40K 9th ed

KennyD76

The Adeptus Custodes Contemptor-Exemplar Dreadnought never even made it to Legends. It’s just... gone. Which is really weird, since the Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought kit was explicitly designed to be built as either unit (it’s basically just an Achillus without the spear).

Mind you, the Exemplar really didn’t seem to serve much purpose. It was better in mêlée against very heavy targets than the Achillus- or Galatus-patterns, but total overkill against lighter targets (and by Custodes standards, “lighter targets” means anything less than a Leman Russ); But the Galatus was far more durable and the Achillus has some actual ranged punch. A double-fisted Telemon did the same thing the Exemplar did in mêlée, but better, and had better shooting...

The Sisters of Silence seem to have lost the one FW unit they had in WH40k, the Dune-tastic Kharon Pattern Acquistor grav tank. Which is a damn shame, as it’s just so damn sexy. Then there’s the raft of units that they have in 30k that never got ported over to 40k: a generic HQ, a command squad equivalent, a named special character, an veterans squad equivalent, etc. (Oh, and the Sisters seem to have misplaced all their bolt pistols during the last ten millennia.)

So, you all remember how I said I was considering maybe getting some Orks in the future. Well...

B14428CF-066E-4460-83FC-FA26067D8B50.jpeg

This wonderful, if incomplete, bit of madness was for sale over at Dice Age Games. It followed me home. I promise to love it, an’ feed it, an’ teach it to be a good tank.

F6D1E51B-754D-40C8-A707-56D03CFDADDC.thumb.jpeg.d892cc3910160ef6ef8615105cc4e48b.jpeg

Here’s a close up of the deffrolla, which really raises and lowers on those piston arms and is covered in absolutely oodles of rivets.

The big honkin’ gun isn’t attached to anything and the upper half of the bastion isn’t glued down. The previous owner had all sorts of plans for it, but now it’s MINE! ALL MINE!

• Like 3

I think GW’s just desperately trying to give Reivers something to do.  

They kinda painted themselves into a corner on this one... Initially, Reivers made sense as the scouting, infiltrating, light assault counterparts to the Intercessors. They had lackluster rules (GW doesn’t seem to realize how Leadership works in their own game) but they at least had a purpose.

Then GW created Infiltrators and Eliminators... Which worked far better as scouts than the Reivers. Then came the Assault Intercessors.

Making Reivers into an specialized assassination squad gives them a purpose. Although, I question how good they’d be at it. Most psykers are HQ level special characters that can probably handle a small squad of Space Marines by themselves and will likely have bodyguard units (e.g., SM Librarians, CSM Sorcerers, Eldar Farseers) or are dirt cheap buff/debuff batteries that really any Space Marine unit should have zero issues killing (e.g., Primaris Psykers).

• Like 1

Nothing so far. Although knowing GW, they probably have at least one or two more planned. There isn’t anything in the DW or SW box that can’t be used with other Chapters, of course, but I still expect to see at least one Combat Patrol box with the neutral, non-Chapter specific “Space Marines” name on it... Probably a repacking of the Dark Imperium kits.

I also expect to see the current Start Collecting boxes becoming scarce as GW no doubt has (or soon will) stop producing them in order to free up shelf space for the new sets.

For sure, the boxes need to have different contents, because they can be used with any army. I was watching a youtube video about the value of the contents. Both the SW and DW boxes are 48% off retail. If you ignore the presence of the chapter upgrade sprues, they are 28% off retail. That's pretty strong. I am looking for Dark Angels bits, so I'm hoping to get that sweet 48% value, but I can settle for less if the contents of a box is 100% must-have. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blackvigil said:

With the new Combat Patrol boxes replacing the Start Collecting, I am wondering if they will be coming out with one for all of the marine supplement dexes. SW and DW got one. Seems logical for DA and BA to get them as well when their books come out. Has anyone heard anything about that?

It is likely that they will.