Star war spoiler don't come here if you haven't seen it

Skkipper

OK, I've been thinking about it more and more and I also delved into the critical consensus to see some other takes.  

I've come away with this.

I *REALLY* like the new crop of characters.  Rey, Finn, and Poe all offer something unique or a combination of stock characters.  There's also some mystery for all of them (both Rey and Finn don't know their parents for instance).  Kylo Ren is interesting because he obviously isn't fully developed yet as a Sith, but he was able to kill his father, when Luke wasn't.  Not sure if that makes him stronger or not?  

Finn is interesting because he's kind of a coward, but also battle-trained.  He's also naive in certain senses.  

Rey is similarly naive, but instead of whiny she's just kind of reckless.  I like her kind of stupid positivity.  

Poe has fewer lines than the other two, but his cock-sure fighter jock attitude is great.  

Anyway, its such a blatant re-work of New Hope that I struggle to rate it higher than New Hope or Empire, but the visuals and flow are so good.  Its very modern and snappy.  

I'm EXTREMELY excited about 8 and 9 because Rian Johnson is taking over and he likes to do off-kilter stuff and I hope that they don't just rehash Empire and RotJ plots.  

• Like 2

From

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-some-crazy-speculation-about-the-true-identity-of-1750224198

But so far discussion of Snoke’s identity from official sources has all but denied the link between the two characters. Andy Serkis has said in the pastthat the character is completely new to the Star Wars universe, but more recently the art book The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens revealed that at some point the production team were considering that Snoke could be a female—which would rule out the male Plagueis pretty quickly, and the fact that it was under consideration does seem to imply that there isn’t any real link between the two villains.

• Like 2

Doesn't seem to work as everyone in the movie is sweating 24/7

Yeah, it's supposed to keep them hot. It was designed for use on places like Hoth, but accidentally made standard kit everywhere ;)

Finally got around to seeing this. Fun flick. Honestly, I might well rate it my favorite of the Star Wars movies so far, if only because I first saw the original trilogy in the 90s as a jaded teenager, rather than as a kid. Yeah, it has some Shield of Baal level "SPACE DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT" problems, but I was expecting that, since Abrams seems to have a generally poor grasp of just how mind-bogglingly huge Space is, so it didn't bother me that much. I liked all the characters, old and new. Well, maybe not "like" for some (Kylo Ren, the First Order General dude, whatever his name was, the ginger guy), but appreciated. They worked for who they were supposed to be, whether or not that was someone "likable".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's supposed to keep them hot. It was designed for use on places like Hoth, but accidentally made standard kit everywhere ;)

Finally got around to seeing this. Fun flick. Honestly, I might well rate it my favorite of the Star Wars movies so far, if only because I first saw the original trilogy in the 90s as a jaded teenager, rather than as a kid. Yeah, it has some Shield of Baal level "SPACE DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT" problems, but I was expecting that, since Abrams seems to have a generally poor grasp of just how mind-bogglingly huge Space is, so it didn't bother me that much. I liked all the characters, old and new. Well, maybe not "like" for some (Kylo Ren, the First Order General dude, whatever his name was, the ginger guy), but appreciated. They worked for who they were supposed to be, whether or not that was someone "likable".

My only complaint about the movie is that it doesn't slow down to appreciate the scenery. Too crowded jumping from one action scene to the next. Though quite honestly, the same critique can be levelled at ANH which is only SLIGHTLY more evenly-paced.

finally saw it after looking down at the ground for the past month(i saw the last 3 waiting at midnight and after that disappointment i wasnt going to put myself through that again lol).  saw in imax3D and boy was it worth the wait!  there were a few eye roll moments but overall i think its hands down the best of the group ive seen.  what really made me happy was i thought the humor REALLY improved compared to the last 6.  there were some really funny parts imo.  the plot i thought was great.  i know everyone says 'a new hope' and i get that but its really just following the typical 'heroes journey'.  that saying, there were some cheesy moments of parallel between the ol' trilogy.  Finn was my favorite story line as i thought that was kind of cool.  acting was pretty good.  ya know everyone likes to give 'emo darth vader' a bad time, but honestly he didnt ruin the [big bad swear word]ing movie like christensen and jar jar barf.  lashing out in anger rather than whining like a little bitch i thought was a better reaction to a confused personality.  so honestly him not ruining the movie with his emotions i think totally speaks to the better directing by JJ abrams.  there were some typical lolz abrams moments of plot fails but overall nice job.  the blowing up of the new death star was by far the best one(of course thats not really fair considering technology... but still).  the only REAL disappointment i found in the movie was the lightsaber fights.  they were super lame.  hopefully that improves but really freaking solid!  sooo relieved after seeing this!  And bravo to harrison ford.  he really made this movie amazing... great way for him to go out!

• Like 2

the only REAL disappointment i found in the movie was the lightsaber fights.  they were super lame.  hopefully that improves but really freaking solid! 

Someone on tumblr said that Kylo Ren is supposed to be like only half-trained with the light saber or something, and Rey was basically just using moves that would have worked with her staff. So hopefully yeah, both characters should get more training, and their future fights should be better.

• Like 1