40K 9th ed

KennyD76

Geeks and games did 15 percent off and had plenty of box sets at 130pm today. 

I read that the new chapter approved rule book has the rules in it, so maybe no big expensive book needed.

Plus the app has rules and codexes. We will see how well that works. Not going to hold my breath but I sure wish GW hits the app out of the park. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Geeks and games did 15 percent off and had plenty of box sets at 130pm today. 

I read that the new chapter approved rule book has the rules in it, so maybe no big expensive book needed.

Plus the app has rules and codexes. We will see how well that works. Not going to hold my breath but I sure wish GW hits the app out of the park. 

Here is the contents page for the GT Book. Get the BRB for the lore is likely the best idea though there could be some different missions. 

60040199125_ChapterApprovedGTPackContent

• Like 1

I briefly considered getting just the Chapter Approved books once I learned they included the rules... But I realized I haven’t bought a full-size core rulebook since Third Edition. It’d be nice to have a big fluff bible again.

• Like 2

“Forged in Battle” says that when resolving an attack made with a weapon that has an Armor Penetration characteristic of -1 against a unit with the Salamanders’ chapter tactic, the weapon is treated as having an Armour Penetration characteristic of 0.

The erratum for the storm shield adds 1 to the result of a saving throw. Salamanders are still going to be helped by this!

3+ Armor Save versus AP -1 (treated as AP 0) weapon...  

• Roll a 1; An unmodified roll of 1 always fails;

• Roll a 2, modified to a 3; Pass;   

• Roll a 3, modified to a 4; Pass;  

• Roll a 4, modified to a 5; Pass;  

• Roll a 5, modified to a 6; Pass;  

• Roll a 6, modified to a 7; Pass.  

3+ Armor Save versus AP -2 weapon...  

• Roll a 1; An unmodified roll of 1 always fails;

• Roll a 2, modified to a 1; Fail;   

• Roll a 3, modified to a 2; Fail;  

• Roll a 4, modified to a 3; Pass;  

• Roll a 5, modified to a 4; Pass;  

• Roll a 6, modified to a 5; Pass.  

Against AP -3 or better, maths make it equivalent (AP-3) or better (AP-4 or greater) to switch to the 4+ Invulnerable Save

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

So then wouldnt this let you ignore up to AP2?

I believe the Salamander's Chapter Trait is to only ignore AP 1 weaponry. If a weapon is AP 2 or above then the trait doesn't apply. An auto bolt rifle's AP1 would be ignored, but a plasma gun's AP -3 wouldn't. It's an all or nothing trait. This is much like a Rubric Marines "All is Dust" ability. They normally get a +1 to their armor save if they get hit with a Dmg 1 weapon. However, if you hit them with anything but that then their armor bonus is nullified and they have to suffer the affects of the weapon's ap as well. 

And on Terminators, with their base 2+ Save, the Salamanders chapter tactics’ benefit would be even better than on power armored Marines’ 3+ Save. But, at present, no Terminators have the new storm shield...

It’s not nearly as broken as the 1+ Save shenanigans, but it’s still nice.

• Like 1