Rumors of 7th Ed

JMGraham

Personally I still don't think they are addressing the imbalance of Vehicles Vs Wraithlord example they gave...That Wraithlord still cannot be killed from that one major shot that can destroy a tank in shot.  That piece still does not make sense to me...

But oh well, that is better I guess needing a 7.  The whittle down effect though still bones the HP 2 vehicles :(

• Like 1

Personally I still don't think they are addressing the imbalance of Vehicles Vs Wraithlord example they gave...That Wraithlord still cannot be killed from that one major shot that can destroy a tank in shot.  That piece still does not make sense to me...

But oh well, that is better I guess needing a 7.  The whittle down effect though still bones the HP 2 vehicles :(

Umm... doesn't a D wound kill a Wraithlord outright?

Correct, Pretre read my missing marks...I was excluding D weapons from that ideal.

It still bothers me that, as in Fluger's example above, those weapons still have a chance to Destroy said Tank in one shot, but no chance to destroy said Wraithlord/Riptide/WraithKnight/DreadKnight etc in one shot.

But yes, it is better.

I've heard this sort of argument before. And you are right, he cannot be killed by one shot. But he can be killed by lasgun fire. And bolter fire. Unless he's T7, then ignore the lasgun line. I don't know what the toughness of a wraithlord is.... I'm a nid player and have been in this discussion before though. And poison? Oh man. Oh man. Also consider points. I've thought about this more from the nid perspective, but most of the MCs (at least in the 5th codex) are closer to the point value of a Land Raider than other vehicles.

It's a tradeoff. It's not that one is more powerful than the other.  Vehicles are immune to poison and significantly more resilient to small arms (and in some cases completely immune). They are also immune to being locked down in combat (walkers excluded). They move faster. They also have rules for firing all weapons, rather than being limited to only two. And they often can cram stuff inside. That increases the value and effectiveness of those units that are embarked.

MCs are better at weathering fire. They can't be shot off the table by a single melta. But they can be swarmed with missiles. Or bolter fire. Or poison. They'll only ever be able to fire two weapons. Regardless of moving. And when they do move, it's only 6". Sure they can move more, but only another d6 that takes up their shooting. You can lock them down in combat too!

I like to think I've got a unique perspective. I've only ever used MCs. The one and only time I've fielded vehicles was during the OFCC when the units of the guy next to me on my team were dying and coming onto my table. I had dreads! And drop pods! I've seen MCs lose 2-3 wounds to a good volley of bolter fire. Even massed lasgun fire is extremely effective. And then I look at needing to destroy their vehicles, and I can't just toss my S3 or S4 at it and be successful. I can out maneuver them to get at the soft spot for armor, but what happens then? Anything less than S4 is completely pointless. And S4 is only marginally more effective against AV10 than it is against T6/7 MCs. The only reason it's more effective is because vehicles don't get armor saves. But it's completely negated by having one more point of armor.

I like to think of it as MC/Vehicle envy. Whichever one you don't have is better.

• Like 4

You need STR 5 to wound a Wraithlord.  However, you can tie him down for quite a long time with a guard unit, or some other cheap thing.  Wraithlords went up in points considerably in the last codex.  People who complain that they're not vehicles don't seem to watch too often when they die to a devastator squad or a Tau Fire Warrior unit, or a 90 point squad of Deamonettes.

You need STR 5 to wound a Wraithlord.  However, you can tie him down for quite a long time with a guard unit, or some other cheap thing.  Wraithlords went up in points considerably in the last codex.  People who complain that they're not vehicles don't seem to watch too often when they die to a devastator squad or a Tau Fire Warrior unit, or a 90 point squad of Deamonettes.

Ahhh, T8. Ok. Didn't realize it was that high. But yeah, that last sentence is the killer.

With every passing leak I grow more and more excited.  I can't wait to dig into this.  My head if fairly bursting with new ideas for how to use things...  Awesome stuff so far.  i was way more weary of 6E, because I loved 5E.  People kind of grew to dislike certain things about 6E and 6E is pretty incapable of dealing with all the new stuff that came out so 7E makes sense and as I read I grow more convinced that the Edition will work better with the codex's

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I saw rumors changing jink to be like a flier jink save for skimmers and bikes instead of always on after moving. that is only change to skimmers I have seen, and frankly I like that change.

I will like that change if I can jink without having moved, so first turn I don't have to reserve.