Tempting Kickstarters

dkieft

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/electi-studio/mike-hutchinsons-hobgoblin/description

I posted about the beta rules for this a while ago.  Mike Hutchinson is the designer who created Gaslands.  Well this is his bring your own models and have a relatively quick game Fantasy Battle ruleset. The kickstarter page also has a link to a "quick start" version of the rules.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, Ish said:

My Star Schlock Kickstarter arrived today! 

We’re now in the closing hours of the second Star Schlock kickstarter. This time, there’s Space Apes from the madhouse world of Simian VII and the brave Explorer Corps boldly going where cheesy 70’s and 80’s sci-fi went before.

I still haven’t painted the bevy of figures I got from the previous kickstarter, which skewed more towards 50’s/60’s sci-fi… But one day I’ll get to them. There’s going to be an actual Star Schlock game this time around, which looks pretty cool. But even if I only ever use this figures for RPGs or Stargrave or whatever.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

do you want to get into 3d printing?  lol... it is a fairly involved "hobby" lol. I don't know about that kickstarter - but you have to ask yourself what will you be wanting to print if you jump into this hobby?  - and will that printer do what you want to print? Are there other printer options already on the market that will do what you are looking to print? 

good luck

Ok, many questions ensue as I just recently started 3D printing myself.

First, does he mean he'll take that one and you get his hand-me-down?  If so, what does he have that you would be getting?

For whoever is getting the new phrozen filament printer, what are you using it for?  Why multiple colors and why filament?  I am a resin user and I am painting my minis...  I find the resolution on filament was not to my liking and color is based on resin properties for me.

Regarding what he already has, if that's what you would be getting, what would you print on it and have you seen him do something like that already?  If he has the settings, resolution, print timing, etc. for the types of things you want to print now you save yourself a boatload of questions/problems in learning the process.  I have a local friend who has the same printer I do one generation older...  Using his settings, which are vastly different from the demo settings, has saved me probably $50 in resin learning the right settings.  I have had one print (only one) fail for settings, one because I misjudged the amount of resin in my tray and lost 4 models out of 20 in a print because my printer was just off level enough that they would not adhere to my build plate...  (Having someone experienced with your printer as a local resource is invaluable!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

... why filament?  I am a resin user and I am painting my minis...  

The answer is simple. Non toxic. Resin, you might as well put your hands in a nuclear reactor if it touches your skin. You can't dispose of it via the garbage (which we know millions of gallons of the stuff is not disposed of properly by nerds worldwide), and much worse.

It's a huge hassle.

As for resolution, sure miniatures are better in resin. But most things don't need miniature quality. Like terrain, tokens, and more. Faster, cheaper, safer.

<shrug> If that's the answer, respect.  It's not exactly common knowledge though unless you look into it though so I didn't want to jump to that conclusion.

My wife and I have (large) animals, one of whom is prone to allergies and I had to think very carefully about how to set up a print station before I made a decision.  This is another reason for the questions about local support...  It makes a huge difference to know what you are getting into.