Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Suicide Squad - 4.5/5 - Wife & I liked it, thought it was well done. Though I totally see what Bro G's going saying... Maybe they did that to get you to love them more... despite the point is to love how evil they are...

Star Trek Beyond - 4.5/5 - We enjoyed the movie. A great "Star Trek" movie. Loved the cameo as well

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post a few of my recent watches.

What We Do in the Shadows. Vampire Mockumentary. Follows a group of vamps sharing a house in Wellington NZ over the course of a few months. Hit or miss, but the hits are great.

Zoombies. Zombie virus that somehow can infect any animal except humans breaks out in a wildlife refuge. Terrible production values, mediocre acting, and plot holes all over the place. But if you can overlook that, it's actually surprisingly fun. Watched it one evening when it was too hot for me to pay attention to anything even remotely serious and it was perfect for that.

Dead Snow. Great concept, but I couldn't stand most of the characters, and my least favorite of them ended up being the last one left alive.

Sharknado: Makes Snakes on a Plane look like Oscar-worthy. Just terrible all around, including reinforcing a bunch of misinformation about sharks and shark attacks.

The Taking of Deborah Logan: Much better and creepier than I expected. Really glad I didn't watch this while I was taking care of my grandmother while she was going downhill with Alzheimer's.

Just watched Harbinger Down. Really quite good for something that was made on a $384,000 budget from a Kickstarter. It helped that Lance Henrickson apparently agreed to work for peanuts and the producers were also the special effects studio, and worked for free on the effects. Speaking of which, those are in many ways the real draw here. All practical effects, CGI was only used for compositing and removing wires/rods from the puppets. Think of it as a fan film tribute to stuff like The Thing and the first Alien flick, and it'll probably be pretty enjoyable.

Checked out Hardcore Henry on Redbox.

Simply superb.

It's less storytelling and more moving art. It's all shot first person, the plot is both simple and engaging, haven't hated a badguy so much since Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2. Once you wrap your head around what you're about to experience it's quite the ride. Almost non-stop action but the breaks are subtle and well done.

5/5

I don't toss around 5 star reviews willy-nilly. I really thought it was fantastic fun and the wife did too.

• Like 3

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Checked out Hardcore Henry on Redbox.

Simply superb.

It's less storytelling and more moving art. It's all shot first person, the plot is both simple and engaging, haven't hated a badguy so much since Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2. Once you wrap your head around what you're about to experience it's quite the ride. Almost non-stop action but the breaks are subtle and well done.

5/5

I don't toss around 5 star reviews willy-nilly. I really thought it was fantastic fun and the wife did too.

I don't know how to rate. Jimmy was amazing. Loved his character. Perfect adaptation of what a first person action game feels like, all they way down to the plot and plot twists.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was impossible to peel my eyes away. Great sound track and sound effects.

District 9 - 7.5/10

Alien ship "lands" in Africa, makes no contact.  Humans crack open the ship and find a bunch of dying Syrians looking for aid.  I mean, bug like insects looking for aid.  Highlarity ensues as Humans keep being.   

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one.  I was really enjoying it, but the end was bothersome.  I wish they would've kept the mockumentary going the entire time, without showing "non-camera footage" of events.  Although, then it's akin to Blairwitch or 4th Kind.  It wasn't the scripting or plot that I disliked, it was how they chose to unveil it.  I could see watching it again.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Edge Of Tomorrow : 7/10 : Better than expected as Tom Cruise usually makes me go meh. I stumbled on All You Need Is Kill at the library and read through that in a day so I had the source material fresh in mind when watching it. They did a very good job of adapting the story to a western audience though I was a bit disappointed with the hollywood it all works out happy ending compared to the melancholy the war goes on but we know we can win of the book. Also I was disappointed he didn't take up using the axe like in the book as the reason the Full Metal Bitch uses it is because it won't run out of ammo like the standard close combat equipment and our hero realizes that it is a very effective solution to that problem.

• Like 3

CA - Civil War - 7/10 - watched it again at home now that I have the blu-ray. It pains me to only give it a 7, because I truly do like the movie. The main reason for the seven is because of the plot holes. Now typically for these types of movies, I can just go with it. But this time there were some blatant glaring ones that I could not get past.

1) - why is there a video camera at the exact spot where Winter Solider kills the Starks? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Especially for a "no witnesses" kind of mission.
2) - The whole "Avengers bad because people died" was just lame. They stopped two world ending events that were basically started because the US didn't leave the cube at the bottom of the ocean.
3) - How does Zemo find out about the Stark mission? He says it was from the decrypted Hydra secrets...but yet he has to go through this whole elaborate plan to get Bucky to find the installation? Was it for the tape? So they kept the tape at the installation but not the red book?
Just too many holes and not enough links.

The actors, the action, the jokes, and the storytelling...I all loved. I just wished they had filled some of those gaps a bit better.

• Like 1

CA - Civil War 

With as often as the comics were retconned, I try to be forgiving of plot holes and stuff in the films, too.

And then there is Catwoman.  That was just....bad.

Death of Superman Lives! - 4/5

Documentary exposing the sad, pathetic lives of Hollywood elite.  It's a shame the movie was never made, sooo many neat concepts.  

• Like 1