Why the End Times is stupid

They actually don't say they destroyed all of that reality.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jETvpvbvKBU/VQAq2iqrHCI/AAAAAAABbRY/qVqeVLbuCCY/s1600/B_zAz5cWcAAZu0A.jpg

They say they destroyed the whole world. Their use of the world reality was to just show how the warp works. It was not to say that they destroyed the universe or that reality. Just that world. It, in fact, says they are moving on to other worlds, not other realities.

I've actually looked at quite a bit of End TImes. I have to to confirm rumors. :)

I stand corrected. But Lileath did help Eldyra build a new reality from the power she gained when she was trapped in Castle Drakenhof.

Doesn't really matter though, unless they connect the two games again, the main connection is that the WHFB was the inspiration for 40K and several of its races are directly taken from WHFB.

From a poster over at Warseer about the novel`s ending;

"I just noticed that the ending of the novel is written a little different from the ending of the fluff-book

The orb is instead a shard of the world that had been (the orb already gave me the idea of being the World,just eons after its death,but here it's stated)

And when the figure reaches with his hands,the miracle takes form into the void"

Posters name is Fin.

Not much different but it does seem to indicate that the old world could be brought back in some form.

GW has always waffled between hamfisted drama and last minute pulled punches. It's no surprise that with their recent panic about their *inexplicably declining sales and player base, that they're swinging hams like an angsty teen at a hardcore show.

*It couldn't possibly have anything to do with our poorly written, poorly balanced, poorly supported rules, combined with rapidly rising prices and utter refusal to accept feedback or communicate in any way with our customers in an age where communication is the easiest and cheapest (free) it's ever been, could it? No, of course not. Why? Because we make good models, and dammit, we're G-mother[big bad swear word]ing-W and they should be so lucky as to buy our product! It's simply inexplicable.

• Like 3

Honestly if you want official gw info on the connection of the 40k universe and warhammer fantasy universe all you have to do is read the Realms of Chaos books: The Lost and the Damned and Slaves to Darkness. They had rules for Chaos space marines in the old world. I have fought several Chaos marines in warhammer fantasy roleplay.

Say, I own those book! Yeah, in the late 80's There was a very real connection, but it was somewhere around 4th or 5th edition (fantasy) that they broke the fluff and rules ties, and to my knowledge, they have never revisited that topic.

*not claiming to be some lore master or anything, I could easily have missed something somewhere.

And please tell me how one man who lived is going to use magic to populate a whole new lifeless orb that was floating in the void...and he's going to make all the races come back..even the evil ones.....yeah...no....that is stupid....End Times is stupid. Chaos has billions of planets to be concerned with...yet we haven't read one instance of where Chaos destroyed a planet completely in 40K. Please..point that one out. No...they even have planets in the eye of terror...but the old world..nope..it had to be wiped out completely. Cuz GW is dumb.

I don't quite understand where all this vitriol is coming from.

From an outsider's perspective, the WHFB world has always looked like a 13-year-old's D&D campaign world. The map is a cheap carbon copy of Earth with Atlantis jammed into the Atlantic. All of the human nations are theme park versions of real world cultures (Bretonnia = France, The Empire = the Holy Roman Empire, Estonia = Spain, Tilea = Italy, Araby = Moors / generic Arabs, Nehekhara = Egypt, Ogres = Steppe peoples, Nippon = Japan, Cathay = China), and sprinkled amongst those are more cheap knockoffs of Tolkien races.

Of course, beneath that cheap veneer is a rich world that's benefitted from 30 years of development and narrative material. However much of that is wasted on the general public (and even on most WHFB players) due to the seeming generic-ness of it.

The ET is a way to give that world a send-off with a series of gorgeously illustrated narrative campaign books. While the narrative itself is hit-and-miss at times, it's hard to argue that the production values weren't top-notch.

And now, with the world ended, they've set the stage to build a new world that is as iconic and as rich as any other wargaming setting. Including their own 40K universe, which I think most would argue is a far richer and more narratively compelling universe. 

• Like 1

ooooo and ogres...and halflings...and beastmen....

they did come up with tyranids (alien franchise)...ummmm necrons (terminator)....tau (anime).....hmmmmm

I think you forgot to mention: Space Marines (Starship Troopers)

You could also mention that 40k was based on Fantasy but I am sure that is of no concern :laugh:

Yes, that magical, original sci fi setting...filled with...orcs....and elves...and dwarves....oh..and chaos is there too....

ooooo and ogres...and halflings...and beastmen....

they did come up with tyranids (alien franchise)...ummmm necrons (terminator)....tau (anime).....hmmmmm

The distinction I am making is between the world itself, and the immediate impression that world makes on a new entrant, and the races / narratives that fill that world.

The effect of the WHFB world is that it appears very generic on the surface. The world is generic. There is no central, unifying narrative or theme that ties it all together. The races are immediately identifiable by their generic fantasy counterparts rather than as uniquely WHFB races.

What people notice first about the 40K universe is the rather unique, gothic setting. There's a compelling central narrative in the Horus vs. Emperor, Chaos versus Imperial conflict. Even though all of the races have generic counterparts, they've been incorporated in such a way that the effect of it is muted.

Essentially, WH40K strikes you as a unique setting on first glance. Nothing about the WHFB setting will do that. It lacks a "hook," which the WH40K has in that central conflict.

• Like 3

There is an appeal to 40K and there is one for WHFB. Too bad 40K is unbalanced as all get out, last time I played, otherwise my painted Dark Angel army would be out of storage. As for new players you don't find that out till you watch Taudar rape you silly time and again. In fact Tau anything. (If I ever play again and someone pulls out a Tau allied army I am walking out. And no, there is no justifiable fluff for a Grey Knight/Tau army.)

At least WHFB the game and players worked on a balance that 40K gave up on. So the story may seem interesting but the game just disappoints me now. :sad:

• Like 1

I would not say 40k is far more compelling universe considering most of its hook is stolen from Dune, but I do agree with the rest of Mekhet's posts.  Fantasy's skin deep lore looks like a DnD/Tolkien clone with nothing special going on.  We all know that's not true, but the layman doesn't know that.  Hell the whole "40k has better fluff" mainly stems from that!  I'm not saying that you should like the End Times, but definitely don't call it out for ruining something great when it's more of a sidegrade.

I would not say 40k is far more compelling universe considering most of its hook is stolen from Dune, but I do agree with the rest of Mekhet's posts.  Fantasy's skin deep lore looks like a DnD/Tolkien clone with nothing special going on.  We all know that's not true, but the layman doesn't know that.  Hell the whole "40k has better fluff" mainly stems from that!  I'm not saying that you should like the End Times, but definitely don't call it out for ruining something great when it's more of a sidegrade.

I don't know of a single player how ever got into the game because they saw the fluff or world map first (for 40k or fantasy). While I know there are people who live and breath fluff, it is not the main gateway into the game (it my propel interest but it is not the first thing one sees.) It's really the models more than anything for both games that first hook say... 95% (I made that up) of players. They may decide to play or not after the models get them reading the fluff, but I think more people than not go from models to game (an assuming they have a good time then move on to heavy fluff). So what I am saying, is we probably don't need to argue about what fluff is better/worse/more copied, as it probably is not the biggest factor in who plays the games. (40k is their kid's game though, I'll tell you that much  :tongue:  )

so much sand in that vagina

So much sand.

You should wash that out... must chafe something fierce!

• Like 1

I don't know of a single player how ever got into the game because they saw the fluff or world map first (for 40k or fantasy). While I know there are people who live and breath fluff, it is not the main gateway into the game (it my propel interest but it is not the first thing one sees.) It's really the models more than anything for both games that first hook say... 95% (I made that up) of players. They may decide to play or not after the models get them reading the fluff, but I think more people than not go from models to game (an assuming they have a good time then move on to heavy fluff). So what I am saying, is we probably don't need to argue about what fluff is better/worse/more copied, as it probably is not the biggest factor in who plays the games. (40k is their kid's game though, I'll tell you that much :tongue: )

You should wash that out... must chafe something fierce!

but the burn huuuuuurts soooo goood

• Like 1

I don't know of a single player how ever got into the game because they saw the fluff or world map first.

I bought the Dwarf army book back in 1995 and read it cover to cover and fell in love with the fluff. I wouldn't of bought into fantasy without that fluff. I was 16 at the time. Guess you know one person.

• Like 1

I bought the Dwarf army book back in 1995 and read it cover to cover and fell in love with the fluff. I wouldn't of bought into fantasy without that fluff. I was 16 at the time. Guess you know one person.

Yeah. I remember seeing the Elf book back in the day and reading the stories and getting an erection so hard it could split stone. Im talking fuxking mahogany bro. Prettt sure I could have drilled steel with that boner.

• Like 1