Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My name is THX-1138 and I'm putting together a special team, and I need me eight soldiers. Eight loyal human soldiers.

Now, y'all might've heard rumors about the new battle station becoming active soon that will keep the outer systems in fear. Well, we'll be activating a little earlier. We're gonna be dropped into the Outer Rim, dressed as civilians. And once we're in rebel territory, as a bushwhackin' guerrilla army, we're gonna be doin' one thing and one thing only... killin' Jedis.

Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come outta them goddamn Kamino pods, cross five thousand light years of space, fight my way through half of Geonosis and jump out of a frakin' El-Aye-Aye-Tea to teach the Jedis lessons in humanity. Jedis ain't got no humanity. They're the cult-soldiers of a religion of baby-stealin', mass murderin' maniacs and they need to be dee-stroyed. That's why any and every son of a bitch we find wearin' a laser-sword, they're gonna die.

Now, I'm the direct descendant of the Mandolorian Jango Fett. That means I got a little Mando in me. And our battle plan will be that of an Mando hunt. We will be cruel to the Jedis, and through our cruelty they will know who we are. And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered, and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us. And the Jedis won't not be able to help themselves but to imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, and our boot heels, and the edge of our vibro-knives.

And the Jedis will be sickened by us, and the Jedis will talk about us, and the Jedis will fear us. And when one of them Jedi closes their eyes at night and they're tortured by their subconscious for the evil they have done, it will be with thoughts of us they are tortured with. Sound good?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I genuinely love it when I buy something from someone overseas (most recently, a miniatures Kickstarter from Poland) and they include a little piece of candy or cookies or something in the box.

Yeah, I know it’s just a 75¢ chocolate bar not all that different from what I can buy at the corner gas station… But, I dunno, something about the packaging being covered in words I can’t read just makes it more fun. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My last 3 Google searches:

"Separating into eighths"

"Is there a verb for separating into eighths?"

"4 is to quartered as 8 is to" (particularly proud of that one)

Now I know, what you might be thinking, and no! I'm trying to come up with a particularly poetical way to describe a gruesome death at the tentacles of a kraken for for the purpose of hockey-based [big bad swear word] talk.

Anyone help a fella out? 

15 minutes ago, Munkie said:

My last 3 Google searches:

"Separating into eighths"

"Is there a verb for separating into eighths?"

"4 is to quartered as 8 is to" (particularly proud of that one)

Now I know, what you might be thinking, and no! I'm trying to come up with a particularly poetical way to describe a gruesome death at the tentacles of a kraken for for the purpose of hockey-based [big bad swear word] talk.

Anyone help a fella out? 

Yes! So I googled a bit too and found this from a random internet source (January 2014)

"I just did a crossword puzzle and the answer to the clue "many a pizza slice" was "octant".

I find this definition via google:

an arc of a circle equal to one eighth of its circumference, or the area enclosed by such an arc with two radii of the circle. [Note: this justifies the pizza slice answer.]
each of eight parts into which a space or solid body is divided by three planes that intersect (especially at right angles) at a single point."

Researching further now... Nevermind giving up on this mathematical rabbit hole, it is far too late for this with work in the morning.

Edited by VonVilkee
  • Thanks 1

The simple past tense and past participle of “eighth“ is “eighthed.”

Halved and quartered are the only terms that get special names, everything else is just really boring: thirded, fifthed, sixthed, seventhed, eighthed, ninthed, and tenthed…

The reason behind this isn’t mathematical, it’s linguistic.  “Quarter” and “half,” and all the various tenses and participles of them, come to us via Latin; “third,” “fifth,” “eighth” and what have you come to us from Proto-Germanic. “Quartered” and “halved” are also far more common ways of dividing stuff, so the special words for dividing things into those specific quantities get a lot more usage. Heck, my phones spellcheck isn’t even recognizing “thirded” or “tenthed” as words.

If you want a real maths rabbit hole to get lost down, go read up on how the old British monetary system, pre-decimalization, worked. Twenty shillings to the pound sterling; twelve pence to the shilling; and 240 pence to the pound… It was a far superior system to decimalized currency. But, alas…

• Like 1