IT'S FINALLY HERE !!! - 10 (not-so) FREE TICKETS TO THE HYPE TRAIN FOR EVERYONE !!!

Tao Tsê-Mung

based on the termy, I don't think it is hard to day that a typical marine is going to be T4, W2, and 3+ armor save. Combine that with a bolter stat which will probably be S4, 3+ to hit, AP 0, 24" rapid fire (thanks to storm bolter stats). If other armies infantry weapons aren't better than the bolter....

popping off a bunch of lasguns at marines is going to be really worthless. So that leaves doing real damage to special/heavy weapons. And of course good melee weapons as well.

If strategems are going to fix that? then this game just went back to "special rules win the day" hammer. Ugh. Have fun waiting for those.

Exactly! Expressing a concern based on released information is surely the clarion call of doom and gloom for now and all end times. Or, maybe take a more laid back response and simply say, we'll see. Unless of course you have some new math that proves me wrong? Or would like to deny the fact that marines or other MEQs are not the most popular armies....? But no, your clear and concise lack of argumentation and use of hyperbole is much more helpful.

Well, GW has said that 10th will be "less killy" than 8th/9th was, though I agree that it will be hard to judge exactly what this means until it's out. I do agree that the onus is on GW though to provide a game that isn't bogged down with supplements and stratagems since (IMO) 8th and 9th started off strong but eventually devolved into big messes. I would describe myself as "guardedly optimistic:" From what has been previewed I'm eager to give it a try, since the changes have (mostly) been positive, but I'm fully prepared to stop at the indices or backtrack to 8th Indexhammer / 5th / 3rd edition the moment a "campaign supplement" drops that means I have to carry around a 3rd book.

• Like 2

I don’t automatically hate the idea of campaign supplements, I really enjoyed Codex: Armageddon and Codex: Eye of Terror back in the day… But I want supplements that are actually supplemental to the game. The last several years worth haven’t been optional ways to add some spice to the recipe, they’ve been nigh mandatory updates.

Ideally, a wargame should require no more of the player than owning the main rulebook and maybe one other book for their chosen army.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

I don’t automate hate the idea of campaign supplements, I really enjoyed Codex: Armageddon and Codex: Eye of Terror back in the day… But I want supplements that are actually supplemental to the game. The last several years worth haven’t been optional ways to add some spice to the recipe, they’ve been nigh mandatory updates.

Ideally, a wargame should require no more of the player than owning the main rulebook and maybe one other book for their chosen army.

Oh I agree 100%. I love the Eye of Terror book! But as someone who played Bloody Rose Sisters of Battle in 9th, I was extremely vexed when a "campaign supplement" came out that contained... extra rules for Bloody Rose Sisters of Battle! I wouldn't say I'm optimistic that 10th won't do this (they've been doing it since 7th), but I am hopeful!

Just read the latest from Warhammer Community. Looks like the following:

Army Rule
Detachment Selection
-- Detachment Ability
-- Detachment Stratagems (6)
-- Detachment Enhancements - wargear/character abilities

I like the limitation on stratagems....meaning you only ever have 18 total (12 basic ones, and 6 from detachment). That is helpful. I can see GW creating packs of detachment decks for each army to replace the huge stratagem decks they have now.

It was also nice to see that they are limiting rerolls a lot more. I hated the reroll spam from 9th.

No word yet on how many command points you'll get, so that is going to have a major impact. I hope they keep it limited. But if they are the key to actually removing models from the table, I don't see how they can be. 😕

I have to say, GW is doing a good job of keeping me guessing at this point. The stats they have released seem to be showing a less lethal game, ie models sticking around longer. But if that is true, then that seems to imply using less models on the table overall. But that is completely counter to what GW has shown in the past. Based on what they have shown with the Detachment abilities, those aren't major in removing models. And if stratagems are both offensive and defensive...then that seems like a wash. Still sort of pointing to big guns being a must in order to do real damage.

I would love to see WH40k return to the days of RT/2nd/3rd where the default game size only had twenty to thirty Space Marine infantry on the table backed up by maybe a tank/dread/APC.

Back in 2nd Edition, a Tactical Squad of ten marines (one with a heavy bolter, one with a flamer, bolt pistol and chainsword for sarge, and krak grenades for everybody) would cost you 358 Points.

In 9th Edition, that same squad set up costs 180 Points.

But, of course, GW doesn’t want to do that. MOAR MODELS!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tenth has me interested. Seems like it will be smoother to play and build lists. Those were both major stumbling blocks I had with 9th. This new format will also let them publish detachments in WD or online as well, so that lets them boost armies well before coming out with actual army books. Well at least that would be the hope. Flames of War lets you buy specific armies in their online builder for very reasonable prices (talking $1-3$). GW could easily do the same with detachments. Wouldn't that be nice....yeah I don't believe it myself. 🙂

Still though, it has me hopeful. Now to wait for the launch and see these free army rules and unit cards.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, Brother Glacius said:

I have to say, I'm very surprised at the sheer number of new models for the nids. Are those units plugging holes in their codex? They had a fairly substantial roster of units already. If I can't resist the box set, that means scouring mindtaker's nid inventory....gah.

jaw dropping for sure, I can't believe how many new models, holy poopcicles

Anyone else worried about special characters in 10th edition and how every army is going to have at least one if not more in them? I mean come on. Every single one they highlight can take out a complete marine squad in one round of combat. I can say I don't really like that.

EDIT: okay, so after they highlight mechanicus, they have a special character that can't wipe out a 10 man marine unit in one turn.

• Confused 1

And the special character requirement just got another boost. What Thousand Sons army is not going to have Ahriman? He gives you 3 Cabal points a round, adds 1 to the wound roll of a unit he's in, and allows you a free Ritual once per game. That might not sound so bad unless one of the rituals prevented a unit from making any armor saves that phase. What the hell?? Granted, I'm not a competitive player anymore and this won't personally impact me...but I still think its poor design. The vast majority of special characters I have seen pretty much make them "must haves" for their armies. That is [big bad swear word] design. But if you want to make sure you sell the extra expensive models....its great. 🙄

• Like 2

There’s a reason “no named Special Characters” was a staple house rule for most of the game’s history, until… what was it fifth or sixth edition when they started making it a requirement to use some named Special Characters to access certain subfactions (e.g., a Dark Angels player couldn’t field a Deathwing army unless they took Belial).

I have always found it more fun to pick my heroes’ wargear from a big list, kitbash a unique model for him, and come up with my own name and backstory. Just felt a stronger connection to my toy soldiers that way… 

(Coincidentally, this is why I’ve never been able to get into WarmaHordes, Infinity, or the myriad Star Wars miniatures games.)

• Like 4

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I had fun with Belial leading my Deathwing back when they were my main army, the Space Ork Freebooterz army I keep meaning to build will feature Kap’n Badrukk, and my Custodes are often led by Trajan…

But… It does seem weird to see the somebody Chapter Master of the Ultramarines (or maybe even the gorram Primarch!) on the table in anything smaller than a 5,000 Point game.

I also just really miss the older editions where players were strongly encouraged to make their own heroes and carve out our own piece of the universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heck, you can’t even really customize the generic heroes.

In 9th Edition, a Primaris Captain can have:

• Auto Bolt rifle and Bolt Pistol
  • stalker bolt rifle and bolt pistol
  • Power sword and Bolt Pistol
  • Plasma pistol and power fist
  • Heavy bolt pistol, power sword, and relic shield
  • if a dark Angel (and only a dark Angel) a bolt carbine and bolt pistol 
  • if a dark Angel (and only a dark Angel) a bolt carbine and power fist

That’s it. You have to pick one of those load outs. No mixing and matching. You want a plasma pistol and power sword? Too bad. Chainsword and bolt pistol? No. Lightning claws? Ha! Power axe? Get lost. And so on and so forth.

• Like 1