Rate the Last Movie You Saw

The Damned (2013) I'm pretty sure that the lead was cast more for his ability to stand in the rain looking tormented than his actual acting skills. I might have enjoyed this more if I'd been more awake; a pretty good chunk of it is in Spanish, and I wasn't doing a very good job of paying attention to the subtitles. On the other hand, given what the English portion of the dialogue was like, maybe that wouldn't have made anything better.

• Like 1

Without Warning (1980)  5/10 An alien is out hunting humans with flying creature things that chew into you and send out tendrils under your skin... Predates Predator by 7 years too. Typical teenager scifi/slasher schlock. It does have a Larry Storch as a Cub Scout leader a young David Caruso and what makes it bearable is Jack Palance and Martin Landau doing the crazy local townies that know what is up but nobody believes them schtick.

• Like 1

Dracula A.D. 1972: Hilariously bad. This is partly just due to it aging badly. What was edgy and wild and extreme in 1972 is the kind of stuff that my parents were in to. The music is the best example. It's all totally mellow "dad rock", but everyone thinks it's so hardcore. The soundtrack is actually the other major contributor to it being hilariously bad. Jazzy funk does not make good backing music for what are supposed to be dark ominous vampire fight scenes. On the flipside, it is one of the ones with both Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, so their parts are great. Honestly, in a lot of ways, this is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for in my horror movie trawl of the last couple of months. Terrible movie, but a fun watch.

• Like 2

Dead Snow: Dead vs. Red

Fantastic! It's a sequel but that's ok, they show all the good stuff from the first one in the beginning 5 minutes. Then it's just silly zombie splatting for an hour. Clever use and avoidance of tropes. Really surprised me with how much fun it was.

10/10, it isn't Casablanca and doesn't try to be. They knew what kind of movie they were making and nailed it.

Dracula A.D. 1972: Hilariously bad. This is partly just due to it aging badly. What was edgy and wild and extreme in 1972 is the kind of stuff that my parents were in to. The music is the best example. It's all totally mellow "dad rock", but everyone thinks it's so hardcore. The soundtrack is actually the other major contributor to it being hilariously bad. Jazzy funk does not make good backing music for what are supposed to be dark ominous vampire fight scenes. On the flipside, it is one of the ones with both Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, so their parts are great. Honestly, in a lot of ways, this is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for in my horror movie trawl of the last couple of months. Terrible movie, but a fun watch.

Christopher Lee basically snarling his entire dialog is a bonus fun bit of this film.

• Like 1

Magnificent Seven - 9/10 - 1960 version - Not half bad, I love the good old nostalgic spaghetti westerns! Now I'm prepared for the 2016 release.

Watching through the 1960 after seeing the new one. Very much like the ocean's 11 remake situation. Original really good, and the new one really good, with no real way to compare them. Same basic principal and some key likenesses but man what a change tech wise...

• Like 2

Watching through the 1960 after seeing the new one. Very much like the ocean's 11 remake situation. Original really good, and the new one really good, with no real way to compare them. Same basic principal and some key likenesses but man what a change tech wise...

Awesome dude! Don't know when we'll get to see the new one... but we'll get there! hehe

Home 5/10: Films constantly goes back and forth between being horrible and being good. I was entertained enough to finish it, but I definitely won't watch again. I'll also note that I feel the film has very mixed morality - I do not recommend for children, even though this film is definitely meant as a kids film. Just back and forth on everything. You love it, then they do something stupid, or wrong, or horrible, and then switches to a good film again. Half of this film is 10/10, but it's very mixed with a 1/10 film, so 5/10 seems fair. 

Chicken Little 3/10: Bad film with characters you don't really care about and a very lacking plot. I was not entertained enough to finish this one, gave it a good half hour and was not endeared enough at that point to keep watching. I would rate it lower, but I've seen much worse films before, so 3/10 is fair as I wasn't offended or horrified (In a bad way) by the film, just bored and disinterested. 

Awesome dude! Don't know when we'll get to see the new one... but we'll get there! hehe

Final decision, new one is better on the magnificent seven front. We prefer our bad guys bad. The original has some very intriguing choices in it both in the upper echelons of grading scale.

On related note we prefer the original rat pack ocean's eleven to the remake by a slim margin.

• Like 3

Magnificent Seven - 9/10 - 1960 version - Not half bad, I love the good old nostalgic spaghetti westerns! Now I'm prepared for the 2016 release.

Now you have to watch the (far superior) movie upon which the Magnificent Seven was based ... The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa's masterpiece, IMO). I love the back-and-forth that happened between Samurai and Western filmmakers during that time period.

• Like 4

Now you have to watch the (far superior) movie upon which the Magnificent Seven was based ... The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa's masterpiece, IMO). I love the back-and-forth that happened between Samurai and Western filmmakers during that time period.

Yes! That IS the plan!

Pumpkinhead is hunting it down... though we're unsure with 2 kids how we'll find time to watch all 3 hours at one sitting... may have to split it up

• Like 1

The Core: That was pretty terrible. The science was as bad as the "Oxygen Destroyer" from the original Godzilla, but without the excuse of having been written in 1954, and I think most of the computer hacking scenes were just re-use of stuff that got cut from Hackers. Most of the dialogue and acting were about on par, too. The only real light in the darkness is Stanley Tucci. Even he couldn't actually save this trainwreck of a film, but he was at least aware that his role was terrible, and made it entertainingly so. All that said, there was some cool visual spectacle, and as something to have on in the background while I wrote up a tournament report, it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to get up and turn it off.

EDIT: I should probably mention that that last bit isn't just an entirely random bit of damning with faint praise. I've actually had a flick (Visions) fail to clear that very low bar recently.

• Like 1