Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Spectral: 3/5.

Netflix film. Basically, Pro-military action movie about US army vs science based ghosts. Honestly, they did a very good job, despite no subplots, limited dialogue, and the classic cliche living people vs computer animated enemies.

Film was probably one of the better pure action movies I've seen in a while, but that doesn't mean a pure action movie equals a good film. By pure action, I just mean that they really didn't attempt to make it about any other genre - every scene is them fighting, or getting ready to fight something, they don't really talk to each other much, and what is said is brief and resolves quickly.

Film's generic plot is very similar, in my opinion, to The 13th Warrior. That film, for the record, is an easy 4/5 in my book, so it's definitely a better film.

Nice. I'd been wondering about that one, and that sounds like something I might want to have on in the background some evening.

You might enjoy it enough to watch it, once, without something in the background. My personal, screwy rating system gives a 3/5 to a mediocre film that you'd watch a again, or a good film that you won't watch again. I don't plan on watching this one again, which is why it's a 3/5 in my book, and why 13th Warrior is a 4/5 (because I've watched it many times).  

House of Wax: Pretty mediocre run of the mill slasher flick. The setting of the House itself was pretty cool, tho. The true horror is in the soundtrack. 2005 was not a good year for musical taste.

You should see the Vincent Price one. Much better film even with the few 3D gimmick scenes. Also the original with Lionel Atwill is good stuff.

• Like 1

Rogue One. Easily in my top 3 Star Wars films with New Hope and Empire. Can't decide if it tops out New Hope. A different kind of Star Wars movie, for sure. This isn't a campy story of great heroes. It's a grittier, boots-on-the-ground film. K2S0 is the best droid in the SW universe, bar none. Rogue One was not only a good movie on its own; it also served to make the other movies in the original trilogy better. Loved it.

• Like 5

Hateful 8: long ass movie, but surprisingly paced well. I would almost call the outdoor shots wasted to some degree, but they did help with the conveyance of how bad the blizzard was. and Q really needs to back off on the language. Just isn't needed for good story telling. Overall, glad I saw it, even gladder I didn't see it in a theatre.

• Like 3

Rogue One: Definitely a good time. I found the soundtrack a little flat, the open was just not quite the same without John Williams. There were certainly a few Cliche's and continuity issues (with Ep 4, not with itself) that could have been improved a bit, but nothing that seriously detracted from the overall experience.

• Like 3

Spectral. About how I thought it would be. Some vibe back to old-school action movies, where the plot is basically just an excuse for explosions. ScienceFail isn't quite as bad as The Core, but it honestly probably would have had fewer inaccuracies if they'd just said "They're @#$%ing ghosts!" ;) Still a fun watch, and like I said, lots of explosions and stuff.

• Like 1

"Handwavium" was actually more the case here ;)

EDIT: To expand, the Bose-Einstein Condensate is an actual phase of matter, and does posses properties that could be described in similar terms to what's used in the movie. But getting the effects that occur in the movie requires taking those terms in an extremely loose sense, rather than the tight technical sense they were used in in the descriptions of BEC that the filmmakers were inspired by.