

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [17 PL, 320pts]
. Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield (x2)
. Custodian: Guardian Spear, Misericordia (x4)

Custodian Guard Squad with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears [14 PL, 290pts]
. Custodian: Misericordia, Pyrithite Spear (x5)

Sagittarum Custodians [13 PL, 265pts]
. Sagittarum Custodian: Misericordia (x5)

+ Elites +

Aquilon Custodians [25 PL, 528pts]
. Aquilon Custodian: Infernus Firepike, Misericordia, Solarite Power Talon (x6)

Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought [8 PL, 180pts]: 2x Infernus Incinerator

Sisters of Silence Prosecutors [6 PL, 120pts]: (x10)

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 108pts]: Misericordia, Vexilla Imperius

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 125pts]: Storm Shield, Vexilla Magnifica

+ Fast Attack +

Pallas Grav-Attack [5 PL, 105pts]

Venatari Custodians [8 PL, 189pts]
. Venatari Custodian: Misericordia, Kinetic Destroyer, and Tarsus Buckler (x3)

Vertus Praetors [25 PL, 490pts]
. Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia (x5)

+ Heavy Support +

Venerable Land Raider [21 PL, 303pts]: Storm Bolter

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought [8 PL, 180pts]: 2x Telemon Caestus

+ Dedicated Transport +

Null-Maiden Rhino [3 PL, 75pts] 

++ Total: [257 PL, -1CP, 5,004pts] ++

That's a complete Battalion, with two empty Flyer slots... But the only Flyers in the army list cost $445 USD each (not to mention the suitcase I'd need to transport them in, each is about the size of a goddamn Thunderhawk). So I think I'm going to call this collection complete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Decided to do a quick "junk on the bunk" summary of all the Adeptus Custodes models I've collected since the SARS-COVID-2 lockdown hit... If I count the models that are still currently en route to me via mail order and the two squads of Sisters of Silence that I am determined to buy as soon as they stop being out of stock everywhere, I've somehow amassed slightly in excess of 5,000 Points of these glorious golden gitz in less than five months. 

Reveal hidden contents

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [257 PL, -1CP, 5,004pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Shield Host: Solar Watch

+ HQ +

Captain-General Trajann Valoris [10 PL, 190pts]

Shield-Captain [7 PL, 103pts]: Guardian Spear, Misericordia, Warlord, Sally Forth

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 178pts]: Misericordia, Salvo Launcher, Warlord Trait: Superior Creation, Stratagem: Ten Thousand Heroes (-1 CP), Relic: Auric Aquilis

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears [14 PL, 290pts]
. Custodian: Misericordia, Pyrithite Spear (x5)

Sagittarum Custodians [13 PL, 265pts]
. Sagittarum Custodian: Misericordia (x5)

+ Elites +

Aquilon Custodians [25 PL, 528pts]
. Aquilon Custodian: Infernus Firepike, Misericordia, Solarite Power Talon (x6)

Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought [8 PL, 180pts]: 2x Infernus Incinerator

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 108pts]: Misericordia, Vexilla Imperius

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 125pts]: Storm Shield, Vexilla Magnifica

+ Fast Attack +

Pallas Grav-Attack [5 PL, 105pts]

Venatari Custodians [8 PL, 189pts]
. Venatari Custodian: Misericordia, Kinetic Destroyer, and Tarsus Buckler (x3)

Vertus Praetors [25 PL, 490pts]
. Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia (x5)

+ Heavy Support +

Venerable Land Raider [21 PL, 303pts]: Storm Bolter

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought [8 PL, 180pts]: 2x Telemon Caestus

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [257 PL, -1CP, 5,004pts] ++

That's a complete Battalion, with two empty Flyer slots... But the only Flyers in the army list cost $445 USD each (not to mention the suitcase I'd need to transport them in, each is about the size of a goddamn Thunderhawk). So I think I'm going to call this collection complete. 

So what is next?