Allies poll - would loss of allies deter you from an event?

Brother Glacius

OFCC and Allies optional rule  

41 members have voted

1. 1. If the OFCC disallowed allies...

• I would still attend and would have no impact on my list
    • I would attend, but would have to make modifications to my list
    • I would have to consider not attending due to the loss
    • I would not attend even though it would not effect my list
    • I would not attend because it would affect my list

I am throwing out the suggestion to the powers that be to remove Allies from the OFCC. It is an optional rule and I think it would make the Captains' job easier when judging list strength and making good match ups. Considering that the OFCC is an event as opposed to a tournament, and it has a history of being a less competitive environment, it seems to make sense. If you are planning on attending the 40K OFCC, please answer the poll.

generally speaking, rules don't generally, there are some exceptions, stop me from going to an event.  It's the timing that those rules are delivered to me that stops me from going to an event.  If I want to go to an event and I am given all the rules up front, I make peace with those rules, whatever they may be.  Events that release rules and scenarios a few weeks before the event....now that burns my grits....

so allies or no allies, I care not.  That's not why I go to OFCC.  I go to OFCC to grow community and see friends.  

• Like 1

I think this poll/question is short sided. I doubt very many people will not attend OFCC because of a ruling like that but I do not think it is a good decision. I am really looking forward to seeing the armies at OFCC this year BECAUSE of Allies. I can not wait to see the brilliance the participants come up with modeling and painting wise to make a cohesive looking army. I do not feel Allies throw things that out of whack that we have to start the comp discussion 9 months prior to the event. 

If I may ask....what is it about Allies that has you worried they will ruin the spirit of OFCC for you? (and please do not take this as me attacking your stance or opinion....I recognize that you and I are on opposite ends of this spectrum and I am really curious as to what your fear or fears about Allies at OFCC are...maybe you will bring up points I have not seen or thought of)

Allies are fine. Removing them just means that people without outdated books will suffer by a larger margin. It would certainly disrupt my army and I would not come. It also seems like a restriction just to have one, as I remain unclear as to why you'd want to remove the allies...?

The only exception here would be if you intended the OFCC as a doubles event, in which case it does seem redundant to include so many different armies in a single game.

On a related note, looking for a team for this year. Any takers?

As for allies in general, I actually find the allied detachment to be very balanced. The allegiance levels, that is a headache. Would be so much easier from a TO perspective to say that all armies are allies of convenience to all other armies. Still, I like them as they are.

-Pax

Allies are now the rule of the game and should not be removed. It wouldn't affect me much so I voted the second option.

But remember the OFCC team knows all about the 'Tau for every list' or every other heavily used power combos that defy fluff. So expect Taudar and other high powered lists being asked to be toned down. OFCC lists are not just a free for all and the players that come know this.

And lets face it, CSM needs their Demons and renegade IG ally to be fair. And DA also needs their IG support if they are not running a straight Ravenwing list.

Allies will be there, and the list judges are watching too.

• Like 1

I would vastly prefer to see Allies in. They expand the scope of the Game so much, in terms of both Rules and Fluff/Modeling. As a Captain last year, I didn't find Allies to be a problem when working out matchups, and, actually, it was one of the smoothest years I can remember in terms of making matchups.

At the moment, most of the Lists I'm considering for this year don't involve Allies, but with IG, Orks, and SW all theoretically coming out between now and then, that may well change.

Murphy's Lawyer makes an excellent point about the LRC, too.

• Like 1

@Ando, the intent of the poll was not to determine if allies were desired. It was assumed they would be in.

@pro-allies people, Allies is an optional rule for 40K. I'll repeat...Allies is an optional rule in 40K. Just like fortifications and Lords of War. Are both of those allowed in the OFCC? Will we see stompas and baneblades on the table? My point being, once you allow one optional rule in, where does it stop? I would think that it would be far simpler to manage lists and match ups when you don't have to deal with them.

My observance of allies being used in 40K has been to plug weaknesses in a list, or to create synergies otherwise unattainable by a single codex list. As the OFCC is more of a "fun" over "win" style event, this would coincide with that philosophy.

I have nothing against allies. If my friend and I were setting up a game and spoke about it ahead of time, then I'm fine with them being used.

But if I'm organizing an event, I would look at all optional rules to determine if they should be in it or not. I think the cons against allies is that they allow a specific army to negate built in weaknesses and allow for stronger lists. The pros for allies is that it creates more army options for players. My opinion is that for the OFCC, I'd rather not have allies as I think their cons outweigh the pros in that specific setting.

@pro-allies people, Allies is an optional rule for 40K. I'll repeat...Allies is an optional rule in 40K. Just like fortifications and Lords of War. Are both of those allowed in the OFCC? Will we see stompas and baneblades on the table? My point being, once you allow one optional rule in, where does it stop? I would think that it would be far simpler to manage lists and match ups when you don't have to deal with them.

You can repeat it, but that does not make it true. Allies and Fortifications are 'Optional' to take (ie not mandatory, like the Primary Detachment) not "Optional Rules". Same with Lords of War technically, but that is argued since it isn't in the big book and has its own. The only place you will see Allies and Fortification as 'Optional' is in the brackets in the Force Organisation Chart on pg 109, where the Primary is bracketed as "Required". That same chart also lists all other non-compulsory choices as "Optional". The rules for Allies and Fortifications are not in some appendix, they are right there in "Choosing Your Army".

That said, an event can make any silly restriction they want (Only Compulsory slots allowed!!), as long as they are transparent about it.

• Like 2

What you list as a con (filling in weaknesses), I see as a pro. Allies let otherwise non-viable builds* get support from better Dexes, opening up more options and more more representation from weaker and more outdated Dexes. Individually, I feel like both Space Wolves and Imperial Guard are getting questionable at this point, but together, they're great.

*Except for Nids of course :P

To me, OFCC has always represented the ideas of the TO of that year and the community that shows up. I kicked some ass (once!) And got my ass kicked (many times) the two years I have been. The PEOPLE THERE, not the armies, always dictated how much fun I had.

Bring what you want. Have a kick ass time. I havent found another event that delivers what OFCC has year after year.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Comp is touchy I don't think comp on a core mechanic should take place. Dataslates and formations I can see needing to be reviewed. Comping certain ally interactions is understandable. I agree th people is what draws a person to ofcc. Sportsmanship and good times get rewarded more than cheese.

I would highly consider playing Fantasy, because I am already torn... That said, I am itching to play my Guard, and they will likely have a new dex.

I would like to see them left in, but lists should be restricted more than last year. I was tired of seeing riptides and helldrakes (plural), paired with other rock hard things from other lists.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I voted based on an event not specifically OFCC. The big rule book has allies in the choosing forces section. I don't use allies. And won't but I would not support an event that eliminates them I like seeing most allies and I would prefer to put a hurt on those lists and peer pressure by showing those players a good time then exclude them. Join the other side you catch more with honey than vinegar and all that.

Also I'm running sentinels of terra right now so who am I to judge. :)

All that said I'd come to ofcc regardless of restrictions given time to prepare.

Allies, Escalation, Stronghold Assault and Dataslates are not optional. They are part of the rules of 40k. If TO's want to restrict them that's fine as long as players know well ahead of time. Personally I think 40k tournaments should now be in two separate categories, Open events in which every thing is allowed and Standard events in which allies and certain dataslates are allowed.

Also I'm kinda new to this forum so I have no idea what the OFCC is.

I think these really depend on your local groups. Up here in Seattle pretty much everyone has Forge World, and I am sure once people start buying Super Heavies they will be pretty common. The next big book will have super heavies, no doubt. I say let the meta change, its constantly flowing, that is how GW makes money, if it wasnt then people would just use their list from 5 years ago, and never buy anything new. It's a game, if someone wants to buy a warhound, I'll play them any day. Heck that thing deserves to be showed off, and I'll paint a list to beat it.  

Also I'm kinda new to this forum so I have no idea what the OFCC is.
It's a hardcore tourney. At the top tables it's 40ka for "pinks", winner takes the loser's army home. Traditionally the winner keeps the defeated general and gives the army back. Last year the winner smashed his opponents army to pieces with a hammer, right in front of the former owner!..........Nah it's a laid back tourney focusing mainly on enjoying the gameside (never been, just an outsider's observation) The interesting thing is the ruling board looks at everyones list and rates the difficulty before the event. The crazy strong lists get told to tone it down. This is what puzzles me about Bro G's question. What's your the point about worrying about the crazy strong ally possibilities in a tourney with rated lists?
  • Like 4

Ofcc is a large tournament (40k and fantasy) held yearly in the pacific northwest. It is amazing because players show up to have fun and hang out with old friends/ogle some really awesome painted armies, rather than beat face :p. If you have a chance to attend I'd highly recommend it.

As to the original post:

I'd be fine without allies. I think the game had a bit more flavor before all the lists became hybrids able to deal with any situation, but that's mostly likely my nostalgia talking :p

That being said:

Removing them now after they've become a part of many peoples armies would most likely be extremely difficult, not to mention off putting to the removee's.

I do see the need to tone things down and maintain some sort of balance (looking at you escalation), but ofcc is a unique event. They (generally) have good mechanisms in place to keep the cheese at bay :)