Discussion: Points for 40K at OFCC

evil_bryan

Just a note regarding lists. In my experience, the argument regarding 1500 or 1850pt lists having less fat is correct, but it also puts quite a strain on the weaker armies. I've noticed that the broken armies don't really become more broken at higher points, while I think the weak armies have better odds at higher points. Perhaps weaker armies are just better with more fat.

That said, I totally appreciate the idea of less points, just because it is true that people often struggle to make their army finished on time. 

My preferrence would be to go even smaller and have more rounds. More rounds means more exposure to more players. So, I vote for 1500 or even 1000 points, but add a 6th round, with 2 hour rounds. A 1000 point matchup would work best in this matchup. There is an added benefit to this approach--it eliminates most of the hyper cheese lists (gladius, war con, etc) that cannot fill their requirements to get their command benefits.

And here I was going to suggest fewer games to allow more time... I'm always torn on the trip there are some touristy things I'd like to do. I think it would be awesome to have a big long game then a long dinner/lunch break then be back for a late night game then a single game Sunday but 5 games is cool too.

My vote is 2k as any less really limits tools to make up for those silly choices and makes matchup much more important... With win loss matching multiple tools is really the way to go.

• Like 1

And here I was going to suggest fewer games to allow more time... I'm always torn on the trip there are some touristy things I'd like to do. I think it would be awesome to have a big long game then a long dinner/lunch break then be back for a late night game then a single game Sunday but 5 games is cool too..

See, I think we should have one of these events during the night, like 10pm-6am, rather than during in the day. Would be cooler anyway, since we always do them in summer. Then you could go for vacation or do whatever during, then play 40k. No wasted time.

This is a big event for some people that have to travel great distances to play. 2000pts is a way to bring all the toys you want and have fun. I come to the OFCC because it is fun. Do my games at OFCC always make it to turn five or beyond? No, but as long as my opponent and I are having fun who cares? If it wasn't for the OFCC I would have never bought, built and painted my stompa. You have room for that cool, fun model in a 2000pt list.

I'm sure I would have fun playing smaller games, but smaller games limit your choices. So if your goal is to have fun why limit yourself?

• Like 1

Just a note regarding lists. In my experience, the argument regarding 1500 or 1850pt lists having less fat is correct, but it also puts quite a strain on the weaker armies. I've noticed that the broken armies don't really become more broken at higher points, while I think the weak armies have better odds at higher points. Perhaps weaker armies are just better with more fat.

I think it depends a lot on the army in particular; some 1850 lists can pretty easily be trimmed down to 1500 without losing anything fundamental, whereas others have to completely re-evaluate how they are built. There isn't a universal standard of how armies scale because all armies are different.

See, I think we should have one of these events during the night, like 10pm-6am, rather than during in the day. Would be cooler anyway, since we always do them in summer. Then you could go for vacation or do whatever during, then play 40k. No wasted time.

As someone who works graveyards anyways, I would love this. However, I don't imagine that you would easily be able to gather enough folks to make it worth anyone's while.

• Like 3

I would also be totally down for an overnight event at some point. I'm not working night shifts anymore, but I'm more or less nocturnal by nature.

As far as the Points Level is concerned, I must admit that I have also built an Army for this year at 2K already. More specifically, one that's designed to be able to play quickly enough to not only finish on time, but leave me some more time to actually get to hang out and stuff. That said, I would also be down with a drop to 1500 or something. I've been playing a lot of 1250 and 1500 over the last couple of years, and I really do like playing at lower Points Levels like that. It doesn't remove the cheese or anything, but it definitely makes the Games more manageable.

The pros and cons of 2000 points have already been pointed out (no pun intended!) pretty clearly so far, so I won't add to that. I'll just add in my vote of I really like being able to not only have a list with some effectiveness but enough points left over to have some fun toys thrown in too just to have. So my vote's for 2k :)

• Like 2

I don't advocate for one points limit vs another. 1500 is fun. I like 1500 points. But not all armies work best here.

But I will let you know from my perspective to see if it helps with decisions.

If you want my opinion, I'd say anywhere between 1650 to 1850. This allows a good price range to showcase the "best" your army can field. 2-3 showcase units and whatever else you want to try out for fun. For me, its Lost Brotherhood Strike force and maybe an Orbital insertion force. This also is about where you can squeeze in our type of decurion using bare minimum squad size.

Just my 2 cents. BA are in a weird spot for a marine army so we suffer a bit at 1500. We don't get nearly the free rules other marines do so we end up having to play for other reasons than to win.

Personally, I typically don't have difficultly with finishing a 2k game in the time allotted unless my opponent is either late or just playing slowly. Most of the time at OFCC, I finish my games about thirty minutes early. However, I tend to play very quickly and I realize that this is not the case for everyone.

While I would like to see the points level remain at 2k, I would not be opposed to lowering the level. I totally see the benefits of giving everyone some extra wiggle room on each round, especially because it allows for additional trips to the bar without slowing things down.

If the points are to be set below 2000, I would recommend 1750 because I believe it is the best balance of creating a more time efficient game while still allowing players to take the units they love oh so very much.

Reducing the points by 250 can significantly affect game time! Think about it: that's one less Bloodthirster, Land Raider, Terminator squad, or other point sink unit that you have to resolve shooting and combat with as well as one less unit that you have to kill. On the other hand, having the points level at 1750 means that players can take an extra Bloodthirster, Land Raider, etc. over a 1500 point list. So I believer you get the best of both worlds!

Plus, that's one less Bloodthirster that I have to paint before July :P

I don't need to state much because it's all been said but my team has been buying/building at the 2k level. I know I can trim down to 1500-1850 but they will have issues. The sooner we figure this out though, the quicker we can all get our lists in order. Some of us have stuff to build and paint ;p

I can tell you that this will be decided in the next day or two :)

• Like 3

When did point levels dictate your level of fun?

Never.  And I know that not finishing games is usually the opposite of fun for someone at the table.  I mean if we do the Ben Franklin thing I dont think that putting "becauseI dont want to have to" can really be considered a good contender for the CON side of the argument on whether it should be lower than 2K.  Hehehe