40K 9th ed

KennyD76

I'm glad they're changing the character targeting rules. That was, by far, the worst thing about 8th edition (in conjunction with ITC prevalence of LoS blocking terrain).

On several occasions, my shooting phase had to be skipped entirely because the only models I could see were characters, but there were closer, unseen models that somehow therefore preventing me from shooting.

It made no narrative sense, didn't seem to be supported by the rules, yet I've been told many times "that's just how it works". 

Thank God it no longer "works" like that.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'm glad they're changing the character targeting rules. That was, by far, the worst thing about 8th edition (in conjunction with ITC prevalence of LoS blocking terrain).

On several occasions, my shooting phase had to be skipped entirely because the only models I could see were characters, but there were closer, unseen models that somehow therefore preventing me from shooting.

It made no narrative sense, didn't seem to be supported by the rules, yet I've been told many times "that's just how it works". 

Thank God it no longer "works" like that.

How do the rules previewed differ from the current rules for targeting purposes?

I’m still not clear on what happens if the enemy character is within 3” of an appropriate unit but the character is visible and the unit is not (and both character and unit are equidistant or the unit is closer).

If Captain Hero has come ‘round the corner of a building, but line of sight to Grunt Squad is still blocked by it... Can the enemy shoot Captain Hero or not?

1 minute ago, Ish said:

I’m still not clear on what happens if the enemy character is within 3” of an appropriate unit but the character is visible and the unit is not (and both character and unit are equidistant or the unit is closer).

If Captain Hero has come ‘round the corner of a building, but line of sight to Grunt Squad is still blocked by it... Can the enemy shoot Captain Hero or not?

Based on the wording, I would say not.

You can't shoot him unless he's visible and closest. If either of those things is untrue, he cannot be targeted. Still conceptually silly, but not as easily abused.

For instance, one of the games where the TO ruled that I was not allowed to have a shooting phase was one where a building deep in my opponent's table quarter contained TFCs and eliminators (no LoS required). Then they had techmarines with cannons standing on top, in plain view. Then they infiltrated a scout squad into the first floor of a building in the neutral table quarter nearest to mine.

The presence of the scout squad sitting 5 feet away from his characters turned my shooting phase off entirely. Absolutely nothing I could do to counter play. I was not allowed to shoot until my opponent decided to allow me to.

That's much harder to pull off now.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

So.  The Sisters of Battle, which as you all know are the consistently most awesome and inarguably righte and good choice, as far as armies go, have once again been chosen to deliver unto you the Imperial Truth in this article. to be the absolutely last faction to get a codex in the current edition.

Fixed that for you. Getting the last codex of an edition as much a part of their character as fleur-de-lys and flame-throwers, has been since practically day one.

The first Codex: Sisters of Battle back in Second Edition came out a mere two months before Third Edition; they spent third edition standing around with just the “back of the book” list for years until Codex: Witchhunters came out in 2003, a mere eight months before Fourth Edition; and then they had to wait nine years and three editions for Codex: Sisters of Battle during Sixth Edition in 2013, followed shortly by Seventh Edition... during which, once again, they never got a codex.

Here we are at the arse-end of Eighth Edition and their shiny new codex is one again the last in the line.

• Like 1

Oops, I left out a key bit: 

Matt: Burna-bommers were already good, but the changes to Flyers in the new edition make them even better (take two!). While they’re great flying around immolating targets, they’re even better if someone is foolish enough to shoot it down. Unlike most other exploding vehicles, Burna-bommers explode on a 4+ instead of a 6+, and they do 3 mortal wounds instead of D3. With the Flyin’ ‘Eadbutt Stratagem from Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast, you can guarantee that it will crash and burn. So rush them into the middle of your opponent’s gunline and do an incredible amount of damage.

Emphasis added.

• Like 1

I was trying a Supreme Command detachment with the new harlequin rules. His Flying Eadbutt hit a death jester, 2 troupe masters, a shadowseer, a raider, and a venom. 6 units and he rolled 5 3s and a 1. 

I didn't understand why he killed his plane that had 6 wounds left until my army took 16 mortal wounds. Then I understood too well...