Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Watched Tom Segura's newest stand-up special on Netflix... enjoyable and funny.  Not as good as the previous one but that one's hard to top.  7/10

Then watched Joe Rogan's newest stand-up special on Netflix... pretty good and he's always an energetic performer.  Interesting takes on stuff.  8/10

Aziz Ansari's special from Madison Square Garden didn't do it for me, just didn't hold my interest.  5/10

Finally saw Suicide Squad. 2/5: Watched it all the way through, but didn't like it and won't watch it again.

Loved the Assault on Arkham (4/5), was really hoping this one would measure up.

Suicide Squad didn't. Dialogue was very lacking, clearly aimed at the lowest common denominator. Characters were mediocre incarnations of their comic selves, clearly aiming to not offend people by being actual bad guys. And on top of everything, antagonist was a computer animated monster.

Also, finally saw Batman Vs Superman. 2/5: watched it through, didn't like it and won't watch again.

It had moments, but the film was poorly put together, dialogue was lacking, and the title was misleading (film is not really about batman vs superman, that's a subplot of this very long film).

Ben Affleck was pretty terrible, but I don't think he was solely to blame, as this entire batman incarnation was very lacking, not just the actor. I did feel that the batman suit made him look like a fat guy in a girdle, since his face exposed seemed to be too large for the batman suit.

I'm not a fan of the depressing world which that setting takes place in, which is not reality, but something they created. Superman as a beacon of hope was downplayed. Batman turned into an idiot that just has basic detective skills and was easily blinded by mainstream media. And lex luthor changed into an obvious attempt to recreate the joker from dark knight.

And despite her very limited role, wonder woman was really the one decent character, which would have been great if the film was titled "Wonder Woman...and friends...VS Lex Luthor's Doomsday." Sad that wonder woman had to debut in that film.

The Pact. Creeped me out big time. Which is the point of horror films, yes, but I think this one may have gone a little over my line. Not helped by the fact that there are bits reminiscent of one of Lovercraft's stories that I read when I was too young to really deal with it. Glad I have an upper floor apartment, or I really wouldn't be sleeping well tonight.

Legends of Oz: 1/5. Didn't like it really early on.

Snow Queen: 2/5. Watched it all the way through. I think this film suffers from a dialogue issue, because the animation tells a great story and the dialogue takes away from the story, with characters becoming less enjoyable the more they talk. I suspect this one is an english version of a foreign film. Film also feels condensed, like they had too much content and not enough time to play it. This is otherwise a very mediocre fantasy kids film, with no real originality, but it's very close to being a good film, despite that, if they had just nailed the dialogue and the pace of the story.

Metropolis (1927, remastered) 5/5. Hadn't seen it before. Very strange film, sad too. I'll definitely watch again, but probably not anytime soon. Lots of weird imagery, plot concepts, and it still blows my mind when this was filmed: Pre-WW2 German film. The scale of this film is daunting, especially given the time period it was created. An awe inspiring film.

In hindsight, kinda reminds of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, both strange films that make you think. Saying I liked either is misleading, but I'll likely watch them again, just because how strange they are. Hmm...haven't seen Rocky Horror in a long while, I should watch that again.

Tinkerbell and the Legend of the Neverbeast. 3/5.

G-rated story. It flows well and is colorful. Definitely aimed at young kids, with no hidden plots or ineudendo (spelling?). They did an impressive job, for modern films, in not even touching most potentially offensive topics. No singing or irritating characters, and no comic relief. No romance or death in this film, just "basically" a film about a girl and her dog, and how that dog impacts her and her friends. A good film to not really watch while painting models or otherwise distracted. Recommended for people with kids, especially people with netflix, as this film is probably not worth buying...

Tinkerbell and the Legend of the Neverbeast. 3/5.

G-rated story. It flows well and is colorful. Definitely aimed at young kids, with no hidden plots or ineudendo (spelling?). They did an impressive job, for modern films, in not even touching most potentially offensive topics. No singing or irritating characters, and no comic relief. No romance or death in this film, just "basically" a film about a girl and her dog, and how that dog impacts her and her friends. A good film to not really watch while painting models or otherwise distracted. Recommended for people with kids, especially people with netflix, as this film is probably not worth buying...

Why?

I mean you have no kids. I have a daughter and have seen this a dozen times. I agree with what you wrote but as a parent I know I wouldn't try to see this unless I had kids.

Lol. I am dying inside since you reviewed this.

Stakeland.- 4/5 different kind of vampire flick. One of my least favorite monsters. I enjoyed this one.

• Like 1

Why?

I mean you have no kids. I have a daughter and have seen this a dozen times. I agree with what you wrote but as a parent I know I wouldn't try to see this unless I had kids.

Lol. I am dying inside since you reviewed this.

Fair question.

Many answers. I'm bored and I have netflix is probably towards the top. I also tend to enjoy animated films, fantasy/sci-fi settings, and find disney to usually make good films even if I'm not in the target audience. I'm sorta killing time, too, so doing things that occupy time and keep my mind from wandering. 

And I didn't hate it. Definitely tolerable. 

I love that you agree with my rating. Nice to be on the same page. Seems like we often disagree, so good to know disagreement isn't an absolute between us. 

Bourne - 9/10 - great overall all movie and my 2nd favorite behind Bourne Identity (this includes Bourne Legacy).

Suicide Squad - liked it better as Assault on Arkham, which I had to immediately watch.

Mechanic Resurrection - 9/10 - for me better than the 1st one, and Tommy Lee Jones steals the movie.

Sausage Party - not sure/10 - some good humor, some plain stupid humor.

War Dogs - 7/10 - based on a true story but seemed a little to over the top.

• Like 1

Assault on Arkham - 7/10

Just watched as a result of PPE bringing it to my attention, thanks mang.  

I didn't enjoy it as much as Flashpoint Paradox, but is the caliber I've come to expect from the DC Animated studio.  I'm with PPE on this, I'm going to recommend AoA over SS.  The Enchantress was a nice way to bridge the supernatural in the DCCU, but the execution was poor.  

• Like 2

Suicide Squad - Meh / 10

I'll watch it again sometime, I'm sure, but overall, it wasn't that great of a movie.  I don't think Leto was as horrible as people complained.  Pretty much a DC movie, for me.

Haven't seen it, but my understanding was that Leto's performance in the film was overshadowed for many people by how horrible he was to his costars while filming. That might be where some of the complaints you heard about came from.

Finished watching the Insurgent Trilogy last night.  6.5/10

Fast-paced enough where I never felt like there was filler and I was waiting for the story to move along.  Entertaining enough to make me want to watch all 3 movies.

Also didn't really feel like the Hunger Games rip off it obviously is..

Hunger games is a rip off of Battle Royale, which is much better and older. Plus the setting makes much more sense since Japan, where Battle Royale is set, already divides itself into districts.