40K 9th ed

KennyD76

What do I think it will bring to the game? A lot of changes. Probably 90% of all the ITC rules will be in it, especially since Mike Brandt is now on the GW team and was a play tester for 8th edition (and presumably, 9th as well).

Don't care too much about anything else because Intersessors get chainswords! That is AWESOME! Exactly what the Primaris needed. I will field an entire army of Lt's if they can all take volkite pistols, Storm Shields, and Power Swords. Oh my Emperor YES!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I predict that the new edition will fix a lot of the imbalances of the current, the first half dozen new codices will be nicely balanced, and although the Internet hive-mind will figure out a couple quirks and niche exploits, things will be great... for two years.

Then GW will start releasing codices that break many of the core assumptions written into the core rules and become far to powerful; GW will release several supplements that are poorly tested and rushed; the Internet hive-mind will figure out unintended combinations that totally skew the game... and three years after that we’ll get 10th Edition.

• Like 9

I just finished watching the big reveal. Crusade mode sounds like a great escalation campaign built right in. Better terrain! No more tagging tanks! I'm into all of it. Give it to me. Also, squish 'Rona so I can actually play the [big bad swear word]ing game again.

They probably aren't Fast Attack; with the introduction of the Primaris Marines in the first 8th Edition Codex: Space Marines they rejiggered the fluff to have Battleline Squads, Close Support Squads, and Fire Support Squads, instead of the traditional Tactical, Assault, and Devastator Squads... Which I will admit makes more logical sense, but it does fly in the face of thirty-plus years of tradition.

But based on the reactions I'm seeing in the comment sections of BoLs, Faeit 212, Facebook, et cetera there's no shortage of people being incredibly salty over the most minor things in the artwork. So I just decided to add my own.

• Like 2

As I've been saying for years, every time GW introduces a new product -- be it as major as a new edition or as minor as a redesigned paint brush cup -- the reactions are eerily predictable: 

• 33% of the fan base will absolutely hate the new thing and declare the game RUINED FOREVER!!!
  • 33% of the fan base will absolutely love the new thing and declare the game PERFECTED ALAST!!!
  • 34% of the fan base will say MEH. Realizing its an equal mix of good and bad like always, and carry on playing like always... and desperately wish the above two groups would shut up.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Sad to see the green rods go though.

There's people on Faeit 212, et. al., that are cheering the decision to drop the green rods. I don't understand this at all.

The green rods were one of the aesthetics that most strongly defined the Necron look. They were also damn near unique in the entire hobby... You'd think one of the various Star Wars miniatures games that have existed over the decades would have used translucent rods for Jedi and Sith characters, but nope. Just Citadel Miniatures and their space-mummies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ish said:

There's people on Faeit 212, et. al., that are cheering the decision to drop the green rods. I don't understand this at all.

The green rods were one of the aesthetics that most strongly defined the Necron look. They were also damn near unique in the entire hobby... You'd think one of the various Star Wars miniatures games that have existed over the decades would have used translucent rods for Jedi and Sith characters, but nope. Just Citadel Miniatures and their space-mummies. 

I actually went and got a pack of blue translucent rod in the right diameter for my Necrons, back before I shelved that project. I should maybe dig out and finish enough for a Kill Team.

• Like 1

I'm stoked for 9th ed, even though I bought the 8th ed book not too long ago. I guess that sort of thing is bound to happen. 
The 9 rules changes the put in the video are all really good. Overall, I like the ITC stuff, because you can always play more relaxed than the book but it's hard to make a game more competitive. I hate tournament home-brew, generally. This ought to reduce the need for that. (I'm a non-competitive player, I just like it best when everything is in the core rules)

I'm going to be following the hype train, and drooling at the new models... like that grim new Primaris character. He looks sick. Sadly, I don't play chad-marines. My 10k of custom marine chapter models have soured me on the idea of replacing all of the stuff I have with newer versions of essentially the same thing. Hence why I've started Eldar after wanting to all these years. I just wish GW would give more attention to non-MEQ armies. Necrons and Marines for this wave? Yawn. I'll enjoy seeing cool models, but I'm not buying any of them. 

• Like 1

I really do wish the long rumored (and likely pure fandom wishlisting) idea of a “Year of the Xenos” would become a reality.

I mean, I get it, Space Marines v. Chaos Space Marines are GW’s bread and butter. But I don’t think spending a mere 12 months to really focus on the Eldar, Orks, Tau, and Tyranids for a quarter each and weaving some sort of narrative around it would really hurt sales of the power armored armies... 

• Like 3

Totally, that would be great. Some of the models are such old sculpts, they look like trash next to the new lines. All of the new lines are awesome models. I love admech and cult stylistically. GW can make cool new models. We just need them to turn some effort away from the Primaris money machines. lol. Never gonna happen.

• Like 1

Looks like it's a solid evolution, and if all the PA books were indeed designed with it in mind, it should be in a pretty good state at launch.

Curious about the digital rules, since I usually buy the Apple Books versions anyway. In any case, an app and better rule management is welcome.

Edit: Looks like ITC is adopting the 9th edition rules, and dropping their custom rules (including terrain), and that the new terrain rules are "really good" (NOVA may do as well I just haven't seen it).

• Like 1

Most of the Eldar Aspect Warriors are in their teenage years... The current Necron Warriors and Necron Destroyers kits date back to 2003... And I think the generic rank and file Ork Boyz are both from 1999!

Necrons are apparently due a big wave, the Tau and Eldar both got some updates, and the Orks had a nice wave last year... But it’s about more than just models. They need some narrative love.

I mean, I can’t remember GW ever having a big massive campaign event where the Eldar were in a lead role. Orks had the two Third Armageddon War events, Tau had the Damocles Gulf event, and the Tyranids had something whose name I forget. Those events were also all a decade or more in the past. Mostly it’s Chaos, Chaos, Chaos... 

I don’t want to sound like I’m “hating on” Space Marines. I like ‘em, I do. Yes, even the Primaris Marines.

I also love steak. We all love steak. But if you were fed steak for dinner every night for thirty-three years, eventually you’d really want to have some friggin’ chicken, right?

• Like 4

I'm always optimistic because there has really only been one edition I didn't like (6th).  i can gripe about individual examples of brokenness that certain people felt the need to exploit and the uphill battle that could make a game.  Screamer Stars and Castellans and bears of my.  But the new management has had their heads screwed on the right way thus far, and so i am only really hoping for two changes i nthe long run:

Shorter game times

Less dice rolling

if I get those two things i nthe long run i will likely love it as much as I ever did.  I know everyone thinks they are CEO material and that they are game designers who have earned their right among the pantheon of game designers and thats why they can turn their nose up at this or at that.  I know.  I know.  But the reality of the situation is that we have no control at this stage and "bailing out" is about as reasonable as growing a second head.  

To me, the fact that these ridiculously cool toys actually have RULES that I can use to actually play with them still blows my mind.  Like i was 30 when i discovered my love of 40K and my head still explodes when I think about the fact that these models have these awesome ways to field armies and do pretend battles.  That is just epic to me.  I dont always like every rule and I dont always like how some opponents treat me.  That's true.  but i have loved the actual hobby of war gaming far more than any gripe i have had.

• Like 2