3d Printer User's Group

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Damunky said:

I have one of those coming soon 

I cant wait. I am about 2 months out from getting mine but damn...its a resin terrain maker for $400!!! Its going to be so good for display boards and such since I have no skills at scratch building terrain. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, Kelharis said:

I've been telling my wife not to get me anything for birthdays and fathers days to save up "credit" for a resin 3d printer. Hoping it will be a Saturn when they become available late this year. Meanwhile I've been collecting stls like crazy.

Good move. Don't forget the extra supplies you will need

I’ve been extremely happy with my Flashforge Adventurer 3. Incredibly easy to use, quiet to operate, and extremely easy to set up... But it’s on the expensive side for an FDM printer. Plus the usual trade-off of FDM versus Resin of not being the same level of quality.

4 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about getting myself a printer. Money is a factor, but so is easy of use. I don't think I'll be using it to make models per se, but terrain and movement trays will definitely be on the list. Just looking for some current advice.

Ender 3 is a good beginners 3d printer but you have to level it often and there are some things to take care of. You may want one with Auto Leveling included. 

It is overall cheaper than Resin Printers but once I get my Elegoo Saturn.....Resin Terrain will be mine!

• 4 weeks later...

Filament - where does everyone get supplies?  I have a few spools I had picked up - and I have ordered some direct from Prusa when I picked up the printer.  But now I am running low and am looking for options.  I am considering Amazon - and I had thought my local Fry's (wilsonville) had a decent supply - but yesterday I found their shelves bare.

Brands, suppliers... suggestions welcome

-d

I just order mine on Amazon. The only problem I run into is that I’ve twice now ordered ABS instead of PLA...

I mean, sure, the item name and the product description clearly says ABS, but, y’know, that’s clearly not accurately conveying the information.

• Haha 2

Amazon. Only problem is finding a filament you like that's consistently available; right now, everyone and their dog is printing up PPE for hospitals and the like. Don't get me wrong, go makers, but it's making it hard for us hobbyists to keep up.

EDIT: I just discovered this one this morning. I'm going to order my next spool through them, and see how it is; if it's good stuff, then I'll just go with them.

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/c/mh-build-series-pla?utm_source=MatterHackers+Newsletter&utm_campaign=fd483e50b8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_30_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dccd3cdce8-fd483e50b8-128194651

• Like 1

Any opinions on this guy?

Not shooting for anything big, mostly heads/guns/bits. I think I'm locked into resin vs filament but not 100%. More interested in adding things to existing things than making whole things...if that makes sense;)

https://www.amazon.com/ANYCUBIC-Assembled-Innovation-Off-line-Printing/dp/B07TVW9HGH/ref=aw_pd_cart_vw_crc_3_2/131-2231581-3186567?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07TVW9HGH&pd_rd_r=f7418202-128b-40bc-bcb8-563ffe4969b4&pd_rd_w=sUhI9&pd_rd_wg=9JROz&pf_rd_p=1d4b8457-b5e1-40c5-929e-bfdeb5d7826e&pf_rd_r=ZZDW9ADTKET934PF08FD&psc=1&refRID=ZZDW9ADTKET934PF08FD

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, question for the hive mind. Those who have used resin and FDM printers, which is more reliable? I have an Ender 3, which is a great little printer, but I'm getting really tired of having to mess around with it and dial it in every time I get a fresh roll of filament. I can get a Photon for $170, and if I had to, I could bodge together a vent system to barf the fumes out the window. Is a resin printer going to require less messing with to get it to work right?