Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Trolls - ?/10 - The rating all depends on how high you are. For the kids they loved the bright colors and the songs. They also loved the crazy little creatures. It caught me off guard to hear "Sound of Silence" in the movie.  Nothing like singing about suicide in a kids movie, of course in an upbeat, fun, bright exciting way...

• Like 3

John Wick 2 (9.75/10) - GO SEE IT NOW!!!  If you like/love the old John Woo movies from the 90s or just a fun of fast paced Gun-Fu this is a great film.  I enjoyed it more than the first and loved the first one.  The sommelier scene alone makes this movie worth the admission.  Best film I have seen in a while (I'm including the last Star Wars film) for me.

Lego Batman (7/10) - fun kid film with some in adult jokes.  Not as good as the first lego film, but definitely had some high points.  The family enjoyed it.

• Like 3

Trolls - ?/10 - The rating all depends on how high you are. For the kids they loved the bright colors and the songs. They also loved the crazy little creatures. It caught me off guard to hear "Sound of Silence" in the movie. Nothing like singing about suicide in a kids movie, of course in an upbeat, fun, bright exciting way...

You can thank Justin Timberlake for that, he envisioned and executed the whole soundtrack. This explains its wonderful cadence, pacing, and awesomeness alongside some really poor choice in songs/lyrics for a kids movie.

We own it (wife loves it) and so as I've seen it 4 times now on loop I'm more and more convinced it is for nineties kids seriously they are the only ones that remember trolls toys... Yes I had some.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2017 at 9:19 PM, WestRider said:

Howard the Duck.

I paid money to see that in the theater opening night.

In movies I have actually seen lately.

I finally got about to seeing John Wick. Formulaic but a good take on it with excellent gunfight choreography and good cinematography and Keanu was good in the role.

What We Do In The Shadows was way more fun that I expected it to be.

And finally The H-Man. Nuclear mutant slime people are attacking the Tokyo underworld (not sure why they are only attacking one gang but hey go with it) directed by Inshiro Honda. What is not to love about this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tombking said:

I finally got about to seeing John Wick. Formulaic but a good take on it with excellent gunfight choreography and good cinematography and Keanu was good in the role.

What We Do In The Shadows was way more fun that I expected it to be.

That was about my take on John Wick as well.

And yeah, What We Do in the Shadows is hilarious. The same director is doing the next Thor movie, which has me really excited for it :D

• Like 2

Saw two movies on a plane recently.

1. The accountant:  WOW how did I miss this movie. Great action, good acting and interesting twists (that are telegraphed early), but still fun.  7/10

2. Independence day - resurgence:  Went into it expecting crap and was surprised on how much I enjoyed it.  Definitely not high art, but was campy and fun.  4/10

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burk said:

Saw two movies on a plane recently.

2. Independence day - resurgence:  Went into it expecting crap and was surprised on how much I enjoyed it.  Definitely not high art, but was campy and fun.  4/10

So true,  good movie but not epic.  Suffers based on how good the original was just doesn't resonate the same

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

The Great Wall - 9/10 - the Asian artistry was amazing.
     Not sure why whitey needed to be the hero of the movie, other than the Chinese teaching whitey a lesson.

Loved the choreography of it.

Because Hollywood marketers think that people won't watch anything without a white dude at the center of it. I know it was marketed very differently in Asia, and I think it might even have been a different edit that shifted the focus a bit.

• Like 3

On February 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM, WestRider said:

Because Hollywood marketers think that people won't watch anything without a white dude at the center of it. I know it was marketed very differently in Asia, and I think it might even have been a different edit that shifted the focus a bit.

That. Plus most films set in a fictional setting end up needing a newb/foreigner/stupid character to ask the questions that everyone else in the setting knows the answer to, but the audience needs to hear it aloud to understand the setting. 

Ever watch the 13th warrior? Great film. Protagonist is the foreigner, an arabian diplomat sent to the vikings. He asks the questions that the vikings wouldn't ask, because all of them know the answers, and in asking, the audience learns about the setting and further enjoys the film.

11 minutes ago, andy said:

Kong: Skull Island. A fun but essentially mindless pulp adventure. It's like watching a Hollow-Earth roleplaying game scenario. If you can turn off your brain, 7/10. If not... a lot less than that.

You get bonus points for mentioning the Hollow Earth RPG :)

Logan...dark and gritty.  Excellent movie, it is too bad they didn't go this more serious route with Wolverine from the beginning.

Arrival (viewing #2).  So, took my wife to this last night as she hadn't seen it.  This movie improves with a second viewing...and it was awesome the first time around.  Definitely see it a second time if you haven't yet (and obviously liked it the first time).

• Like 4

John Wick (2014). Maybe 7/10. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing really outstanding either. I watched the whole thing, and didn't really love or hate it. Most films will leave more of an impression on me, so kinda impressive that it didn't. The whole film was straight forward, with no surprises, or notable acting, or notable dialoge, or anything really notable for good or bad. Violence was very neutral, as despite near constant combat, there wasn't really anything notable about the combat. The guy is trying to go somewhere, some guys get in the way, they die quickly, and he progresses. No morality at all, both in filming and acting, very detached from emotion.  

I suppose the only real notable feature was how the protagonist doesn't kill women, or children, or police, or "innocents". If they have weapons, or they fight back, he kills them quickly, but no one else. No real torture or cruelty, just kills them and moves on. Minimal explosions. No excessive blood either. Most films of this sort would have something here that makes the film more notable (in a bad way, usually). Very strange film in this respect. Nothing else worthy of note. Not really surprised that I didn't hear about this one until they released a sequel.