40K 9th ed

KennyD76

1 minute ago, Ish said:

Presumably the Necrons will have plenty of other goodies in the new codex which is being released soon. So you won’t have to wait for parity with the Space Marines, whereas the other Xenos factions will need to wait longer.

(Also, can I grumble for a second about 12” flamers? I just bought and painted a squad of Aquilon Terminators with firepikes. I bought the firepike version instead of the mathhammerically superior boltgun version because I thought 12” flamers in a world of 8” flamers would be novel. Grumble, grumble.)

So far some things are nice but overall...ugh...2 wound marines... really! Did they need to make it that much harder to kill @Salty Monkey 's Thousand Sons.... 

2 wound base marines with all of those bonus rules...I am not a fan

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Inquisitor66 said:

Wow, I wonder how nuts custodes are going to be.

Honestly, I’m hoping for little to no changes for my golden gitz when they get their codex in 2023... Basically, I just wish for a few simple things:

• It would be nice to see the Damage stat of most of their weapons go from a variable to a fixed value. For example, the ubiquitous Guardian Spear does mêlée Damage d3, if they just made it a fixed Damage 2, I’d be overjoyed.

• I would also really like to have access to Venerable Land Raiders besides the Phobos-pattern. If nothing else, just for the sake of variety.

• Gimme a way to have a basic Custodian Guard (or maybe a Warden) that has a Guardian Spear and a Storm Shield. I want my Space Hoplites.

• Give the Null-Maiden Rhino the anti-psychic aura that it had for the two weeks it existed in seventh edition. Speaking of the Null-Maidens...

• GW should really just drop the whole “Sisters of Silence aren’t really a part of the Adeptus Custodes Faction” and just slap the same Faction Keyword on all of them and plop the Sisters right into codex. That way instead of having to jump through a bunch of hoops that makes them play exactly as if they part of the same faction (but leads to inadvertent errors like the Valerian and Aleya mess) they can just work right out of the box.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ish said:

...strap in, hold on, and bite down (Non-Necron) Xenos players, it’s gonna be a rough couple months while you wait for your codices.

It's weird how much effort they put into making everyone day 1 ready at launch of 8th, and have decided to go back to the old format for 9th. Especially since they've committed themselves to cranking the power this edition (and start that process by cranking the power on the same army they ended last edition absurdly overpowering).

I mean, if you want to power things up, why start with the most powerful army? No attempt to even pretend to want to level the playing field? 

They openly acknowledge how screwed Xenos are in their article then offer the fact that we'll get 9th edition codexes eventually as some sort of comfort. Yes, we all assumed you would write books, what, other than play a different game, should I do in the meantime, GW?

• Like 2

I agree. I do feel a little dirty as a Space Wolf player getting all of these buffs when Marines were already in a good spot to begin with. Frost weapons will need a change though since their shtick was power weapons that had a +1 STR attached to it. Now that power sword and power axes are getting that +1 STR built in, I hope that the Frost weapons will increase in power (and points) accordingly. Probably +2 STR on a Frost sword and a whopping +3 STR on a Frost Axe. Another alternative (that's probably not as good) is attach Helfrost to every Frost weapon. Would be nice to have our unique Helfrost weapon mechanic on more than three weapons. 

• Like 3

I certainly don't want anyone feeling dirty, you're always a blast to play. I'm messing up by not buying a Space marine army (and foolishly sold the one I did have). But the people that I most regularly play against play:

-Space Wolves/Orks
-Space Wolves
-Space Marines
-Space Marines
-Space Marines
-(soon) Necrons 

Who knows how long I'll be trying to play 9th edition. All those poison attacks, utterly useless.

Alternatively, just return frost weapons to being “power weapons with a paint job.” Perhaps not as exciting, but it seems like from seventh edition onward, they’ve been overdoing it with the unique wargear...

I kinda miss the days when a boltgun was a boltgun was a boltgun. Do we really need Vulcan Bolt Carronades, Cardassian Bolt Mitrailleuses, and Martian Bolt Howitzers or whatever other weird names they’ve attached to ninety different flavors of Boltgun?

• Like 2

I think that might be a factor in the creep, they've lost sense of the relative scale of in-universe power. When you have all these unique weapons, it leaves the base weapons behind, so they've got to creep up.

Only, heavy bolters are going to make autocannons largely obsolete unless they go to damage 3. Multi-meltas are going to make lascannons (and plasmacannons in a lot of cases) largely obsolete, unless there are buffs there too.

Lasguns are made out of lasers, which are certainly more advanced than autoguns, shouldn't they be strength 4? It hits harder than a human fist, right?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Munkie said:

I think that might be a factor in the creep, they've lost sense of the relative scale of in-universe power. When you have all these unique weapons, it leaves the base weapons behind, so they've got to creep up.

Only, heavy bolters are going to make autocannons largely obsolete unless they go to damage 3. Multi-meltas are going to make lascannons (and plasmacannons in a lot of cases) largely obsolete, unless there are buffs there too.

Lasguns are made out of lasers, which are certainly more advanced than autoguns, shouldn't they be strength 4? It hits harder than a human fist, right?

Heavy Bolters are going to 1 shot each so it is unlikely that Autocannons will be obsolete. Multi-Meltas should be more powerful overall than a Lascannon in terms of damage but range is an important part of things. 

I think people are basing that rumor on the leaked instruction booklet rules summary for the Invictus Warsuit with it’s heavy bolter pistol thingy. I’m hoping that the regular heavy bolter remains, more or less, unchanged in its rules and role: slightly heavier hits, faster rate of fire, and longer range than the squad’s small arms but still mostly an anti-infantry platform. It should be able to threaten lighter vehicles and heavy infantry, but not excel at that. 

But, most importantly, I hope that it always goes Dakka Dakka Dakka and not just Blam! 

On 8/13/2020 at 5:41 PM, Inquisitor66 said:

I think they are trying make the rules hew closer to the fiction they established. Whole also emphasizing and embellishing the difference between similar weapons.

I like this direction they are taking, assuming that's what they are intending.  

I don't disagree with the direction they're taking it, they're just starting at the absolute worst possible place for that direction.

If you want to create an edition where "everything is cranked to 11", then you don’t start with the army that was already cranked to 12 last edition and crank that to 13.

Telling players they will eventually get cranked to 10 whenever you get around to it doesn't make them feel better. Especially because I've got a hunch poison is going to continue to be a coin flip as to whether or not it functions. Just like in the fluff, where sometimes they accidentally just load throwing darts and forget the poison half the time. Poison wounding everyone on 2+ would fit the fiction they established!

• Like 1

Poison should have a To Wound value that ignores the Toughness value of any non-Vehicle, but it shouldn't be the same across all Poison weapons. Something like the standard Splinter Rifle or Pistol should always Wound on a 4+. But something heavier like a Splinter Cannon should be a 3+. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, MexicanNinja said:

I don't know why, but I have no motivation to paint my blood angels.  I want nothing to do with playing a space marine army.  I'm almost to the point that I am going to try and sell off my blood angels just so I don't have any ties to these stupid marine rules.

Anyone else having problems getting motivation to paint?

I have not painted in like a week. I got my Doomsday Arks in so I am building them between things at work

• Like 1

I feel you on the sudden aversion to Space Marines. I’ve always liked them and when Eighth Edition and the Imperial Fists Christmas bunbdlemdropped I bought myself an army of them. Due to work and family commitments, I barely got to use them... and when the second codex dropped, Space Marines got stupidly good.

I lost all interest in playing them at that point. I still love the models, but I’m probably gonna just leave them in their storage bin for a few years.

1 minute ago, Lyraeus said:

I have not painted in like a week. I got my Doomsday Arks in so I am building them between things at work

The main thing is I just don't want anything to do with marines at this point.  More wounds, more ignore LOS guns, better chain swords (even though they are the same size as the rest), better bolt guns, i just don't like the rules for them.

Just now, MexicanNinja said:

The main thing is I just don't want anything to do with marines at this point.  More wounds, more ignore LOS guns, better chain swords (even though they are the same size as the rest), better bolt guns, i just don't like the rules for them.

You are hitting exactly why I wont build a marine army. Sisters of Battle will likely be my next army

• Like 1