God forbid! Im excited for 9th ed.

Seriously! 

So incredibly excited to read a new rule book over a few cups of coffee, talk new strategies, re learn how to play my armies. Ive been playing this game for a very long time and I really do feel like a change is necessary at this point. Thats not to take away from what 8th edition is/was, the greatest edition of the game by far! I dont think that sentiment will change with 9th. For some of us it may take time, some dont like change, but if its anything like 7th to 8th, it will clean up some of the sloppiness of the system and hopefully add new elements that will challenge all of us to come up with new ideas and strategies. 

Warseer has Lizardmen posted on round bases, meaning, Lizardmen arent gone like many of us were afraid of, but round bases have been introduced to WHFB. THe speculation is that it doesnt matter what base you are on, but in my opinion i think they are trying to squash the trend of unit fillers, or very large unit fillers IN UNITS. As much as I love the artistic expression and dynamic of modeling to that extent, buildings walking around with soldiers surrounding it does look silly when the table is supposed to have the terrain features acting as game elements. Again, not to say I dont like unit fillers, I can just see them wanting to get away from that sort of mentality, as they can sell more models. 

Anyone else looking forward to this?

• Like 4

Super looking forward to 9th edition. I'm nervous as to the form it is going to take, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that the general spirit of the game as we play it now will remain somehow. I think GW is just realizing that they need some kind of natural launchpad for fantasy, as expecting people to shell $500-900 before their army is playable is a bit much.

A skirmish component would also make it really easy for people to start up new armies. You buy a demon skirmish force, with the idea of adding it to your warriors force as allies for bigger battles. Then before you know it you have as many demons as you do warriors. Makes it much easier for people to justify purchasing new plastic crack for themselves.

That said, I don't see unit fillers going away. I suspect we'll see an end to specific model placement making a difference, meaning that your badass characters can go on big scenic display bases rather than tiny little 20mm bases inside of units. Easy enough to just carve that into a unit filler in the middle of a unit.

Necromancer standing ontop of a mausoleum, tendrils of magic coaxing hordes of freshly dead out of their graves....right in the middle of a 100-man zombie brick.

Dont get me wrong, unit fillers are cool, i just find it more difficult to use them effectively on round bases. Usually the unit fillers are on bigger bases than the unit is mounted on and take up more space, i just cant see a bunch of small round bases with a larger base representing a larger group of soldiers, just doesnt seem feasible.

Do people use unit fillers in 40k? Perhaps I havent seen many good examples. 

ill just stay away from ranting, but i just hope GW supports the GAME a bit more regardless of what they make it.  ill definitely be playing unless they drop my armies and make me change all my bases.  i highly doubt that will happen..... regardless of how people feel about 9th rumors i think everyone is a bit inpatient right now and ready for it.  stagnancy isnt good for my ADD :D

im most interested to see how they do the circle/square base.  i started star wars armada and it uses both and its awesome so im curious how GW will do it. 

Just remember that, as a Beastmen player, you're required to change your bases each book.

thanks for the reminder.... but still if i have to replace the 70 gf9 magnetic bases i just finished, ill add one more layer of lacto-bacto yeast nutrient and send it to GW.  hope they enjoy opening that :rolleyes:

my only gripe is please no infantry 20mm or 25mm changes.  the rest im ok with........... actually im all for changing razorgor bases!

Ive been really kinda bummed about the whole Ending of the WHF world,being left hanging and all that.I mean is it written in stone that there IS going to be another edition of the game?..or could it actually be that 8th was,in fact "The End"

So far as I can tell its just been a series of rumors with reliabilitie ranging from LOLno..to "this guy is right most all the time" but has GW confirmed to the public that there WILL be a continuation of WHF?

Ive been hanging out in 40k for a while and enjoying my gaming there,but I do like to alternate and get some WHF in as well but lately ive had a hard time picking up any of the books just because im not sure if its going to be around for much longer.

Alternative game systems like KoW are nice and all but I would still very much like to keep a couple army builds for WHFB in the mix so im really hoping they do something soon before peoples move on permanently from the game.

I'm certainly about wait and see....but suffice it to say I'm going to be really disappointed if my 17 years worth of army building and painting needs to be on round bases in order to play the game......

It's players like you with Fantastic Beautiful armies that I say "Screw It", rules or not play them as they are.

You spent years creating pieces of art, do not change them at all. No one will question you for it.

Do people use unit fillers in 40k? Perhaps I havent seen many good examples. 

Not quite the same concept in 40k. You could still get it to work, but it becomes closer to a proxy or counts as addition to a unit, rather than a unit filler.

As a 40k player, I very much welcome anything that allows giant units to be moved faster on the table...

It's players like you with Fantastic Beautiful armies that I say "Screw It", rules or not play them as they are.

You spent years creating pieces of art, do not change them at all. No one will question you for it.

...which is why I wrote "disappointed" and not "annoyed" or "pissed" or some such. Because if it were the case (round bases mandatory).... I certainly wouldn't do it. I have long been squarely in the "put a lot of heart and soul into your figures...and then call them finished and that's it....they are finished...no more nothin". The only post finished work that I have done on figures is to upgrade some really old bases that were finished with just flock (that's how it was done in the old days ) to match current armies done with more attention to bases.

Anyway....wait and see, I suppose.

• Like 1

So wait, what if, and bear with me cause I haven't really followed end times or anything else in a while....

Fantasy world has been destroyed and pockets of it still exist where battle continues.

But the Fantasy world has long been rumoured to exist within the 40k universe? Perhaps within the eye of terror or some such?

Fantasy is moving to round bases.

Finkle IS Einhorn.

Einhorn IS Finkle.

Fantasy is moving to the 40k universe for reals.

Perhaps GW is taking a drink of the warma-hordes coolaid and rewriting both games to work together, become a single game system.

*mindblown*

• Like 2

To be fair, in 40k square bases are legal if they are the base the model came with. I'm legally allowed to field my Dreadnoughts on the 40mm squares they came with.

Finkle IS Einhorn.

Einhorn IS Finkle.

Best post EVER!

Lion, if your bases are mag'd, then you could always just mag a round base and boom...done.

9th (or whatever nonsense they release) will be the first Fantasy system I don't buy from GW since 4th. When GW returns to the awesomeness of regiment boxes, then I might give them a look again.